    - video-chatting
    - download mp3s

    Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

    Wellygoggles, Jan 3, 2004

  2. Wellygoggles

    Lebowski Guest

    "Wellygoggles" <> wrote in message
    news:qnrJb.15484$...
    > Well I'm fed up of my PC freezing. I've updated drivers, done a virus

    scan,
    > defrag, squirted a can of air to clean the fan - all to no avail. So I
    > think I'll buy a new box (keyboard, monitor, mouse, printer, speakers are
    > all ok), but I don't know what I should buy, so I would be very grateful

    if
    > you guys could make your recommendations based on the fact that the things

    > do on the net the most are
    > - play Literati (a Scrabble-like Yahoo game) (my rating is dropping
    > dramatically because my system freezes & my opponents presume I have left
    > the game, therefore, they get the win even though I may have been in the
    > lead SIGH)
    > - listen to the UK radio
    > - video-chatting
    > - download mp3s
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

    Hi, this is a super-cheap way to do it - try the TasTech "Internet Upgrade
    Box", at www.tastech.co.nz - I've done much dealing with TasTech (including
    buying these various upgrade boxes) and they have always been good to me and
    the courier charge is very reasonable too. For three hundred bucks you can't
    go wrong. Here are the details:

    Internet Upgrade Box $315 inc GST
    AMD Duron 1.6GHz CPU & Fan
    PC Chips M825LMR Motherboard
    256Mb Adata PC3200 DDR400
    Integrated Graphics (+ AGP Slot)
    Mid ATX Tower Case 300w
    Integrated 56k Modem
    Integrated Sound
    Integrated 10/100 LAN

    HTH

    Lebowski, Jan 3, 2004

  3. Wellygoggles

    ac Guest

    In article <qnrJb.15484$>,
    says...
    > Well I'm fed up of my PC freezing. I've updated drivers, done a virus scan,
    > defrag, squirted a can of air to clean the fan - all to no avail. So I
    > think I'll buy a new box (keyboard, monitor, mouse, printer, speakers are
    > all ok), but I don't know what I should buy, so I would be very grateful if
    > you guys could make your recommendations based on the fact that the things I
    > do on the net the most are
    > - play Literati (a Scrabble-like Yahoo game) (my rating is dropping
    > dramatically because my system freezes & my opponents presume I have left
    > the game, therefore, they get the win even though I may have been in the
    > lead SIGH)
    > - listen to the UK radio
    > - video-chatting
    > - download mp3s
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

    Well before splashing out. How about:

    a) Testing to see if your memory is defective.
    b) Test to see if your hard drive has bad sectors.
    c) Reinstall/Upgrade your operating system.
    d) Borrow someone else's power supply to check that out.

    These options are cheaper...

    ac, Jan 3, 2004
  4. Wellygoggles

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Lebowski wrote:
    > "Wellygoggles" <> wrote in message
    >> Well I'm fed up of my PC freezing. I've updated drivers, done a
    >> virus scan, defrag, squirted a can of air to clean the fan - all to
    >> no avail. So I think I'll buy a new box (keyboard, monitor, mouse,
    >> printer, speakers are all ok), but I don't know what I should buy,
    >> so I would be very grateful if you guys could make your
    >> recommendations based on the fact that the things I do on the net
    >> the most are - play Literati (a Scrabble-like Yahoo game) (my rating
    >> is dropping dramatically because my system freezes & my opponents
    >> presume I have left the game, therefore, they get the win even
    >> though I may have been in the lead SIGH)
    >> - listen to the UK radio
    >> - video-chatting
    >> - download mp3s
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    >>

