    without having to totally reconfigure the existing network. If it'll do
    layer2 I can configure the layer3 stuff latter.

    ADVthaAnksNCE

    Joel M. Baldwin, Nov 6, 2003

  2. In article <Xns942B96DF3782Fqumqatsoutelorg@66.250.146.150>,
    Joel M. Baldwin <> wrote:
    :So the question I'm really wanting answered is:

    :Will a layer 3 Cisco 3750 switch do layer 2 switching out of the box?
    :I'd like to drop one into our network to replace a 3508G layer2 switch
    :without having to totally reconfigure the existing network. If it'll do
    :layer2 I can configure the layer3 stuff latter.

    Yes, by default it's a switch.
    Putting it into routing mode requires using the 'no switchport' command.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...eference_chapter09186a008017f8ed.html#3827350

    "By default, all interfaces are in Layer 2 mode."
    -- Rich Kulawiec

    Walter Roberson, Nov 6, 2003

  3. Joel M. Baldwin

    Scooby Guest

    Well, that is if you want to change one port to router mode. What I do is
    use the 'ip routing command' which will make the whole box function as a
    switch with routing capabilities. Then, you can creat vlans, each with
    their own ip and the box will route. It also will pass the appropriate
    routing protocols as well.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_command_refe

    Scooby, Nov 6, 2003