BOYCOTT EBAY - 18th to ???? (The eBay Scam)

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by beckem@hotpop.com, Feb 8, 2005.

  1. Guest

    How much does it cost eBay to host your listing? 1/20th of a penny?
    One Penny? Ebay is charging sellers 100 to 1,000 times that for listing
    and final
    value fees and sellers have bought into this nonsense like mindless
    sheep.

    A one week boycott would have eBay bending over backwards to bring
    sellers back. A mass exodus would put an end to this insanity. The
    internet was never
    meant to be dominated by big corporations.

    Have some self respect. Bite the bullet for a week or two. You have the
    power to shape the future of online sales for independent sellers. Or
    you can
    laydown and do nothing and let eBay continue to exploit you.

    BOYCOTT 18th to ???....until ebay gets the message. Sellers put up
    99% of the work to produce the items listed on eBay. Sellers pay eBay
    to host their auctions. Not to be exploited.

    Ebay is a WEB HOSTING SERVICE. The typical web host offers 500meg-1GB
    storage with 25GB-50GB bandwidth for $7.95/month. If the typical web
    host charged eBay's rates we would be paying $8,000.00/month for the
    same storage and bandwidth. Ebay is an overpriced WEB HOST. Nothing
    more.

    Spread the word. Post to every newsgroup and forum you can find.
    BOYCOTT EBAY.
    Web Host Comparison Chart:

    IPOWERWEB - 500 MEG/30 GIG........$7.95/mo
    STARTLOGIC - 1000 MEG/40 GIG.....$7.50/mo
    LUNAR PAGES - 500MEG/20 GIG.......$7.95/mo
    GLOBAT - 1000 MEG/50 GIG..........$7.50/mo
    EBAY - 500 MEG/30 GIG............$8,000.00/mo
    , Feb 8, 2005

  2. "TB" <> wrote in message
    > *yawn*

    Actually, I think there should be someway to undermine eBay's "virtual"
    monopoly. PayPal's also. But I've learned the hardway that it's very
    difficult to organize people. It's far easier to divide and conquer.

    mass posting to newsgroups I don't think will do the trick. The casual
    buyer has no awareness of eBay's predations. Sellers have learned that eBay
    is the best way to sell.

    www.paypalsucks.com doesn't seem to have affected PayPal's business on
    whit. Even the class action lawsuit was nothing but a beebee off the armour.
    Bernie Woodham, Feb 8, 2005

  3. Richard C. Guest

    "Bernie Woodham" <> wrote in message

    > "TB" <> wrote in message
    >> *yawn*

    > Actually, I think there should be someway to undermine eBay's "virtual"
    > monopoly. PayPal's also. But I've learned the hardway that it's very
    > difficult to organize people. It's far easier to divide and conquer.
    >
    > mass posting to newsgroups I don't think will do the trick. The casual
    > buyer has no awareness of eBay's predations. Sellers have learned that
    > eBay is the best way to sell.
    >
    > www.paypalsucks.com doesn't seem to have affected PayPal's business on
    > whit. Even the class action lawsuit was nothing but a beebee off the
    > armour.

    ==============================
    That is because most users of eBay are very happy with the service.
    Richard C., Feb 8, 2005
  4. On 8 Feb 2005 09:45:47 -0800, wrote:

    >How much does it cost eBay to host your listing? 1/20th of a penny?
    >One Penny? Ebay is charging sellers 100 to 1,000 times that for listing
    >and final
    >value fees and sellers have bought into this nonsense like mindless
    >sheep.
    >
    >A one week boycott would have eBay bending over backwards to bring
    >sellers back. A mass exodus would put an end to this insanity. The
    >internet was never
    >meant to be dominated by big corporations.
    >
    >Have some self respect. Bite the bullet for a week or two. You have the
    >power to shape the future of online sales for independent sellers. Or
    >you can
    >laydown and do nothing and let eBay continue to exploit you.
    >
    >BOYCOTT 18th to ???....until ebay gets the message. Sellers put up
    >99% of the work to produce the items listed on eBay. Sellers pay eBay
    >to host their auctions. Not to be exploited.
    >
    >Ebay is a WEB HOSTING SERVICE. The typical web host offers 500meg-1GB
    >storage with 25GB-50GB bandwidth for $7.95/month. If the typical web
    >host charged eBay's rates we would be paying $8,000.00/month for the
    >same storage and bandwidth. Ebay is an overpriced WEB HOST. Nothing
    >more.
    >
    >Spread the word. Post to every newsgroup and forum you can find.
    >BOYCOTT EBAY.
    >Web Host Comparison Chart:
    >
    >IPOWERWEB - 500 MEG/30 GIG........$7.95/mo
    >STARTLOGIC - 1000 MEG/40 GIG.....$7.50/mo
    >LUNAR PAGES - 500MEG/20 GIG.......$7.95/mo
    >GLOBAT - 1000 MEG/50 GIG..........$7.50/mo
    >EBAY - 500 MEG/30 GIG............$8,000.00/mo

