    Thanks a lot!

    Giorgos

    , Apr 15, 2010

  2. alexd Guest

    On 15/04/10 12:03, wrote:

    > I need to check the status of the BRI interfaces from all of the
    > routers on our network. I have to check it everyday to see which one
    > is active.
    > Is there any utility that performs such a task?

    Yes. Any NMS worthy of the description should do this. As an example, I
    use Zabbix to poll the ifOperStatus of interfaces I'm interested in.

    > Do I have to enable SNMP on the routers and would the network performance be affected by
    > this move?

    You do not have to, as you could send remote syslog and have your syslog
    server alert you when it sees an up/down message. However, SNMP is the
    cross-platform standard way of doing this so will probably be easier.

    As for performance, it's impossible to measure something without
    affecting it, but so long as you're not polling every 5 seconds or
    something silly like that you shouldn't notice. You can also have a
    device send an SNMP 'trap' to inform you of the interface changing status.

    And finally, for a higher-level overview of how things are working, you
    can poll the next hop of a particular route with SNMP to see which way
    traffic is flowing, although this may not apply to your network topology.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    18:52:38 up 6 days, 8:04, 2 users, load average: 0.07, 0.17, 0.17

    alexd, Apr 15, 2010

  3. Guest

    Thank you for your time and information, Alexd.
    I'm thinking of trying MRTG.

    Giorgos

    On 15 Áðñ, 21:12, alexd <> wrote:
    > On 15/04/10 12:03, wrote:
    >
    > > I need to check the status of the BRI interfaces from all of the
    > > routers on our network. I have to check it everyday to see which one
    > > is active.
    > > Is there any utility that performs such a task?

    > Yes. Any NMS worthy of the description should do this. As an example, I
    > use Zabbix to poll the ifOperStatus of interfaces I'm interested in.
    >
    > > Do I have to enable SNMP on the routers and would the network performance be affected by
    > > this move?

    > You do not have to, as you could send remote syslog and have your syslog
    > server alert you when it sees an up/down message. However, SNMP is the
    > cross-platform standard way of doing this so will probably be easier.
    >
    > As for performance, it's impossible to measure something without
    > affecting it, but so long as you're not polling every 5 seconds or
    > something silly like that you shouldn't notice. You can also have a
    > device send an SNMP 'trap' to inform you of the interface changing status..
    >
    > And finally, for a higher-level overview of how things are working, you
    > can poll the next hop of a particular route with SNMP to see which way
    > traffic is flowing, although this may not apply to your network topology.
    >
    > --
    >   <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    >   18:52:38 up 6 days,  8:04,  2 users,  load average: 0.07, 0.17, 0.17
    >   It is better to have been wasted and then sober
    >   than to never have been wasted at all

    , Apr 21, 2010
  4. bod43 Guest

    On 21 Apr, 06:47, "" <> wrote:
    > Thank you for your time and information, Alexd.
    > I'm thinking of trying MRTG.
    >
    > Giorgos
    >
    > On 15 Áðñ, 21:12, alexd <> wrote:
    >
    > > On 15/04/10 12:03, wrote:

    > > > I need to check the status of the BRI interfaces from all of the
    > > > routers on our network. I have to check it everyday to see which one
    > > > is active.
    > > > Is there any utility that performs such a task?

    > > Yes. Any NMS worthy of the description should do this. As an example, I
    > > use Zabbix to poll the ifOperStatus of interfaces I'm interested in.

    > > > Do I have to enable SNMP on the routers and would the network performance be affected by
    > > > this move?

    > > You do not have to, as you could send remote syslog and have your syslog
    > > server alert you when it sees an up/down message. However, SNMP is the
    > > cross-platform standard way of doing this so will probably be easier.

    > > As for performance, it's impossible to measure something without
    > > affecting it, but so long as you're not polling every 5 seconds or
    > > something silly like that you shouldn't notice. You can also have a
    > > device send an SNMP 'trap' to inform you of the interface changing status.

    > > And finally, for a higher-level overview of how things are working, you
    > > can poll the next hop of a particular route with SNMP to see which way
    > > traffic is flowing, although this may not apply to your network topology.

    MRTG can for sure do the job but I suspect that it
    is no longer in development (years ago now) and that
    you might be better investing your time in something else.

    I have not used it but Cacti seems to be recommended.

    bod43, Apr 21, 2010
  5. S. Checker Guest

    bod43 <> wrote:

    > MRTG can for sure do the job but I suspect that it
    > is no longer in development (years ago now) and that
    > you might be better investing your time in something else.

    Strange comment. The latest release of MRTG is from 20-Jan-2010.

    However, it's more a measurement tool than alerting. I measure traffic
    on a whole pile of BRIs with it, but for notification there are a
    number of SNMP tools, including your suggestion of Cacti.
    --
    Ceci n'est pas une sig.

    S. Checker, Apr 22, 2010
  6. bod43 Guest

    On 22 Apr, 20:31, (S. Checker) wrote:
    > bod43 <> wrote:
    > > MRTG can for sure do the job but I suspect that it
    > > is no longer in development (years ago now) and that
    > > you might be better investing your time in something else.

    > Strange comment. The latest release of MRTG is from 20-Jan-2010.

    Hmm. Appears I was completely wrong. Sorry.

    I recall looking at MRTG a few years ago and for some reason
    decided that development had been stopped.

    bod43, Apr 23, 2010
  7. Guest

    I mentioned MRTG, because I'm already using it on some of our routers
    to check the speed utilization. It would be great if I set it up to
    include the BRI interfaces as well. Though it will take lots of time
    and research to setup all those MIBs and OIDs, it would be very
    interesting.
    Alerting is not on my plans yet, that's why MRTG would be one of the
    best solutions.

    Thanks again!

    Giorgos

    , Apr 23, 2010
  8. Rob Guest

    <> wrote:
    > I mentioned MRTG, because I'm already using it on some of our routers
    > to check the speed utilization. It would be great if I set it up to
    > include the BRI interfaces as well. Though it will take lots of time
    > and research to setup all those MIBs and OIDs, it would be very
    > interesting.

    Not at all, it only requires that you add the BRI interfaces to the
    mrtg.cfg the same way you add all other interfaces.

    Make sure you don't use the numerical interface number as that is
    going to change.

    Something like this will work:

    Target[router.20]: \BRI1/0\:1:public@router
    SetEnv[router.20]: MRTG_INT_IP="" MRTG_INT_DESCR="BRI1/0:1"
    (plus the remainder of a normal entry in mrtg.cfg)

    Rob, Apr 23, 2010
  9. Daniel-G Guest

    alexd said the following on 04/15/2010 08:12 PM:
    > On 15/04/10 12:03, wrote:
    >
    >> I need to check the status of the BRI interfaces from all of the
    >> routers on our network. I have to check it everyday to see which one
    >> is active.
    >> Is there any utility that performs such a task?

    > Yes. Any NMS worthy of the description should do this. As an example, I
    > use Zabbix to poll the ifOperStatus of interfaces I'm interested in.

    From IOS 12.1 one can use:
    snmp-server ifindex persist
    may apply globally or at the interface level

    Daniel-G, Apr 24, 2010