Brain dumps

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Kristopher Francisco, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. I here many saying that brain dumps are cheats. I've personally been
    referred to them as a student from my teachers.

    They respond to the arguments against them in many different ways. One
    interesting comment one of my teacher made was: How do you think Transcender
    gets their questions?

    Also....

    I'm reading an Exam Cram book and the author states this:

    "You should also cruise the Web looking for "brain dumps" (recollections of
    test topics and experiences recorded by others) to help you anticipate
    topics you're likely to encounter on the test.

    TIP: You can't be sure that a brain dump's author can provide correct
    answers. Therefore, use the questions to guide your studiesm, but never rely
    on the answers in a brain dump to lead you to the truth. Double check
    everything you find in any brain dump.

    I know many users in these newsgroups are enemies of brain dumps (or at
    least claim they are)...I would like to know...why do you consider
    braindumps a cheat?
    Kristopher Francisco, Feb 2, 2004

  2. Kristopher Francisco

    RussS Guest

    First off, the answers posted in brain dumps are usually part wrong.

    Secondly, if you need to use brain dumps then you sure as hell don't know
    your stuff and don't deserve to pass the exam.

    Third and most important, the people who post these answers are in disregard
    of the agreement they signed when they sat the exam.

    I guess that covers most of it. I do have a suggestion though Kristopher
    .... if your instructor is at a training centre that is certified by Comptia
    or Microsoft I would email them and tell them his name, for he is not a
    teacher but a useless piece of garbage.
    RussS, Feb 2, 2004

  3. Kristopher Francisco

    D V. Brown Guest

    "Kristopher Francisco" <> wrote in message
    > I here many saying that brain dumps are cheats. I've personally been
    > referred to them as a student from my teachers.
    >
    > They respond to the arguments against them in many different ways. One
    > interesting comment one of my teacher made was: How do you think

    Transcender
    > gets their questions?
    >
    > Also....
    >
    > I'm reading an Exam Cram book and the author states this:
    >
    > "You should also cruise the Web looking for "brain dumps" (recollections

    of
    > test topics and experiences recorded by others) to help you anticipate
    > topics you're likely to encounter on the test.
    >
    > TIP: You can't be sure that a brain dump's author can provide correct
    > answers. Therefore, use the questions to guide your studiesm, but never

    rely
    > on the answers in a brain dump to lead you to the truth. Double check
    > everything you find in any brain dump.
    >

    > I know many users in these newsgroups are enemies of brain dumps (or at
    > least claim they are)...I would like to know...why do you consider
    > braindumps a cheat?

    I wouldn't trust brain dumps for two reasons.

    1. If you've ever taken an exam, most people are nervous and their mind in a
    whirlwind. Unless they have a photographic memory how accurate could their
    recollection be.

    2. People are basically out for themselves. In such a competitive job market
    why would anyone bother being accurate about the questions and the answers.
    Why benefit other potential competitors? What's in it for them?

    If the exams intent is to test your knowledge in the industry then I suppose
    study guides could be considered cheating too. It was not intended to be
    educational, but to indicate you have at least 6 months experience in the
    field.
    D V. Brown, Feb 2, 2004
  4. Kristopher Francisco

    Chris E Guest

    Most of the people in this newsgroup choose to retain information, which
    eventually becomes knowledge. If you choose to retain questions and
    possibly wrong answers, then that is our choice, but should someone who
    chooses this route become A+ certified, it degrades the credibility of the
    cert. If you know your stuff, then you will pass with or without brain
    dumps, so why bother using them?

    Chris
    A+, Net+

    Chris E, Feb 2, 2004
  5. "RussS" <> wrote in message
    > First off, the answers posted in brain dumps are usually part wrong.

    NOBODY is disputing that.

    > Secondly, if you need to use brain dumps then you sure as hell don't know
    > your stuff and don't deserve to pass the exam.

    Where did this *need* come from, all of a sudden? Who said they *need*
    braindumps?

