    4th time charge -- 100%"

    Is this true??? Has anybody else had any experience with this battery
    clone?

    Erasmo Acosta, Jan 2, 2007

  2. Erasmo Acosta

    Cgiorgio Guest

    Many Li - ion cells are not completely conditioned when they come from the
    factory and therefore do not have full capacity at their first few uses. So
    what they told you is very probably true, even if their figures are
    estimates and cerainly not accurate values.

    Cgiorgio, Jan 2, 2007

  3. Erasmo Acosta

    King Sardon Guest

    On 2 Jan 2007 10:45:54 -0800, "Erasmo Acosta" <>
    wrote:

    >I just bought 2 BP-511A battery replacements for my Canon 5D, because I
    >got a Battery Grip for Xmas. The brand is "Ultra". Anyway, I noticed
    >that the two batteries combined in the battery grip died after less
    >than 200 shots. I emailed the E-Tailer and they answered me:
    >
    >"For the new battery, you need to charge/discharge it at least 4 times
    >to get 100% load. Total 36 hrs.
    >1st time charge -- 40%
    >2nd time charge -- 60%
    >3rd time charge -- 80%
    >4th time charge -- 100%"
    >
    >Is this true??? Has anybody else had any experience with this battery
    >clone?

    Yes, it's true. See
    http://www.intelligentbatteries.com/XX_Tips.htm.

    Also note fine tips on Li-ion use in
    http://www.buchmann.ca/Chap10-page6.asp

    KS

    King Sardon, Jan 2, 2007
  4. Erasmo Acosta

    Bill Guest

    "King Sardon" <> wrote in message
    > On 2 Jan 2007 10:45:54 -0800, "Erasmo Acosta" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I just bought 2 BP-511A battery replacements for my Canon 5D,
    >>because I
    >>got a Battery Grip for Xmas. The brand is "Ultra". Anyway, I noticed
    >>that the two batteries combined in the battery grip died after less
    >>than 200 shots. I emailed the E-Tailer and they answered me:

    What is the rated capacity in milliamp/hours (mAH)? Are they rated the
    same as the BP-511A , or lower?

    >>"For the new battery, you need to charge/discharge it at least 4
    >>times
    >>to get 100% load. Total 36 hrs.
    >>1st time charge -- 40%
    >>2nd time charge -- 60%
    >>3rd time charge -- 80%
    >>4th time charge -- 100%"
    >>
    >>Is this true??? Has anybody else had any experience with this
    >>battery
    >>clone?

    No it is not true for Li-Ion packs. Ni-Cad and Ni-MH packs are
    different, and they may require a few charges to gain full capacity if
    the manufacturer did not properly charge them the first time.

    The first time you charge a Li-Ion pack, it should have a 95-100%
    capacity. There is a myth that it needs to be charged a few times to
    reach full capacity, but that is completely false.

    What happens is that new camera users tend to "play" with the camera a
    lot at first to become familiar with it, and they experience a low
    number of shots because the battery is being used up by the LCD
    display, menu adjustments, test shots, etc., when first setting up the
    camera. After several charges, the user is familiar with the camera
    and they begin to use it for photos instead of playing with all the
    settings, and battery life seems to increase.

    Manufacturers use the cycling story to reduce complaints from users
    who experience a low number of shots for new cameras since they know
    that new users will "play" with the cameras for the first few charges.

    In the case of extra battery packs where the user is already familiar
    with the camera, there is no need to run the packs through several
    charges, so such a claim is just nonsense. If the pack does not have
    full capacity when new, then they are defective or they do not have
    capacity of the battery it is replacing.

    > Yes, it's true. See
    > http://www.intelligentbatteries.com/XX_Tips.htm.
    >
    > Also note fine tips on Li-ion use in
    > http://www.buchmann.ca/Chap10-page6.asp

    You need to read more thoroughly since neither of your links support
    your claim that Li-Ion packs need to be primed or cycled several times
    when new to improve their charge capacity.

    They actually state the opposite and backup my statement that Li-Ion
    packs do not need any kind of cycling or conditioning at all whether
    new or not, and in fact it's best that you never fully discharge them.
    From your own Buchmann site links:

    http://www.buchmann.ca/Chap15-page3.asp

    "Li-ion cells need less priming than the nickel-based equivalent.
    Manufacturers of Li-ion cells insist that priming is not a
    requirement."

