    Sepi

    Things should be made as simple as possible- no simpler.
    - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

    Sepi, Sep 1, 2003

  2. "Sepi" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is there any way to extend the Dos memory over 640k?
    >
    > I've heard,that gamers can do it.
    > I am using Win98.

    *sigh* I *knew* I should have kept using DOS...

    Use Google to search for EMS and XMS...

    Here's a quick link explaing EMS a bit:
    http://tinyurl.com/lutb

    HTH

    Sentient Fluid, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Sepi

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Sep 1, 2003
  4. This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Mon, 01 Sep 2003 19:36:20
    +0100, °Mike° uttered this:

    >DOS Memory Optimisation
    >http://www.le.ac.uk/cc/dsss/docs/dos-mem.shtml

    IIRC, I don't think Win98 has Memmaker? [ Or was that 95... :-/ ]
    I rather think the OP will have to learn about how to use 'loadhigh' &
    'devicehigh' commands etc, & which order is best to get the maximum amount of
    Conventional Memory. I used to do a lot of writing of my own Autoexec.bat &
    Config.sys files to squeeze as much CM as I could for games! ;-)

    To the OP:-

    The following should be put into Config.sys:
    DOS=HIGH,UMB
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
    And replace DEVICE statements with DEVICEHIGH.
    Any FILES statement replace with FILESHIGH
    This is if you *don't* need EMS memory. If you *do* need EMS [which is doubtful
    as only a handful of VERY old games needed it] then you have to use the RAM
    flag, rather than NOEMS, in line two.

    Then replace LOAD statements in AUTOEXEC.BAT with LOADHIGH.
    It should give much the same results as Memmaker.

    The MEM command with /d switch will show what's in memory.
    mem /d
    Adding the /p pauses the screen between pages.
    mem /d /p

    Note the sizes and loading sequence. You can edit the config.sys file
    to place the items, like drivers, in size order by the largest first.. not at
    the top of the file but just change the sequence where they are in
    the file. This is basically what Memmaker does.

    However if you do have Memmaker, fine! :)

    --
    "Normal service *maybe* resumed ASAP,
    OTOH maybe not!"

    William Poaster, Sep 1, 2003
  5. Sepi

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 23:54:26 +0100, in
    <>
    William Poaster scrawled:

    >This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Mon, 01 Sep 2003 19:36:20
    >+0100, °Mike° uttered this:
    >
    >>DOS Memory Optimisation
    >>http://www.le.ac.uk/cc/dsss/docs/dos-mem.shtml

    >IIRC, I don't think Win98 has Memmaker? [ Or was that 95... :-/ ]
    >I rather think the OP will have to learn about how to use 'loadhigh' &
    >'devicehigh' commands etc, & which order is best to get the maximum amount of
    >Conventional Memory. I used to do a lot of writing of my own Autoexec.bat &
    >Config.sys files to squeeze as much CM as I could for games! ;-)

    Yeah, I just pulled that link from my favorites, without checking it. :-/

    <snip>

    --
    "That'll teach me!"

    °Mike°, Sep 2, 2003
  6. Sepi

    Shep© Guest

    Shep©, Sep 2, 2003
  7. This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Tue, 02 Sep 2003 00:13:18
    +0100, °Mike° uttered this:

    >On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 23:54:26 +0100, in
    > <>
    > William Poaster scrawled:
    >
    >>This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Mon, 01 Sep 2003 19:36:20
    >>+0100, °Mike° uttered this:
    >>
    >>>DOS Memory Optimisation
    >>>http://www.le.ac.uk/cc/dsss/docs/dos-mem.shtml

    >>IIRC, I don't think Win98 has Memmaker? [ Or was that 95... :-/ ]
    >>I rather think the OP will have to learn about how to use 'loadhigh' &
    >>'devicehigh' commands etc, & which order is best to get the maximum amount of
    >>Conventional Memory. I used to do a lot of writing of my own Autoexec.bat &
    >>Config.sys files to squeeze as much CM as I could for games! ;-)

    >Yeah, I just pulled that link from my favorites, without checking it. :-/
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >--
    >"That'll teach me!"