    So, it would seem, you should start your own "Ebay". If it is as easy
    as you say, you should be making money hand over fist.
    What's stopping you?
    Dyuob Poltice, Feb 8, 2005
  5. Guest

    I can understand using ebay to buy dvds if you live in some remote town
    or if you are housebound and cannot get out to do shopping or if th e
    dvd title in question is very rare.
    But using it to buy commonly available dvd titles when in most cases
    you can go down to the local store (like Walmart or Best Buy) and get a
    NEW dvd title for LESS than what you would likely pay for a used one on
    ebay (especially when you factor in S&H)is just plain crazy!
    , Feb 9, 2005

  7. wrote in

    > How much does it cost eBay to host your listing? 1/20th of a penny?
    > One Penny? Ebay is charging sellers 100 to 1,000 times that for
    > listing

    Right, and the cost to the vendor is the only determining factor
    when deciding on price, right? Don't worry, I'm sure you'll take
    basic economics in your senior year, if not before.

    > and final
    > value fees and sellers have bought into this nonsense like mindless
    > sheep.

    Right, because eBay is a charity and has no right to any of the profit
    for sales that they made possible. Also, sellers are forced against
    their will to list auctions on eBay... they would have much rather put
    up free auctions on Yahoo, which no one ever visits.

    > A one week boycott would have eBay bending over backwards to bring
    > sellers back.

    Or, maybe they'd just use the downtime to do some system upgrades.

    >A mass exodus would put an end to this insanity. The
    > internet was never
    > meant to be dominated by big corporations.

    No, it was meant to make communication in the US possible, even if
    several major cities were obliterated in a nuclear war. I'm guessing
    you don't mind that we've found other uses for it.

    > Have some self respect. Bite the bullet for a week or two. You have
    > the
    > power to shape the future of online sales for independent sellers. Or
    > you can
    > laydown and do nothing and let eBay continue to exploit you.

    And they've done, what, exactly? Charged me for auctions that made me
    money?

    > BOYCOTT 18th to ???....until ebay gets the message. Sellers put up
    > 99% of the work to produce the items listed on eBay. Sellers pay eBay
    > to host their auctions. Not to be exploited.

    Sellers pay to put their auctions in a place that will generate sales.
    If you want to put up an index card on the supermarket community board,
    be my guest, but I'd rather get noticed and sell for a good profit.

    > Ebay is a WEB HOSTING SERVICE. The typical web host offers 500meg-1GB
    > storage with 25GB-50GB bandwidth for $7.95/month. If the typical web
    > host charged eBay's rates we would be paying $8,000.00/month for the
    > same storage and bandwidth. Ebay is an overpriced WEB HOST. Nothing
    > more.

    Ummm... no. eBay is a marketplace. It's set up to attract buyers and
    sellers, with search features geared to math the right buyers to the
    right sellers. Web hosting services let you edit your material any time
    you wish-- eBay doesn't. Web hosting services charge you extra if you
    generate excessive traffic-- eBay doesn't.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com
    Aaron J. Bossig, Feb 9, 2005
  8. TCS Guest

    On 8 Feb 2005 09:45:47 -0800, <> wrote:
    >How much does it cost eBay to host your listing? 1/20th of a penny?
    >One Penny? Ebay is charging sellers 100 to 1,000 times that for listing
    >and final
    >value fees and sellers have bought into this nonsense like mindless
    >sheep.

