Breaking News: 37 Megapixel Nikon-Foveon D3F Full Frame DSLR

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nospam, Apr 1, 2007.

  1. nospam

    nospam Guest

    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

    37 Megapixel Direct Image Sensor brings the revolutionary patented
    Foveon X3 Full-Color Technology to Nikon's forthcoming full frame
    Digital SLR, the Nikon D3F.

    Tokyo, Japan, April 1, 2007 ­ Foveon Inc., a technology leader of
    award-winning high-quality digital camera image sensors, and Nikon
    Coporation, industry leader in photographic equippment for nearly a
    century, announced their partnership for the forthcoming Nikon D3F Full
    Frame Foveon Digital SLR Camera.

    "There has been a longstanding rumour that Nikon was not interested in
    the full frame format," says Richard Kabuki, product marketing manager
    at Foveon. "Working together, we perfected the technology to
    manufacture a larger sensor to Nikon's high standards, eliminating all
    noise and color anomalies which plagued earlier Foveon sensors, and
    bringing to fruition photography's first full frame Foveon based Nikon
    camera."

    The new Nikon D3F camera has 37 million pixels, arranged as 12.3
    million pixel locations in 3 seperate layers, the highest of any 35mm
    DSLR. "The image quality is like nothing you've ever seen before,"
    explains Mr. Kabuki.

    Industry pundit Ken Rockwell was overjoyed. "I've already posted a
    complete hands-on review," he explained, "and my yellow shirt has never
    looked so good." Mr. Rockwell had previously predicted the Foveon
    based Nikon DSLR, but was widely criticized for fabricating stories to
    gain website visitors.

    The Nikon D3F is available immediately with a manufacturer's suggested
    list price of $2499.

    Foveon's former technology partner, Sigma Coporation, was unavailable
    for comment.
    nospam, Apr 1, 2007

  2. "nospam" <> wrote in message
    > FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

    <snip>

    Is it April 1st already?
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Apr 1, 2007

  3. nospam

    Skip Guest

    "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <> wrote in message
    > "nospam" <> wrote in message
    >> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

    > <snip>
    >
    > Is it April 1st already?

    Indeed it is...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip, Apr 1, 2007
  4. "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <> wrote in message
    > "nospam" <> wrote in message
    >> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

    > <snip>
    >
    > Is it April 1st already?

    Yup. <sigh>
    Neil Harrington, Apr 1, 2007
  5. nospam

    John Sheehy Guest

    nospam <> wrote in news:010420070326359656%
    lid:

    > "There has been a longstanding rumour that Nikon was not interested in
    > the full frame format," says Richard Kabuki, product marketing manager
    > at Foveon. "Working together, we perfected the technology to
    > manufacture a larger sensor to Nikon's high standards, eliminating all
    > noise and color anomalies which plagued earlier Foveon sensors,

    I don't know where you got your press release, but it missing at least one
    paragraph. The press release I saw said that the new FFF (full-frame
    Foveon) has what is called AAAI (anti - alias artificial intelligence).
    Basically, the sensor has no AA filter under normal circumstances, but when
    a pixel-to-pixel contrast is high, a bubble rises that scatters light.
    This way, aliasing is avoided when necessary, but when it is not necessary,
    the relaxed bubble allows maximum pixel-to-pixel contrast.

    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    John Sheehy, Apr 1, 2007
  6. nospam

    Mark² Guest

    nospam wrote:
    > FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    >
    > 37 Megapixel Direct Image Sensor brings the revolutionary patented
    > Foveon X3 Full-Color Technology to Nikon's forthcoming full frame
    > Digital SLR, the Nikon D3F.

    Happy April 1st to you, too.
    :)
    www.pbase.com/markuson
    Mark², Apr 1, 2007
  7. Skip" <> wrote in message

    > "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <> wrote in message
    >> "nospam" <> wrote in message
    >>> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Is it April 1st already?
    >>

    > Indeed it is...