    --
    Happy New Year!

    Bill, Jan 3, 2007
  5. Erasmo Acosta

    Mark² Guest

    Erasmo Acosta wrote:
    > I just bought 2 BP-511A battery replacements for my Canon 5D, because
    > I got a Battery Grip for Xmas. The brand is "Ultra". Anyway, I noticed
    > that the two batteries combined in the battery grip died after less
    > than 200 shots. I emailed the E-Tailer and they answered me:
    >
    > "For the new battery, you need to charge/discharge it at least 4 times
    > to get 100% load. Total 36 hrs.
    > 1st time charge -- 40%
    > 2nd time charge -- 60%
    > 3rd time charge -- 80%
    > 4th time charge -- 100%"
    >
    > Is this true??? Has anybody else had any experience with this battery
    > clone?

    Don't be alarmed by this. Even new Canon batteries improve after a few
    charge cycles.

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Jan 3, 2007
  6. Erasmo Acosta

    Bill Funk Guest

    wrote:

    >I just bought 2 BP-511A battery replacements for my Canon 5D, because I
    >got a Battery Grip for Xmas. The brand is "Ultra". Anyway, I noticed
    >that the two batteries combined in the battery grip died after less
    >than 200 shots. I emailed the E-Tailer and they answered me:
    >
    >"For the new battery, you need to charge/discharge it at least 4 times
    >to get 100% load. Total 36 hrs.
    >1st time charge -- 40%
    >2nd time charge -- 60%
    >3rd time charge -- 80%
    >4th time charge -- 100%"
    >
    >Is this true??? Has anybody else had any experience with this battery
    >clone?

    It's twue! It's twue! :)

    --
    Democrat John Edwards stood in the
    hurricane-ravaged ninth ward of

    Bill Funk, Jan 3, 2007
  7. Erasmo Acosta

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bill Funk wrote:
    > On 2 Jan 2007 10:45:54 -0800, "Erasmo Acosta" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I just bought 2 BP-511A battery replacements for my Canon 5D, because I
    >> got a Battery Grip for Xmas. The brand is "Ultra". Anyway, I noticed
    >> that the two batteries combined in the battery grip died after less
    >> than 200 shots. I emailed the E-Tailer and they answered me:
    >>
    >> "For the new battery, you need to charge/discharge it at least 4 times
    >> to get 100% load. Total 36 hrs.
    >> 1st time charge -- 40%
    >> 2nd time charge -- 60%
    >> 3rd time charge -- 80%
    >> 4th time charge -- 100%"
    >>
    >> Is this true??? Has anybody else had any experience with this battery
    >> clone?

    > It's twue! It's twue! :)

    That about matches my experience. Can't say what the values would be
    for the new (Eneloop) formulations, however.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 4, 2007
  8. Erasmo Acosta

    cellguru Guest

    On Dec 23, 12:17 pm, z322ss <z322ss.3ku...@no-
    mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:
    > I think bp-511 and bp-511a are two different batteries. and it is
    > nothing wrong to get a replacement one.
    >
    > --
    > z322ss
    >

    > 'canon bp511 charger'
    > (http://www.sales-battery.com/multi-chargers/canon-bp-511.htm)

    I have cheched the the bp-511 charger you suggested and founed bp-

    511 battery at : http://www.sales-battery.com/digital-camera-

    batteries/canon-bp-511.htm
    But i have a question,what is the different between bp-511 battery

    and bp-511a?

    cellguru, Dec 25, 2008
  9. Erasmo Acosta

    cellguru Guest

    On Dec 23, 12:17 pm, z322ss <z322ss.3ku...@no-
    mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:
    > I think bp-511 and bp-511a are two different batteries. and it is
    > nothing wrong to get a replacement one.
    >
    > --
    > z322ss
    >

    > 'canon bp511 charger'
    > (http://www.sales-battery.com/multi-chargers/canon-bp-511.htm)

    I got the wrong url about bp-511 battery,it should be
    http://www.sales-battery.com/digital-camera-batteries/canon-bp-511.htm
    I have bp-511 and bp-511a compared on ebay and amazon and found all
    their ads reffer to the same product.

    cellguru, Dec 25, 2008
  10. Erasmo Acosta

    Douglas Guest

    "cellguru" <> wrote in message
    On Dec 23, 12:17 pm, z322ss <z322ss.3ku...@no-
    mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:
    > I think bp-511 and bp-511a are two different batteries. and it is
    > nothing wrong to get a replacement one.
    >
    > --
    > z322ss
    >

    > 'canon bp511 charger'
    > (http://www.sales-battery.com/multi-chargers/canon-bp-511.htm)

    I got the wrong url about bp-511 battery,it should be
    http://www.sales-battery.com/digital-camera-batteries/canon-bp-511.htm
    I have bp-511 and bp-511a compared on ebay and amazon and found all
    their ads reffer to the same product.