    >A one week boycott would have eBay bending over backwards to bring
    >sellers back. A mass exodus would put an end to this insanity. The
    >internet was never
    >meant to be dominated by big corporations.

    What a moronic idea, just a new version of the gas boycott idiocy.
    TCS, Feb 9, 2005
  9. Mike Kohary Guest

    wrote:

    > Ebay is a WEB HOSTING SERVICE. The typical web host offers 500meg-1GB
    > storage with 25GB-50GB bandwidth for $7.95/month. If the typical web
    > host charged eBay's rates we would be paying $8,000.00/month for the
    > same storage and bandwidth. Ebay is an overpriced WEB HOST. Nothing
    > more.

    They are nothing of the kind. Does the average webhost bring millions of
    visitors to your doorstep? No.

    If you don't like Ebay, don't use them, and go find an alternative service.
    There are plenty of them. Simple as that.

    Mike Kohary, Feb 9, 2005
  10. Large Farva Guest

    Meh. Most of us are smart enough to know how to get paid back for our Ebay
    fees.

    Large Farva, Feb 9, 2005
  11. Joe S Guest

    wrote:
    > I can understand using ebay to buy dvds if you live in some remote town
    > or if you are housebound and cannot get out to do shopping or if th e
    > dvd title in question is very rare.
    > But using it to buy commonly available dvd titles when in most cases
    > you can go down to the local store (like Walmart or Best Buy) and get a
    > NEW dvd title for LESS than what you would likely pay for a used one on
    > ebay (especially when you factor in S&H)is just plain crazy!

    You clearly have not been shopping for DVDs on eBay lately.

    --
    Joe
    Joe S, Feb 9, 2005
  12. Otter Guest

    On 8 Feb 2005 09:45:47 -0800, wrote:

    >How much does it cost eBay to host your listing? 1/20th of a penny?
    >One Penny? Ebay is charging sellers 100 to 1,000 times that for listing
    >and final
    >value fees and sellers have bought into this nonsense like mindless
    >sheep.

    They're a business, they need to make money. Charging 3cents to host
    your auction wouldn't exactly allow them to stay in business.

    That $0.35 must really break your bank.

    -Otter
    Otter, Feb 9, 2005
  13. RichA Guest

    On 8 Feb 2005 09:45:47 -0800, wrote:

    >How much does it cost eBay to host your listing? 1/20th of a penny?
    >One Penny? Ebay is charging sellers 100 to 1,000 times that for listing
    >and final
    >value fees and sellers have bought into this nonsense like mindless
    >sheep.
    >
    >A one week boycott would have eBay bending over backwards to bring
    >sellers back. A mass exodus would put an end to this insanity. The
    >internet was never
    >meant to be dominated by big corporations.
    >
    >Have some self respect. Bite the bullet for a week or two. You have the
    >power to shape the future of online sales for independent sellers. Or
    >you can
    >laydown and do nothing and let eBay continue to exploit you.
    >
    >BOYCOTT 18th to ???....until ebay gets the message. Sellers put up
    >99% of the work to produce the items listed on eBay. Sellers pay eBay
    >to host their auctions. Not to be exploited.

    It's pretty clear to most that items sold for under $25 or so are not
    worth the effort on Ebay. Unless you do what many retailers on Ebay
    do an horrifically pad the shipping costs!
    -Rich
    RichA, Feb 9, 2005
  14. Jon Purkey Guest

    On 8 Feb 2005 17:37:33 -0800, wrote:

    >I can understand using ebay to buy dvds if you live in some remote town
    >or if you are housebound and cannot get out to do shopping or if th e
    >dvd title in question is very rare.
    >But using it to buy commonly available dvd titles when in most cases
    >you can go down to the local store (like Walmart or Best Buy) and get a
    >NEW dvd title for LESS than what you would likely pay for a used one on
    >ebay (especially when you factor in S&H)is just plain crazy!

    eBay can be cheaper, especially if you don't mind getting a used (and
    possibly copied by the seller) DVD. But as long as I'm getting the
    original (not the copy) and it plays without skipping then I don't
    care if it's used or if the seller has broken any copyright laws.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)
    Jon Purkey, Feb 9, 2005
  15. FAQmeister Guest

    "Joe S" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >> I can understand using ebay to buy dvds if you live in some remote
    >> town or if you are housebound and cannot get out to do shopping or
    >> if th e dvd title in question is very rare.
    >> But using it to buy commonly available dvd titles when in most cases
    >> you can go down to the local store (like Walmart or Best Buy) and
    >> get a NEW dvd title for LESS than what you would likely pay for a
    >> used one on ebay (especially when you factor in S&H)is just plain
    >> crazy!

