    2000. When I click on vista start menu, and click programs, it
    takes about 4 second for any program folder to open up. Is this
    normal? thanks.
    lbbss, Feb 12, 2008

  2. lbbss

    Guest

    lbbss <> wrote:

    >I had xp and win 2000 before and now that I got a dual core system
    >with 1gb ram, with Vista home premium, it kind of slow compared to xp/
    >2000. When I click on vista start menu, and click programs, it
    >takes about 4 second for any program folder to open up. Is this
    >normal? thanks.

    vista version 1 is just a bad OS, SP1 will change things a bit, hope
    for the best.

    --

    AYB
    http://allyourbase.planettribes.gamespy.com//ayb2.swf

  3. lbbss

    Mike Easter Guest

    lbbss wrote:
    > I had xp and win 2000 before and now that I got a dual core system
    > with 1gb ram, with Vista home premium, it kind of slow compared to xp/
    > 2000. When I click on vista start menu, and click programs, it
    > takes about 4 second for any program folder to open up. Is this
    > normal?

    1 gb ram is not very much ram for Vista home premium, whereas it would
    be fine/plenty for XP.

    Wait 'til you start trying to do something besides start a program.

    IMO buying a 'modest' computer with Vista pre-installed is a big
    mistake, unless you got a good deal on it and you are planning on
    installing some other OS which will perform much better with the modest
    resources, such as XP or a linux distro.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 12, 2008
  4. lbbss <> wrote in

    > I had xp and win 2000 before and now that I got a dual core system
    > with 1gb ram, with Vista home premium, it kind of slow compared to xp/
    > 2000. When I click on vista start menu, and click programs, it
    > takes about 4 second for any program folder to open up. Is this
    > normal? thanks.

    Yes, Vista [RC2 and Ultimate] was laggy for me too. 1GB RAM is
    not very much for Vista flavors in general. You *might* want
    to RAM-up with some Non-ECC RAM, *but* I suspect that Vista is
    either going to go the way of Windows Me or get replaced very
    soon. It's a *bad* dog - IMHO. And for the world of me, I
    don't really see what it's bringing to the table which is
    superior to WinXPpro. Anything WinXP "lacks" compared to Vista
    can easily be obtained via added software, etc., and the bonus
    is that XP does not need the expensive hardware upgrades to
    function at a minimum level. So, cross your fingers and hope
    Vista's SP1 brings about some significant improvements - but
    word-up is *don't* hold your breath. It's less expensive for
    Microsoft (or the US government, or any beast for that matter)
    to "spin" a bad decision than it is to acknowledge the mistake
    and make it right, apparently. Remember, Bill Gates is *NOT*
    the antichrist -- the antichrist merely works for him. Middle
    management, I think...

    --
    My name is Bucky Breeder and I approve this message!

    http://www.jonregen.com/

    http://www.jonregen.com/audio/WORDS_MUSIC_2006-Finished_Wi.m3u

    http://cdbaby.com/mp3
    Bucky Breeder, Feb 12, 2008
  5. lbbss

    Plato Guest

    lbbss wrote:

    > I had xp and win 2000 before and now that I got a dual core system
    > with 1gb ram, with Vista home premium, it kind of slow compared to xp/
    > 2000. When I click on vista start menu, and click programs, it
    > takes about 4 second for any program folder to open up. Is this
    > normal? thanks.

    Always wait for any MS OS to get to version 2 before using/installing.
    That has been the same advice since dos 6.2.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Feb 15, 2008