    Well like I said Mike, I don't *think* it had Memmaker, but
    it's so long since I used 98...... :)

    William Poaster, Sep 2, 2003
  8. Sepi

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 00:38:53 +0100, in
    <>
    William Poaster scrawled:

    >This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Tue, 02 Sep 2003 00:13:18
    >+0100, °Mike° uttered this:
    >
    >>On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 23:54:26 +0100, in
    >> <>
    >> William Poaster scrawled:
    >>
    >>>This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Mon, 01 Sep 2003 19:36:20
    >>>+0100, °Mike° uttered this:

    >>>IIRC, I don't think Win98 has Memmaker? [ Or was that 95... :-/ ]
    >>>I rather think the OP will have to learn about how to use 'loadhigh' &
    >>>'devicehigh' commands etc, & which order is best to get the maximum amount of
    >>>Conventional Memory. I used to do a lot of writing of my own Autoexec.bat &
    >>>Config.sys files to squeeze as much CM as I could for games! ;-)

    >>Yeah, I just pulled that link from my favorites, without checking it. :-/
    >>
    >><snip>
    >>
    >>--
    >>"That'll teach me!"

    >Well like I said Mike, I don't *think* it had Memmaker, but
    >it's so long since I used 98...... :)

    No, it doesn't. Memmaker is for DOS 6.x - Win9x runs on DOS 7. :)

    °Mike°, Sep 2, 2003
  9. *sob*
    That brings back so many fond memories!
    Thanks William Poaster!
    *sniffle*

    --
    Or was that mammaries.....?

    &

    Sentient Fluid, Sep 2, 2003
  10. Sepi

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 23:54:26 +0100, William Poaster
    <> scribbled:

    >This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Mon, 01 Sep 2003 19:36:20
    >+0100, °Mike° uttered this:
    >
    >>DOS Memory Optimisation
    >>http://www.le.ac.uk/cc/dsss/docs/dos-mem.shtml

    >IIRC, I don't think Win98 has Memmaker? [ Or was that 95... :-/ ]
    >I rather think the OP will have to learn about how to use 'loadhigh' &
    >'devicehigh' commands etc, & which order is best to get the maximum amount of
    >Conventional Memory. I used to do a lot of writing of my own Autoexec.bat &
    >Config.sys files to squeeze as much CM as I could for games! ;-)

    MemMaker sucked moose cock, QEMM was the ONLY way to go in
    the DOS days.

    --

    Exxy is my hero!

    -= Hawk =-, Sep 2, 2003
  11. Sepi

    DC Guest

    On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 04:00:33 GMT, -= Hawk =-
    <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 23:54:26 +0100, William Poaster
    ><> scribbled:

    [snip]

    Please provide download link for MemMaker. Much obliged. };O)

    --
    DC

    ..liaj ot oG .ACMD eht detaloiv evah uoy ,ecnetnes siht no noitpyrcne eht
    gnikaerb yB

    DC, Sep 2, 2003
  12. This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Tue, 02 Sep 2003 00:44:15
    +0100, °Mike° uttered this:

    >On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 00:38:53 +0100, in
    > <>
    > William Poaster scrawled:
    >
    >>This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Tue, 02 Sep 2003 00:13:18
    >>+0100, °Mike° uttered this:
    >>
    >>>On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 23:54:26 +0100, in
    >>> <>
    >>> William Poaster scrawled:

    >>>Yeah, I just pulled that link from my favorites, without checking it. :-/
    >>>
    >>><snip>
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>"That'll teach me!"

    >>Well like I said Mike, I don't *think* it had Memmaker, but
    >>it's so long since I used 98...... :)

    >No, it doesn't. Memmaker is for DOS 6.x - Win9x runs on DOS 7. :)

    Yes, I remember now! :)

    William Poaster, Sep 2, 2003
  13. This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Tue, 02 Sep 2003 01:05:32
    GMT, Sentient Fluid uttered this:

    >*sob*
    >That brings back so many fond memories!
    >Thanks William Poaster!
    >*sniffle*

    <Handing you a clean hanky>
    You're welcome SF! :)
    It also brought back memories for me too.
    I have various Config.sys & Autoexec.bat files, burnt to a CD somewhere... along
    with DOS 6.22. One day I may make a partition & install it......
    "Just for old time's sake"

    >--
    >Or was that mammaries.....?

    "Whatever turns you on!" <g>

    >"William Poaster" <> wrote in message
    >> This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Mon, 01 Sep 2003

    >19:36:20
    >> +0100, °Mike° uttered this:

    <snip>

    William Poaster, Sep 2, 2003
  14. This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on 2 Sep 2003 04:03:26 GMT, DC
    uttered this:

    >On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 04:00:33 GMT, -= Hawk =-
    ><> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 23:54:26 +0100, William Poaster
    >><> scribbled:

    >[snip]
    >
    >Please provide download link for MemMaker. Much obliged. };O)

    There is a MS-DOS resource page here:-
    http://www.oldstuff.myagora.net/powerload/msdos.htm

    You may find Memmaker on it....

    William Poaster, Sep 2, 2003
  15. Sepi

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On 2 Sep 2003 04:03:26 GMT, DC <> scribbled:

    >On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 04:00:33 GMT, -= Hawk =-
    ><> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 23:54:26 +0100, William Poaster
    >><> scribbled:

    >[snip]
    >
    >Please provide download link for MemMaker. Much obliged. };O)

    You've got a moose you need blown? Memmaker was PART of
    DOS 6.x.

    --

    Exxy is my hero!

    -= Hawk =-, Sep 2, 2003
  16. "DC" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 04:00:33 GMT, -= Hawk =-
    > <> wrote:
    > > On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 23:54:26 +0100, William Poaster
    > ><> scribbled:

    > [snip]
    >
    > Please provide download link for MemMaker. Much obliged. };O)

    Try here:
    http://tinyurl.com/lxzi

    Sentient Fluid, Sep 2, 2003
  17. "William Poaster" <> wrote in message
    > This is the Flibbydabby Dee service of the BBC, & on Tue, 02 Sep 2003

    01:05:32
    > GMT, Sentient Fluid uttered this:
    >
    > >*sob*
    > >That brings back so many fond memories!
    > >Thanks William Poaster!
    > >*sniffle*

    > <Handing you a clean hanky>
    > You're welcome SF! :)
    > It also brought back memories for me too.
    > I have various Config.sys & Autoexec.bat files, burnt to a CD somewhere...

    along
    > with DOS 6.22. One day I may make a partition & install it......
    > "Just for old time's sake"

    I remember doing everything I could to avoid MS back then... even made sure
    to use PC-DOS. I taught everyone I knew how to set up the boot menu for
    different configurations. I was so into gaming... I had a different config
    for almost every game. I also had a couple of options set so my EMS and XMS
    were as optimized as possible.... Yeah.. I was a techno geek. :-D

    Then I couldn't afford to upgrade my computer for the longest time (2 years
    ago) and I was stuck with a rocking DX4/100 with a whopping 16 megs of RAM!!
    Heh...

    --
    Looks for the path off of Memory Lane...

    Sentient Fluid, Sep 2, 2003
  18. Sepi

    DC Guest

    On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 09:33:27 GMT, -= Hawk =-
    <> wrote:
    > On 2 Sep 2003 04:03:26 GMT, DC <> scribbled:
    >
    >>On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 04:00:33 GMT, -= Hawk =-
    >><> wrote:
    >>> On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 23:54:26 +0100, William Poaster
    >>><> scribbled:

    >>[snip]
    >>
    >>Please provide download link for MemMaker. Much obliged. };O)

    > You've got a moose you need blown? Memmaker was PART of
    > DOS 6.x.

    LOL! Look at my headers[1]...

    [1] Pun intended. };O)

    DC, Sep 3, 2003