    Not that I wouldn't like to see a Nikon with a Foveon sensor...
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Apr 1, 2007
  8. nospam

    > Skip" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <> wrote in message
    >>> "nospam" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Is it April 1st already?
    >>>

    >> Indeed it is...

    > Not that I wouldn't like to see a Nikon with a Foveon sensor...

    I wouldn't. Something that like a Foveon in concept, but better in
    execution, yes. I heard rumors early last year that Oly and Canon were
    working on a layered pixel sensor, independent of each other, but I've not
    heard anything since.

    Skip, Apr 2, 2007
  9. "Skip" <> wrote:

    >> Not that I wouldn't like to see a Nikon with a Foveon sensor...
    >>

    > I wouldn't. Something that like a Foveon in concept, but better in
    > execution, yes. I heard rumors early last year that Oly and Canon were
    > working on a layered pixel sensor, independent of each other, but I've not
    > heard anything since.

    Measuring three colors at each point costs you sqrt(3) in dynamic range and
    noise and makes raw files three times larger.

    The math tells you that the actual increase in luminance resolution is tiny,
    and the physiology of the human eye tells you that only a Foveon-equipped
    robot could actually perceive the difference in color resolution.

    Basically, measuring three colors at each point really isn't a good idea.

    Inversely, the Bayer idea is one of the most brilliant ideas of the 20th
    century. And all people do is complain.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Apr 2, 2007
  10. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <euq27u$ol3$>, David J. Littleboy
    <> wrote:

    > "Skip" <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Not that I wouldn't like to see a Nikon with a Foveon sensor...
    > >>

    > > I wouldn't. Something that like a Foveon in concept, but better in
    > > execution, yes. I heard rumors early last year that Oly and Canon were
    > > working on a layered pixel sensor, independent of each other, but I've not
    > > heard anything since.

    > Measuring three colors at each point costs you sqrt(3) in dynamic range and
    > noise and makes raw files three times larger.
    >
    > The math tells you that the actual increase in luminance resolution is tiny,
    > and the physiology of the human eye tells you that only a Foveon-equipped
    > robot could actually perceive the difference in color resolution.
    >
    > Basically, measuring three colors at each point really isn't a good idea.

    it would be great if it could be done without compromising other
    aspects of the image. so far that's not the case.

    the only advantage a nikon (or other mainstream brand) would have is
    that the camera would be competitive in features and speed and it could
    accept a wider variety of lenses and accessories.

    > Inversely, the Bayer idea is one of the most brilliant ideas of the 20th
    > century. And all people do is complain.

    mainly because they don't understand how it actually works.
    nospam, Apr 2, 2007
  11. "nospam" <> wrote:
    > David J. Littleboy wrote:
    >>
    >> Inversely, the Bayer idea is one of the most brilliant ideas of the 20th
    >> century. And all people do is complain.

    > mainly because they don't understand how it actually works.

    Even worse; they don't realize that it does work; they're so busy theorizing
    and complaining that they don't look at the images. Sheesh.
    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Apr 2, 2007
  12. nospam

    Skip Guest

    > "Skip" <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Not that I wouldn't like to see a Nikon with a Foveon sensor...
    >>>

    >> I wouldn't. Something that like a Foveon in concept, but better in
    >> execution, yes. I heard rumors early last year that Oly and Canon were
    >> working on a layered pixel sensor, independent of each other, but I've
    >> not heard anything since.

    > Measuring three colors at each point costs you sqrt(3) in dynamic range
    > and noise and makes raw files three times larger.
    >
    > The math tells you that the actual increase in luminance resolution is
    > tiny, and the physiology of the human eye tells you that only a
    > Foveon-equipped robot could actually perceive the difference in color
    > resolution.
    >
    > Basically, measuring three colors at each point really isn't a good idea.
    >
    > Inversely, the Bayer idea is one of the most brilliant ideas of the 20th
    > century. And all people do is complain.
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    You don't get any complaints from me...