    > Hi, this is a super-cheap way to do it - try the TasTech "Internet
    > Upgrade Box", at www.tastech.co.nz - I've done much dealing with
    > TasTech (including buying these various upgrade boxes) and they have
    > always been good to me and the courier charge is very reasonable too.
    > For three hundred bucks you can't go wrong. Here are the details:
    >
    > Internet Upgrade Box $315 inc GST
    > AMD Duron 1.6GHz CPU & Fan
    > PC Chips M825LMR Motherboard
    > 256Mb Adata PC3200 DDR400
    > Integrated Graphics (+ AGP Slot)
    > Mid ATX Tower Case 300w
    > Integrated 56k Modem
    > Integrated Sound
    > Integrated 10/100 LAN
    >
    > HTH

    That's a great deal. I'm not a fan of PC Chips boards but then again I like
    to fiddle and they usually have very few options in the BIOS. For what
    Wellgoogles wants that box would be great.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jan 3, 2004
  5. Wellygoggles

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 17:16:55 +1300, "Wellygoggles" <>
    wrote:

    >Well I'm fed up of my PC freezing. I've updated drivers, done a virus scan,
    >defrag, squirted a can of air to clean the fan - all to no avail. So I
    >think I'll buy a new box (keyboard, monitor, mouse, printer, speakers are
    >all ok), but I don't know what I should buy, so I would be very grateful if
    >you guys could make your recommendations based on the fact that the things I
    >do on the net the most are
    >- play Literati (a Scrabble-like Yahoo game) (my rating is dropping
    >dramatically because my system freezes & my opponents presume I have left
    >the game, therefore, they get the win even though I may have been in the
    >lead SIGH)
    >- listen to the UK radio
    >- video-chatting
    >- download mp3s
    >
    >Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

    Yes go for a Intel based system its the Only way..

    Dumdedo, Jan 3, 2004
  6. Wellygoggles

    harry Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Lebowski wrote:
    >> "Wellygoggles" <> wrote in message
    >>> Well I'm fed up of my PC freezing. I've updated drivers, done a
    >>> virus scan, defrag, squirted a can of air to clean the fan - all to
    >>> no avail. So I think I'll buy a new box (keyboard, monitor, mouse,
    >>> printer, speakers are all ok), but I don't know what I should buy,
    >>> so I would be very grateful if you guys could make your
    >>> recommendations based on the fact that the things I do on the net
    >>> the most are - play Literati (a Scrabble-like Yahoo game) (my rating
    >>> is dropping dramatically because my system freezes & my opponents
    >>> presume I have left the game, therefore, they get the win even
    >>> though I may have been in the lead SIGH)
    >>> - listen to the UK radio
    >>> - video-chatting
    >>> - download mp3s
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    >>>

    >> Hi, this is a super-cheap way to do it - try the TasTech "Internet
    >> Upgrade Box", at www.tastech.co.nz - I've done much dealing with
    >> TasTech (including buying these various upgrade boxes) and they have
    >> always been good to me and the courier charge is very reasonable too.
    >> For three hundred bucks you can't go wrong. Here are the details:
    >>
    >> Internet Upgrade Box $315 inc GST
    >> AMD Duron 1.6GHz CPU & Fan
    >> PC Chips M825LMR Motherboard
    >> 256Mb Adata PC3200 DDR400
    >> Integrated Graphics (+ AGP Slot)
    >> Mid ATX Tower Case 300w
    >> Integrated 56k Modem
    >> Integrated Sound
    >> Integrated 10/100 LAN
    >>
    >> HTH

    > That's a great deal. I'm not a fan of PC Chips boards but then again
    > I like to fiddle and they usually have very few options in the BIOS.
    > For what Wellgoogles wants that box would be great.

    In Wellington where I presume Wellygoggles is, Atech opposite the Chaffers
    Supermarket have a similar upgrade deal, not as cheap, but as I say, local.
    www.atech.co.nz
    www.pp.co.nz who are in Newlands also have a similar deal.
    Both of them will take your old box and transfer the drives.
    Gyrotech in Marion St would probably do something similar, but reports of
    their service are variable.

    harry, Jan 3, 2004
  7. Wellygoggles

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 17:29:45 +1300, "Lebowski" <>
    wrote:

    >"Wellygoggles" <> wrote in message
    >> Well I'm fed up of my PC freezing. I've updated drivers, done a virus

