    (or more) of RAM?

    Thanks,

    Bill
    bill, Mar 1, 2006

  2. bill

    Rick Guest

    Would 32 GB be enough?

    http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/v40z/index.jsp

    The Sun V40Z will handle 32 GB - Scales horizontally in grid or HA
    cluster, with high speed Gigabit or InfiniBand interconnect

    Rick, Mar 1, 2006

  3. bill

    Rick Guest

    Here's an HP that will hold 64 GB:

    http://www.devx.com/amd/Article/21307

    It's amazing what one can find using Google. GIYF!

    Rick, Mar 1, 2006
  4. I hope you don't plan on purchasing such a system for personal use, you have
    heating to think about, plus the electricity bill.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 1, 2006
  5. bill

    bill Guest

    The HP DL 585 can accomodate 64GB of PC 2700 RAM. Also, at this time, HP is
    the only company that makes the 8GB DIMM sticks needed to achieve that
    amount (8 RAM slots in DL585, 8GB sticks). Did I mention that HP wants about
    $6500 for 1 (one, as in uno) stick. That's why they call it a stick -- they
    stick it to the customer.

    Bill

    bill, Mar 1, 2006
  6. bill

    Rick Guest

    Here's some for only $4,349.40 each. If you purchase 8 at once you get
    a discount and they come out to $4,270.32 each.

    http://www.neutronexpress.com/prod....STC39548GB/COMPAQ_PROLIANT_PC2700_8GB_REG_DDR

    Rick, Mar 1, 2006
  7. bill

    Rick Guest

    Here's another place and they are only $4,152.00 each.

    http://www.excaliberpc.com/SimpleTech_8GB_PC2700_333MHz_ECC/STC3954_8GB/partinfo-id-559974.html

    Rick, Mar 1, 2006
  8. http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantdl585/index.html

    HP DL-585. One smoking box! Supports 128 Gb max RAM.

    More than just RAM, however, this is a well designed box that has a very
    fast I/O subsystem and can handle all the rest of what you'll need and want
    if you have something that needs that much RAM.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 1, 2006
  9. Ah, HP. Well, if you're looking at a box that will do this, you're going to
    pay. And the 585 will now hold 128 Gb of RAM, not 64. For which you'll pay
    even more, I'm sure. But it's still a great box.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 1, 2006
  10. To say nothing of the need to wear ear plugs in the immediate vicinity, I'm
    sure. But tell you what, HP. Send me one and I'll deal with all of those and
    write a nice blog entry or two as well. ;)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 1, 2006
  11. When I win the lottery I am going to buy one. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 1, 2006
  12. bill

    bill Guest

    Yes, sir. As you can tell I'm not looking for a home box buying for the
    company I work at.

    Bill

    bill, Mar 1, 2006
  13. bill

    ack Guest

    How about the Unisys ES7000? It claims to to take up to 512 GB.
    -Ack
    ack, Mar 1, 2006
  14. Andre Da Costa, Mar 1, 2006
  15. bill

    Cheese_Thief Guest

    Just curious, but in what situation would you need a computer with 64
    GB of RAM or more?
    Cheese_Thief, Mar 2, 2006
  16. bill

    roman modic Guest

    roman modic, Mar 2, 2006
  17. bill

    roman modic Guest

    Hello!

    "Cheese_Thief" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Just curious, but in what situation would you need a computer with 64
    > GB of RAM or more?

    Terminal Services:
    http://www.unisys.com/products/es70...rk__reports/microsoft__terminal__services.htm
    Regards, Roman
    roman modic, Mar 2, 2006
  18. Thats good stuff. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 3, 2006
  19. Terminal Services is one of those things that is a flat no-brainer for x64.
    The numbers I've seen are on the order of 4-7x the number of users for
    essentially the same box switching to x64. Rarely is the CPU the limiter -
    it's the number of PTEs as much as anything.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 3, 2006