    I get alot of these 'pix' that never load in posts on this newsgroup (only
    one I really use anyway) I'm using OE6 to read posts, is there anyway I can
    configure to see the pictures?

    Muse Groops, Mar 30, 2007

  2. Muse Groops

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-03-30, Muse Groops <> wrote:
    > I get alot of these 'pix' that never load in posts on this newsgroup (only
    > one I really use anyway) I'm using OE6 to read posts, is there anyway I can
    > configure to see the pictures?

    I don't think you should be getting any such posts in this group; it seems
    to be a 'text only' group and what you describe suggests 'binaries'. I
    know that some news-servers are not effective at dropping mis-posted
    binaries.

    If you are seeing a 'placeholder' (your "Box with red 'x'"), then you are
    allowing OE to parse HTML (never a good idea, for security reasons) and
    that HTML seems to contain URLs (for 'images') which are for some reason
    not accessible to your OE. That is probably just as well for you; you do
    not want your OE wandering about on websites. If you have to see the
    'images', copy/paste the URLs into a web browser (preferably not IE).
    Assuming that your Windows computer is completely up-to-date with Microsoft
    updates and equally up-to-date with 'anti-virus', 'anti-spyware', etc
    programs.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 30, 2007

  3. Muse Groops

    Flirt Guest

    "Muse Groops" <> wrote in message
    >I get alot of these 'pix' that never load in posts on this newsgroup (only
    >one I really use anyway) I'm using OE6 to read posts, is there anyway I can
    >configure to see the pictures?

    It means the pix are no longer available on the server you are accessing.
    As for "on this newgroup", this actual group you posted your question to
    is a text only group, so no pix here.

    Flirt, Mar 30, 2007
  4. Muse Groops

    news Guest

    Is it really this newsgroup?

    news, Mar 30, 2007
  5. Muse Groops

    Muse Groops Guest

    news wrote:
    > Is it really this newsgroup?

    check for a post from "fdfdf" (chinese language with a bunch of links) on
    3/28 around 9pm , the last post in that thread from Frosty has a box with a
    red x in the center. And I've seen others, as if someone was trying to
    insert a pic as a joke sometimes.

    Muse Groops, Mar 30, 2007
  6. Muse Groops

    WhzzKdd Guest

    >I get alot of these 'pix' that never load in posts on this newsgroup (only
    >one I really use anyway) I'm using OE6 to read posts, is there anyway I can
    >configure to see the pictures?

    Stop downloading porn and get back to work.

    WhzzKdd, Mar 30, 2007
  7. Muse Groops

    > news wrote:
    >> Is it really this newsgroup?
    >>

    > check for a post from "fdfdf" (chinese language with a bunch of links) on
    > 3/28 around 9pm , the last post in that thread from Frosty has a box with
    > a red x in the center. And I've seen others, as if someone was trying to
    > insert a pic as a joke sometimes.

    That is a gif, when some post via a web interface forum there is sometimes
    the facility to add an image as a signature. I can't be bothered to go
    looking
    for the post concerned but it will probably be a "smiley" etc.
    OE security settings correctly block such add-on's, normally it will instead
    be as as attachment to the post, look to top tight corner of said post to
    see
    if there is an attachment, if so, click it to view the annoying and
    pointless gif.

    Flirt, Mar 30, 2007
  8. Muse Groops

    ellis_jay Guest

    Flirt wrote:
    > "Muse Groops" <> wrote in message
    >> news wrote:
    >>> Is it really this newsgroup?
    >>>

    >> check for a post from "fdfdf" (chinese language with a bunch of
    >> links) on 3/28 around 9pm , the last post in that thread from Frosty
    >> has a box with a red x in the center. And I've seen others, as if
    >> someone was trying to insert a pic as a joke sometimes.
    >>

    > That is a gif, when some post via a web interface forum there is
    > sometimes the facility to add an image as a signature.

    I am unaware of any web forum that posts to this newsgroup or even offers
    the service. I have never seen any headers indicating such a thing. But
    maybe it happens. If so, I would think some one here would not take it
    kindly-but I could be wrong on all of it. I do know that OE6fix does allow
    emoticons to be pasted in the body of the text, for example laughingoutloud
    indicated by three letters of the alphabet will produce a smiley.

    lol

    >I can't be
    > bothered to go looking
    > for the post concerned but it will probably be a "smiley" etc.

