    i do want to prevent any users from plugging in a switch on the access
    ports. Will this disable the port if they unplug their ethernet cable from
    their pc and plug in a switch to the access port?

    tony, Oct 23, 2006

  2. tony

    Brian V Guest

    "tony" <> wrote in message
    news:ehjdna$dfr$...
    >I am not sure of what this does.
    >
    > i do want to prevent any users from plugging in a switch on the access
    > ports. Will this disable the port if they unplug their ethernet cable from
    > their pc and plug in a switch to the access port?

    Nope, you want bpdu guard to shut down the port if a bdbu is detected.
    "spanning-tree bpduguard enable"

    Brian V, Oct 23, 2006

  3. tony

    Thrill5 Guest

    "Brian V" <> wrote in message

    > "tony" <> wrote in message
    >>I am not sure of what this does.
    >>
    >> i do want to prevent any users from plugging in a switch on the access
    >> ports. Will this disable the port if they unplug their ethernet cable
    >> from their pc and plug in a switch to the access port?
    >>

    > Nope, you want bpdu guard to shut down the port if a bdbu is detected.
    > "spanning-tree bpduguard enable"

    This may not work if the users get a low end switch, as most of them don't
    run spanning tree.

    Scott

    Thrill5, Oct 25, 2006
  4. tony

    tony Guest

    is there a solution for this? I am worried about them plugging in a netgear
    or linksys

    tony, Oct 25, 2006
  5. tony

    Guest

    a very secure solution for that would be 802.1x, but its not easy to
    set up.
    another quite simple is port-security. just allow only 1 mac-address at
    a port. so the people can´t work with a switch or hub on the port.

    tony schrieb:

    > is there a solution for this? I am worried about them plugging in a netgear
    > or linksys
    > "Thrill5" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Brian V" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "tony" <> wrote in message

    > >> Nope, you want bpdu guard to shut down the port if a bdbu is detected.
    > >> "spanning-tree bpduguard enable"
    > >>

    > > This may not work if the users get a low end switch, as most of them don't
    > > run spanning tree.
    > >
    > > Scott

    , Oct 25, 2006
  6. tony

    NETADMIN Guest

    Why dont you use Mac address filetring for port security.
    Its a bit hectic but can be done

    CK

    NETADMIN, Oct 25, 2006