    The 511a battery is 1400 and the 511 is only 1200 measurement. Both
    batteries are interchangable.

    Douglas, Dec 25, 2008
  11. In article
    <>,
    cellguru <> wrote:

    > On Dec 23, 12:17 pm, z322ss <z322ss.3ku...@no-
    > mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:
    > > I think bp-511 and bp-511a are two different batteries. and it is
    > > nothing wrong to get a replacement one.
    > >
    > > --
    > > z322ss
    > >

    > > 'canon bp511 charger'
    > > (http://www.sales-battery.com/multi-chargers/canon-bp-511.htm)

    > I have cheched the the bp-511 charger you suggested and founed bp-
    >
    > 511 battery at : http://www.sales-battery.com/digital-camera-
    >
    > batteries/canon-bp-511.htm
    > But i have a question,what is the different between bp-511 battery
    >
    > and bp-511a?

    Cellguru-

    Perhaps you are asking the wrong question. The BP-511 was used by the
    Canon 300D DSLR. I understand the replacement for the 300D (Maybe the
    350D?) used a newer battery, but kept the same charger. At the same
    time the BP-511 was discontinued. Its replacement was recommended for
    both the newer DSLR and the 300D.

    I do not have the details, but a Canon dealer should know the current
    battery number for the 300D. I don't think it is the same number with
    an "A" after it. The newer battery probably has a little more capacity.

    You may be able to find an old-stock BP-511 or one from another company.
    But do you really want that?

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Dec 25, 2008
  12. Erasmo Acosta

    SMS Guest

    Douglas wrote:
    > "cellguru" <> wrote in message
    > On Dec 23, 12:17 pm, z322ss <z322ss.3ku...@no-
    > mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:
    >> I think bp-511 and bp-511a are two different batteries. and it is
    >> nothing wrong to get a replacement one.
    >>
    >> --
    >> z322ss
    >>

    >> 'canon bp511 charger'
    >> (http://www.sales-battery.com/multi-chargers/canon-bp-511.htm)

    > I got the wrong url about bp-511 battery,it should be
    > http://www.sales-battery.com/digital-camera-batteries/canon-bp-511.htm
    > I have bp-511 and bp-511a compared on ebay and amazon and found all
    > their ads reffer to the same product.
    >
    > The 511a battery is 1400 and the 511 is only 1200 measurement. Both
    > batteries are interchangable.

    And after-market BP511 batteries claim as much 2200 mAH (1800 mAH and
    2000 mAH are more common).

    SMS, Dec 25, 2008
  13. In article <>,
    Fred McKenzie <> wrote:

    > I don't think it is the same number with
    > an "A" after it.

    It looks as if I'm mistaken about this. The USA Canon web site lists
    the BP-511A as the correct battery for the EOS Digital Rebel (the 300D).
    It also lists other cameras as using the same battery:

    EOS 20D
    EOS 20D EF-S 18-55mm Kit
    EOS 20Da
    EOS 30D
    EOS 30D EF-S 18-55mm Kit
    EOS 40D
    EOS 40D
    EOS 40D EF 28-135mm IS Kit
    EOS 50D
    EOS 5D
    EOS 5D EF 24-105mm Kit
    EOS D30
    EOS D60
    EOS Digital Rebel
    Limited Edition Digital Rebel
    Limited Edition Digital Rebel kit 18-55mm Kit
    Optura Xi
    PowerShot G1
    PowerShot G2
    PowerShot G3
    PowerShot G5
    PowerShot G6
    PowerShot Pro 1
    PowerShot Pro 90 IS

    It is nice to know one size fits so many others. It should be fairly
    easy to find one when you need it.

    From other sources, it appears that the difference between the BP-511
    and the BP-511A, is capacity. BP-511 has 1100 MAH, BP-511A has 1390 MAH.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Dec 25, 2008