    > OE security settings correctly block such add-on's,

    My OE6 is set for text only but the "fix" works.

    > normally it will
    > instead be as as attachment to the post,

    AVGfree also will produce the famous paper clip, which if opened blabs
    guarantees from Grisoft-blah-blah-blah. I also use AVGfree

    >look to top tight corner of
    > said post to see
    > if there is an attachment, if so, click it to view the annoying and
    > pointless gif.

    I also have tools-options-security-do not allow attachmenst be opened box
    checked.

    --

    When people are engaged in something they are not proud of, they do
    not welcome witnesses. In fact, they come to believe the witness causes

    Ellis_Jay

    ellis_jay, Apr 1, 2007
  9. Muse Groops

    Flirt Guest

    "ellis_jay" <> wrote in message
    > Flirt wrote:
    >> "Muse Groops" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> check for a post from "fdfdf" (chinese language with a bunch of
    >>> links) on 3/28 around 9pm , the last post in that thread from Frosty
    >>> has a box with a red x in the center. And I've seen others, as if
    >>> someone was trying to insert a pic as a joke sometimes.
    >>>

    >> That is a gif, when some post via a web interface forum there is
    >> sometimes the facility to add an image as a signature.

    > I am unaware of any web forum that posts to this newsgroup or even offers
    > the service. I have never seen any headers indicating such a thing. But
    > maybe it happens. If so, I would think some one here would not take it
    > kindly-but I could be wrong on all of it. I do know that OE6fix does
    > allow
    > emoticons to be pasted in the body of the text, for example
    > laughingoutloud
    > indicated by three letters of the alphabet will produce a smiley.
    >
    > lol

    With just one google of: "ellis_jay" <>
    produced this one example of many web forums that can accesses this
    newsgroup: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1988093.php
    Just sign-up and then logon and you also can post a reply to yourself
    from a web interface.
    There you go, you've learnt something.

    Flirt, Apr 1, 2007
  10. Muse Groops

    Robb Guest

    ellis_jay wrote:

    >I am unaware of any web forum that posts to this newsgroup or even offers
    >the service.

    Depends on how you define "a forum". Bulletin board software probably
    not - straight out of the zip. But that doesn't preclude someone from sticking
    NNTP code in. Posting code is easy, compared to parsing and building threads,
    ect.

    At least three web interfaces are/were available, you can try this one free:
    http://newsreader.com/news
    Login: demo
    Pass: <5 numbers>
    Newsreader's server supports normal clients, it's a good option /and/
    operation.

    Another one was written by a person in China, years back, that ran on
    practically any website, and Easynews was written as "web side" not
    traditional NNTP, and I wrote a read/post web app in PHP. Surgenews
    (server software) seems to have had a web interface too.

    >I have never seen any headers indicating such a thing.

    Probably won't. There's not a lot of reason to complicate it, discounting
    googles shitty implementation.

    > But maybe it happens. If so, I would think some one here would not take it
    >kindly-but I could be wrong on all of it. I do know that OE6fix does allow
    >emoticons to be pasted in the body of the text, for example laughingoutloud
    >indicated by three letters of the alphabet will produce a smiley.
    >
    >lol

    Fortunately Usenet *text messages* - since the appearance of X-Face
    haven't drifted towards graphical crap much in 26-27 years.

    --
    Robb

    Robb, Apr 1, 2007
  11. Muse Groops

    ellis_jay Guest

    Flirt wrote:
    > "ellis_jay" <> wrote in message
    >> Flirt wrote:
    >>> "Muse Groops" <> wrote in message

    >>> That is a gif, when some post via a web interface forum there is
    >>> sometimes the facility to add an image as a signature.

    >> I am unaware of any web forum that posts to this newsgroup or even
    >> offers the service.

    > With just one google of: "ellis_jay" <>
    > produced this one example of many web forums that can accesses this
    > newsgroup: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1988093.php
    > Just sign-up and then logon and you also can post a reply to yourself
    > from a web interface.
    > There you go, you've learnt something.

    Aight! Thanx....

    ellis_jay, Apr 2, 2007