    > You clearly have not been shopping for DVDs on eBay lately.

    Both eBay and Amazon Marketplace are awash in import DVDs and the
    sellers usually don't disclose that what they are selling are imports. I
    don't mind imports sometimes, if I'm getting a substantial discount over
    what a US release would cost, but when I buy what I think is a US
    release and it turns out to be an import, I want to hang the seller for
    fraud.

    Unfortunately neither eBay or Amazon seems to care about this and both
    expect the buyer to return the DVD at their expense in order to get a
    refund.
    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    FAQmeister, Feb 9, 2005
  16. Justin Guest

    FAQmeister wrote on [Wed, 9 Feb 2005 13:38:51 -0800]:
    > "Joe S" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >>> I can understand using ebay to buy dvds if you live in some remote
    >>> town or if you are housebound and cannot get out to do shopping or
    >>> if th e dvd title in question is very rare.
    >>> But using it to buy commonly available dvd titles when in most cases
    >>> you can go down to the local store (like Walmart or Best Buy) and
    >>> get a NEW dvd title for LESS than what you would likely pay for a
    >>> used one on ebay (especially when you factor in S&H)is just plain
    >>> crazy!

    >> You clearly have not been shopping for DVDs on eBay lately.

    > Both eBay and Amazon Marketplace are awash in import DVDs and the

    Bootlegs. Not imports.
    Justin, Feb 9, 2005
  17. FAQmeister Guest

    "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > FAQmeister wrote on [Wed, 9 Feb 2005 13:38:51 -0800]:
    >> "Joe S" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> You clearly have not been shopping for DVDs on eBay lately.

    >> Both eBay and Amazon Marketplace are awash in import DVDs and the

    > Bootlegs. Not imports.

    I've seen plenty of bootlegs, but the one's I'm talking about look like
    authorized releases to me. The artwork is perfect and they have good
    UPCs, as well as subtitles in different languages--not just Asian.
    FAQmeister, Feb 9, 2005
  18. Jay G. Guest

    On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 15:20:53 -0800, FAQmeister wrote:
    > "Justin" <> wrote
    >> FAQmeister wrote on [Wed, 9 Feb 2005 13:38:51 -0800]:
    >>> Both eBay and Amazon Marketplace are awash in import DVDs and the

    >> Bootlegs. Not imports.

    > I've seen plenty of bootlegs, but the one's I'm talking about look like
    > authorized releases to me. The artwork is perfect and they have good
    > UPCs, as well as subtitles in different languages--not just Asian.

    So they're good quality bootlegs. If the DVD is region free and has Asian
    subtitles, and if the seller is selling a large volume of them at a
    substantive discount, then they're likely bootlegs. The quality of the
    pressing or packaging aren't as much a consideration anymore, as pirates
    have gotten better at this.

    Now, there are a lot of legitimate Asian releases. However, the majority
    of them never show up on eBay, and if it's a Hollywood release, are very
    likely to cost the same or more than an R1. There are exceptions, but
    especially if the seller is trying to pass it off as an R1, it's probably a
    bootleg.

    -Jay
    Jay G., Feb 9, 2005
  19. Guest

    He is right about one thing I have not purchased any dvds on Ebay
    lately but other than that...

    In fact to give you an example this morning I purchased "The Man in the
    Moon" for $6.64 at Walmart which, if you go look on Ebay you will see
    that most of the "Opening Bids" are almost all greater than what I
    aldeady paid, and that is before you factor in the S&H!

    And then you gotta wonder and worry(like you pointed out) about things
    like is this the "Real Deal"or some pirated crap put out by some
    chinese bootlegers who a decade ago might have been making rubber dog
    doo.

    Heck just keep your eyes on the sunday flyers from Best Buy and Circut
    City and Walmart and Target (and doxens of other stores big and
    small)and you will find most all the dvd deals you want, and then some!
    , Feb 10, 2005