    > Third and most important, the people who post these answers are in

    disregard
    > of the agreement they signed when they sat the exam.

    As are the people who sit exams then go and write questions for "legitimate"
    practice tests which are "exceptionally realistic" (quote from vendors
    website)

    What's the difference between a legit practice test and a braindump? The
    braindump admits it's a braindump & the practice test denies it -
    http://tinyurl.co.uk/491d

    > I guess that covers most of it. I do have a suggestion though Kristopher
    > ... if your instructor is at a training centre that is certified by

    Comptia
    > or Microsoft I would email them and tell them his name, for he is not a
    > teacher but a useless piece of garbage.

    I didn't come into this thread to defend cheaters, or braindumps, or
    anything else. I got into this thread because I think people need to lighten
    up a little bit.

    Especially Russ.

    His over-reactive and plainly offensive comments suggest:
    A - He feels threatened somehow
    B - He takes himself way too seriously
    C - He was beaten as a child
    D - He should take flower arranging for his next exam

    (Choose TWO)

    No cheating, people........;-)

    JM
    --
    JonathanMiles at uk2 dot net

    ---
    Jonathan Miles, Feb 2, 2004
  6. > Russ is a good guy... most of us just don't like braindumps ;-)

    He seems like a good tech as well, judging by his (non nasty) postings.

    JM

    Jonathan Miles, Feb 3, 2004
  7. Kristopher Francisco

    RussS Guest

    Jonathan

    Possibly my main beef with people who use dumps is that they come into my
    chosen profession and most of them are basically useless. The more that get
    certified by slackarse methods means more prospective employees out there
    that are willing to do do whatever to get a job. What then happens is a
    constant rule of supply and demand - when there is an oversupply prices come
    down - that applies to the labout market too - too many 'certified' techs
    out there and the going rate falls ... ergo, too many useless spodes out
    there with xyz certification that do not know their stuff means that xyz
    certification gets devalued. I don't know about you, but I put a hell of a
    lot of time, effort and dollars into my certifications and over the past
    year have noticed a trend for employers to take less interest in them as
    they have seen far too many 'certified' techs who should not be allowed to
    handle a screwdriver.
    RussS, Feb 3, 2004
  8. Kristopher Francisco

    not me Guest

    Certifications such as MCSE (Must Consult Someone Experienced) are a
    perfect example of over filled
    Boot Camps, Brain Dumps, Not a chance
    Learn it the old fashioned way, get your hands dirty.

    not me, Feb 3, 2004
  9. Kristopher Francisco

    Rick Rottman Guest

    "not me" <> wrote:

    >Boot Camps, Brain Dumps, Not a chance
    >Learn it the old fashioned way, get your hands dirty.

    How does one get their hands dirty working on computers?

    - Rick

    Needs More Cow Bell

    http://members.myactv.net/~r.rottman/
    Rick Rottman, Feb 4, 2004
  10. Kristopher Francisco

    not me Guest

    If you have ever worked in a large corporate environment and opened any PC
    that is on the floor under a desk, you will find lots of dust bunnies and
    dirt inside of the boxes. I was tasked with cleaning out 50 PC's of just
    this, got my hands very dirty...

    not me, Feb 4, 2004
  11. On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:47:44 GMT, "not me" <> wrote:

    >If you have ever worked in a large corporate environment and opened any PC
    >that is on the floor under a desk, you will find lots of dust bunnies and
    >dirt inside of the boxes. I was tasked with cleaning out 50 PC's of just
    >this, got my hands very dirty...

    Computers, TV's, and monitors in coal-heated homes get a touch "dusty"
    after awhile also. :)

    Actually, with a TV or monitor's high-voltage on the CRT, no matter
    how pristine the environment (unless you're in an operating room or
    similar), the dust will accumulate.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Feb 4, 2004
  12. Kristopher Francisco

    Rick Rottman Guest

    "not me" <> wrote:

    >If you have ever worked in a large corporate environment and opened any PC
    >that is on the floor under a desk, you will find lots of dust bunnies and
    >dirt inside of the boxes. I was tasked with cleaning out 50 PC's of just
    >this, got my hands very dirty...