    Skip, Apr 2, 2007
  13. nospam <> wrote:
    > FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    >
    > 37 Megapixel Direct Image Sensor brings the revolutionary patented
    > Foveon X3 Full-Color Technology to Nikon's forthcoming full frame
    > Digital SLR, the Nikon D3F.

    You wasted a lot of time on this silly joke.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Apr 2, 2007
  14. nospam

    J. Clarke Guest

    Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    > nospam <> wrote:
    >> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    >>
    >> 37 Megapixel Direct Image Sensor brings the revolutionary patented
    >> Foveon X3 Full-Color Technology to Nikon's forthcoming full frame
    >> Digital SLR, the Nikon D3F.
    >>

    > You wasted a lot of time on this silly joke.

    Not nearly as much as Google did on _their_ April Fool joke. And then
    there was Trump's . . .

    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
    J. Clarke, Apr 2, 2007
  15. J. Clarke <> wrote:
    > Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    >> nospam <> wrote:
    >>> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    >>>
    >>> 37 Megapixel Direct Image Sensor brings the revolutionary patented
    >>> Foveon X3 Full-Color Technology to Nikon's forthcoming full frame
    >>> Digital SLR, the Nikon D3F.
    >>>

    >> You wasted a lot of time on this silly joke.

    > Not nearly as much as Google did on _their_ April Fool joke. And then
    > there was Trump's . . .

    While the OPs wasn't all that funny or unanticipated, I am interested to find
    out what Google's and Trump's joke was ;-)

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Apr 2, 2007
  16. nospam

    cjcampbell Guest

    On Apr 2, 7:27 am, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> wrote:
    > J. Clarke <> wrote:
    > > Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

    > >> You wasted a lot of time on this silly joke.

    > > Not nearly as much as Google did on _their_ April Fool joke. And then
    > > there was Trump's . . .

    > While the OPs wasn't all that funny or unanticipated, I am interested to find
    > out what Google's and Trump's joke was ;-)

    Google was offering unlimited free internet access through your toilet.
    cjcampbell, Apr 2, 2007
  17. nospam

    cjcampbell Guest

    On Apr 2, 7:27 am, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> wrote:
    > J. Clarke <> wrote:
    > > Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

    > >> You wasted a lot of time on this silly joke.

    > > Not nearly as much as Google did on _their_ April Fool joke. And then
    > > there was Trump's . . .

    > While the OPs wasn't all that funny or unanticipated, I am interested to find
    > out what Google's and Trump's joke was ;-)

    Then there was Thom Hogan's April Fool joke. Claimed that his
    equipment was getting heavier from all the photons it had captured.
    Photons have no mass, but they are converted to electrons, which
    do.... :)
    cjcampbell, Apr 2, 2007
  18. nospam

    Savageduck Guest

    Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
    > J. Clarke <> wrote:
    >> Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

    >>> You wasted a lot of time on this silly joke.

    >> Not nearly as much as Google did on _their_ April Fool joke. And then
    >> there was Trump's . . .
    >>

    > While the OPs wasn't all that funny or unanticipated, I am interested to find
    > out what Google's and Trump's joke was ;-)

    Not quite Google's joke, but probably a joker using Google as camouflage.
    http://www.google.com/tisp/install.html
    Savageduck, Apr 2, 2007
  19. cjcampbell <> wrote:

    > Then there was Thom Hogan's April Fool joke. Claimed that his
    > equipment was getting heavier from all the photons it had captured.
    > Photons have no mass, but they are converted to electrons, which
    > do.... :)

    Interesting twist on physics ... excitement = creation ;-)

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Apr 2, 2007
  20. Savageduck <> wrote:

    >> While the OPs wasn't all that funny or unanticipated, I am interested to find
    >> out what Google's and Trump's joke was ;-)
    >>

    > Not quite Google's joke, but probably a joker using Google as camouflage.
    > http://www.google.com/tisp/install.html

    Now THAT is pretty good.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse