    mediatrix 4402 but i recently read that their tech support is bad which put
    me off.

    any assistance appreciated.
    Cardiff IT Support Ltd, Jun 8, 2007

  2. In article <0Phai.5885$>,
    Cardiff IT Support Ltd <> wrote:
    >hi,
    >
    >i have to do an asterisk install for a client with 2 x ISDN2e lines.
    >
    >rather than put ISDN cards in the PC, I wanted to use a 2 port bri / sip
    >gateway.

    Why not PCI cards in the PC?

    I did an install with one of these recently:

    http://www.asteriskcards.eu/webstore/beronet_bn2s0.php

    375 euroblobs though, but it was delivered quickly and installation was
    fairly straightforward.

    >does anyone have any experiences? recommended products? I was considering
    >mediatrix 4402 but i recently read that their tech support is bad which put
    >me off.
    >
    >any assistance appreciated.

    Or a USB one? The Xorcom stuff might work...

    http://www.xorcom.com/products/astribank_bri

    http://www.voipon.co.uk/xorcom-astribankbri-2-port-channel-bank-p-531.html

    Drop me an email if you want any info on the Beronet card - it seems to
    be working well so-far.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Jun 8, 2007

  3. > Why not PCI cards in the PC?

    > I did an install with one of these recently:
    >
    > http://www.asteriskcards.eu/webstore/beronet_bn2s0.php
    >
    > 375 euroblobs though, but it was delivered quickly and installation was
    > fairly straightforward.
    >
    >>does anyone have any experiences? recommended products? I was considering
    >>mediatrix 4402 but i recently read that their tech support is bad which
    >>put
    >>me off.
    >>
    >>any assistance appreciated.

    thanks Gordon.

    I need to start and finish this install next saturday so I need to know it
    is going to work / i am going to be able to get it working.

    I felt that a sip gateway would be the most straight forward although it
    would be tidier if it could be done (i could do it) with a card.

    i was considering the digium card, as it has hardware echo cancellation too.
    is the beronet active or passive? I thought HFC based cards where the ones
    to be avoided?

    thanks for your help...
    Cardiff IT Support Ltd, Jun 9, 2007
  4. In article <Ejuai.10180$>,
    Cardiff IT Support Ltd <> wrote:

    >> Why not PCI cards in the PC?
    >>
    >> I did an install with one of these recently:
    >>
    >> http://www.asteriskcards.eu/webstore/beronet_bn2s0.php
    >>
    >> 375 euroblobs though, but it was delivered quickly and installation was
    >> fairly straightforward.
    >>
    >>>does anyone have any experiences? recommended products? I was considering
    >>>mediatrix 4402 but i recently read that their tech support is bad which
    >>>put
    >>>me off.
    >>>
    >>>any assistance appreciated.

    >thanks Gordon.
    >
    >I need to start and finish this install next saturday so I need to know it
    >is going to work / i am going to be able to get it working.
    >
    >I felt that a sip gateway would be the most straight forward although it
    >would be tidier if it could be done (i could do it) with a card.
    >
    >i was considering the digium card, as it has hardware echo cancellation too.
    >is the beronet active or passive? I thought HFC based cards where the ones
    >to be avoided?
    >
    >thanks for your help...

    Sent you an email.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Jun 9, 2007
  5. Cardiff IT Support Ltd

    Tim Guest

    Cardiff IT Support Ltd wrote:

    > i have to do an asterisk install for a client with 2 x ISDN2e lines.
    >
    > rather than put ISDN cards in the PC, I wanted to use a 2 port bri / sip
    > gateway.

    This is a very common question to which there is no good answer.

    I've been looking for a really decent BRI - SIP gateway for the last 5
    years.

    Needs to

    1) Stay up and not crash. Not need rebooting ever.
    2) Work properly. Design by somebody who understands SIP.
    3) Be sold for a sensible price.

    The nearest you will probably get is the Parley gateways from Partner
    Voxstream in Denmark. Unless things have changed, these are really
    designed for sitting between a traditional ISDN PBX and normal ISDN
    lines, to provide cheaper calls over VoIP. Rather than being an ISDN
    access device for an IP PBX.

    Have you seen the Junghanns cards?

    Tim
    Tim, Jun 10, 2007
  6. In article <466bfa10$0$640$>,
    Tim <> wrote:
    >Cardiff IT Support Ltd wrote:
    >>
    >> i have to do an asterisk install for a client with 2 x ISDN2e lines.
    >>
    >> rather than put ISDN cards in the PC, I wanted to use a 2 port bri / sip
    >> gateway.

    >This is a very common question to which there is no good answer.
    >
    >I've been looking for a really decent BRI - SIP gateway for the last 5
    >years.
    >
    >Needs to
    >
    >1) Stay up and not crash. Not need rebooting ever.
    >2) Work properly. Design by somebody who understands SIP.
    >3) Be sold for a sensible price.
    >
    >The nearest you will probably get is the Parley gateways from Partner
    >Voxstream in Denmark. Unless things have changed, these are really
    >designed for sitting between a traditional ISDN PBX and normal ISDN
    >lines, to provide cheaper calls over VoIP. Rather than being an ISDN
    >access device for an IP PBX.

    So what if it was a stand-alone Linux box which booted off flash, had
    a 4-port ISDN card in it, and ... er ... Ran asterisk to act as a SIP
    gateway? (I know asterisk might not have the most perfect SIP interface,
    but it generally works!)

    The trouble is, I couldn't put this together for much less than £500,
    and £300 of that goes in the bloody ISDN card )-:

    And if you've done that, you might as well just use the box as the
    PBX anyway...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Jun 10, 2007
  7. Cardiff IT Support Ltd

    Tim Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > So what if it was a stand-alone Linux box which booted off flash, had
    > a 4-port ISDN card in it, and ... er ... Ran asterisk to act as a SIP
    > gateway? (I know asterisk might not have the most perfect SIP interface,
    > but it generally works!)

    That would get you to about the right place :)

    http://linitx.com/product_info.php?...=1386&osCsid=bd8c22b5c2353233b48cc2a9cb74331a

    has room for the PCI card. If you want to build your own.

    If you don't want to DIY, just buy a ready made version :)

    Tim
    Tim, Jun 10, 2007
  8. In article <466c0438$0$645$>,
    Tim <> wrote:
    >Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >> So what if it was a stand-alone Linux box which booted off flash, had
    >> a 4-port ISDN card in it, and ... er ... Ran asterisk to act as a SIP
    >> gateway? (I know asterisk might not have the most perfect SIP interface,
    >> but it generally works!)

    >That would get you to about the right place :)
    >
    >http://linitx.com/product_info.php?...=1386&osCsid=bd8c22b5c2353233b48cc2a9cb74331a
    >
    >has room for the PCI card. If you want to build your own.

    At £309 for just the box + mobo (no processor or memory), that's somewhat
    expensive ... and it looks like there's no hole on the back for the PCI
    card to poke out...

    >If you don't want to DIY, just buy a ready made version :)

    Well I already do DIY - I have a ready built Asterisk based PBX thingy
    that boots off flash and takes a single PCI card... (and it's a lot
    cheaper than that unit above! - well for me to buy, anyway :)

    But I think the point was to find a lower-cost device that would
    do what's required... and as I said, if I went down that route just
    to provide an ISDN to SIP gateway, I might as well just use this whole
    thing as the PBX and be done with it.

    I think the OP was more intersted in an external box to work with
    their own (asterisk?) solution - maybe because there are some concerns
    about ISDN and Asterisk and so on. I only have experience with one ISDN2
    installation so-far, and although that's ticking away very nicely, and
    doing what it should, it's not exactly a good statistical sample!

    The only other device I've found that might be almost usable is a USB2
    device:

    http://www.xorcom.com/products/astribank_bri

    but it's supported with asterisk, so might be an option...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Jun 10, 2007