    >scan,
    >> defrag, squirted a can of air to clean the fan - all to no avail. So I
    >> think I'll buy a new box (keyboard, monitor, mouse, printer, speakers are
    >> all ok), but I don't know what I should buy, so I would be very grateful

    >if
    >> you guys could make your recommendations based on the fact that the things

    >> do on the net the most are
    >> - play Literati (a Scrabble-like Yahoo game) (my rating is dropping
    >> dramatically because my system freezes & my opponents presume I have left
    >> the game, therefore, they get the win even though I may have been in the
    >> lead SIGH)
    >> - listen to the UK radio
    >> - video-chatting
    >> - download mp3s
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    >>

    >Hi, this is a super-cheap way to do it - try the TasTech "Internet Upgrade
    >Box", at www.tastech.co.nz - I've done much dealing with TasTech (including
    >buying these various upgrade boxes) and they have always been good to me and
    >the courier charge is very reasonable too. For three hundred bucks you can't
    >go wrong. Here are the details:
    >
    >Internet Upgrade Box $315 inc GST
    >AMD Duron 1.6GHz CPU & Fan
    >PC Chips M825LMR Motherboard
    >256Mb Adata PC3200 DDR400
    >Integrated Graphics (+ AGP Slot)
    >Mid ATX Tower Case 300w
    >Integrated 56k Modem
    >Integrated Sound
    >Integrated 10/100 LAN
    >
    >HTH

    AMD Please don't make me sick..

    AMD Toys for little boys..

    Dumdedo, Jan 3, 2004
  8. Wellygoggles

    pete Guest

    "Dumdedo" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 17:29:45 +1300, "Lebowski" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Wellygoggles" <> wrote in message
    > >> Well I'm fed up of my PC freezing. I've updated drivers, done a virus

    > >scan,
    > >> defrag, squirted a can of air to clean the fan - all to no avail. So I
    > >> think I'll buy a new box (keyboard, monitor, mouse, printer, speakers

    are
    > >> all ok), but I don't know what I should buy, so I would be very

    grateful
    > >if
    > >> you guys could make your recommendations based on the fact that the

    things
    > >> do on the net the most are
    > >> - play Literati (a Scrabble-like Yahoo game) (my rating is dropping
    > >> dramatically because my system freezes & my opponents presume I have

    left
    > >> the game, therefore, they get the win even though I may have been in

    the
    > >> lead SIGH)
    > >> - listen to the UK radio
    > >> - video-chatting
    > >> - download mp3s
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    > >>

    > >Hi, this is a super-cheap way to do it - try the TasTech "Internet

    Upgrade
    > >Box", at www.tastech.co.nz - I've done much dealing with TasTech

    (including
    > >buying these various upgrade boxes) and they have always been good to me

    and
    > >the courier charge is very reasonable too. For three hundred bucks you

    can't
    > >go wrong. Here are the details:
    > >
    > >Internet Upgrade Box $315 inc GST
    > >AMD Duron 1.6GHz CPU & Fan
    > >PC Chips M825LMR Motherboard
    > >256Mb Adata PC3200 DDR400
    > >Integrated Graphics (+ AGP Slot)
    > >Mid ATX Tower Case 300w
    > >Integrated 56k Modem
    > >Integrated Sound
    > >Integrated 10/100 LAN
    > >
    > >HTH
    > >

    > AMD Please don't make me sick..
    >

    > AMD Toys for little boys..