    Dust bunnies?

    Working on computers is probably the cleanest part of my job.

    Rick Rottman, Feb 5, 2004
  13. Kristopher Francisco

    derekge Guest

    What is the best way to clean inside the tower? Doesn't a vacuum generate
    ESD?

    derekge, Feb 5, 2004
  14. Kristopher Francisco

    Rick Rottman Guest

    derekge <> wrote:

    >What is the best way to clean inside the tower? Doesn't a vacuum generate
    >ESD?

    Blow it out with compressed air.

    Rick Rottman, Feb 5, 2004
  15. On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:08:09 -0500, "Kathy" <> wrote:

    >Compressed air from the can is the best way.... don't ever use a
    >vacuum cleaner :)

    Yes...vacuum cleaners "suck" in that capacity. :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Feb 5, 2004
  16. "> They respond to the arguments against them in many different ways. One
    > interesting comment one of my teacher made was: How do you think

    Transcender
    > gets their questions?

    This sounds like someone trying to justify their actions. Transcenders
    works with Miscorosft, and is approved by Microsoft to supply practice
    tests. And in all the tests I have taken (Quite a few) transcenders has
    never had any questions that are word for word what appears on any of my
    tests. Most people find the transcenders tests harder, so it gives them a
    feel for, if I can answer these, then I must be ready. But even
    transcenders has it drawbacks. You can get to the point of taking those
    tests, that you have memorized the answers there, and then you are not
    learning, and thinking, you are just clicking on the answer you remember
    being right.

    > I know many users in these newsgroups are enemies of brain dumps (or at
    > least claim they are)...I would like to know...why do you consider
    > braindumps a cheat?

    Braindumps are cheating the same way getting the test ahead of time in high
    school was cheating. Someone who already took the test, gives you the
    questions and the answers to the test, and you go in, and lo and hehold
    youget an A. That was cheating.

    I am an enemy of braindumping, because of many of the same reasons you have
    seen already, but to give you an example. I was working with a girl that
    had her MCSE, and had told me she had used braindumps. (NT4.0 btw) She
    asked me if her computer could handle NT 4.0 WS. I asked her what hardware
    she had, and she couldn't answer. So, from the first chapter of the book on
    NT 4.0 WS, she could not even figure out if a system could handle NT 4.0.
    That is why I dislike braindumpers.

    That's my two cents.

    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me

    Simon Telrenner, Feb 6, 2004
  17. Kristopher Francisco

    not me Guest

    Hi

    Unfortunately, many MCSE's who are going to bootcamps or using brain dumps
    are certified as (MCSE Must Consult Someone Experienced)

    not me, Feb 6, 2004
  18. Kristopher Francisco

    RussS Guest

    Snap :)
    RussS, Feb 6, 2004
  19. Kristopher Francisco

    SLICE Guest

    If you have to read a book to know the material you are a cheater.
    If you need to take a practice test you are a cheater.
    If you have to ask someone else the answer you are a cheater.
    If you need to ask questions in a newsgroup you are a cheater.
    If you read a web site with any information about the test on it you
    are a cheater.
    I have taken the test each time it changes and have never missed more
    than 2 questions. I have done this by working in the field for 13
    years and staying current with the changes in technology. A better way
    to test your knowledge would be to go into a room with a box of PC
    parts that you need to assemble, get on-line, take a test, and print
    out the results on a network printer.
    SLICE
    SLICE, Feb 9, 2004
  20. On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:28:10 GMT, SLICE <> wrote:

    >If you have to read a book to know the material you are a cheater.

    This would make all university students cheaters.

    >If you need to take a practice test you are a cheater.
    >If you have to ask someone else the answer you are a cheater.
    >If you need to ask questions in a newsgroup you are a cheater.
    >If you read a web site with any information about the test on it you
    >are a cheater.

    I think your views are a bit extreme.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Feb 9, 2004