    Woger and his little boys fetish... Please don't make me sick

    pete, Jan 3, 2004
  9. Wellygoggles

    Lebowski Guest

    "harry" <> wrote in message
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Lebowski wrote:
    > >> "Wellygoggles" <> wrote in message

    > >> Hi, this is a super-cheap way to do it - try the TasTech "Internet
    > >> Upgrade Box", at www.tastech.co.nz - I've done much dealing with
    > >> TasTech (including buying these various upgrade boxes) and they have
    > >> always been good to me and the courier charge is very reasonable too.
    > >> For three hundred bucks you can't go wrong. Here are the details:
    > >>
    > >> Internet Upgrade Box $315 inc GST
    > >> AMD Duron 1.6GHz CPU & Fan
    > >> PC Chips M825LMR Motherboard
    > >> 256Mb Adata PC3200 DDR400
    > >> Integrated Graphics (+ AGP Slot)
    > >> Mid ATX Tower Case 300w
    > >> Integrated 56k Modem
    > >> Integrated Sound
    > >> Integrated 10/100 LAN
    > >>
    > >> HTH

    > > That's a great deal. I'm not a fan of PC Chips boards but then again
    > > I like to fiddle and they usually have very few options in the BIOS.
    > > For what Wellgoogles wants that box would be great.

    > In Wellington where I presume Wellygoggles is, Atech opposite the Chaffers
    > Supermarket have a similar upgrade deal, not as cheap, but as I say,

    local.
    > www.atech.co.nz
    > www.pp.co.nz who are in Newlands also have a similar deal.
    > Both of them will take your old box and transfer the drives.
    > Gyrotech in Marion St would probably do something similar, but reports of
    > their service are variable.

    Yes I totally agree with misfit and harry. Personally, I am not a fan of PC
    Chips motherboards either, but I bought the system for my mother whose needs
    are very similar to those described in the original posting.

    Tas Tech's is a good example of this kind of deal, and so if you can find a
    similar deal locally, then great - there are some nice deals for barebones
    systems in this modest pricerange. Shopping around is the key; let Pricespy
    be your friend :)

    Lebowski, Jan 3, 2004
  10. Wellygoggles

    Lebowski Guest

    "Dumdedo" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 17:29:45 +1300, "Lebowski" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Wellygoggles" <> wrote in message
    > >> Well I'm fed up of my PC freezing. I've updated drivers, done a virus

    > >scan,
    > >> defrag, squirted a can of air to clean the fan - all to no avail. So I
    > >> think I'll buy a new box (keyboard, monitor, mouse, printer, speakers

    are
    > >> all ok), but I don't know what I should buy, so I would be very

    grateful
    > >if
    > >> you guys could make your recommendations based on the fact that the

    things
    > >> do on the net the most are
    > >> - play Literati (a Scrabble-like Yahoo game) (my rating is dropping
    > >> dramatically because my system freezes & my opponents presume I have

    left
    > >> the game, therefore, they get the win even though I may have been in

    the
    > >> lead SIGH)
    > >> - listen to the UK radio
    > >> - video-chatting
    > >> - download mp3s
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    > >>

    > >Hi, this is a super-cheap way to do it - try the TasTech "Internet

    Upgrade
    > >Box", at www.tastech.co.nz - I've done much dealing with TasTech

    (including
    > >buying these various upgrade boxes) and they have always been good to me

    and
    > >the courier charge is very reasonable too. For three hundred bucks you

    can't
    > >go wrong. Here are the details:
    > >
    > >Internet Upgrade Box $315 inc GST
    > >AMD Duron 1.6GHz CPU & Fan
    > >PC Chips M825LMR Motherboard
    > >256Mb Adata PC3200 DDR400
    > >Integrated Graphics (+ AGP Slot)
    > >Mid ATX Tower Case 300w
    > >Integrated 56k Modem
    > >Integrated Sound
    > >Integrated 10/100 LAN
    > >
    > >HTH
    > >

    > AMD Please don't make me sick..
    >

    > AMD Toys for little boys..

    Um, they are cheaper, and good performance (Durons are actually good solid
    performers)...and perfect for what this prospective consumer wants. Were you
    just trying to be funny? Because you don't sound very switched on to the
    original poster's requirements to me. Hell, I'm not a fan of Celerons
    either, but they all have their time and place.

    Lebowski, Jan 3, 2004
  11. Wellygoggles

    Dumdedo Guest

    On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 00:18:04 +1300, "Lebowski" <>
    wrote:

    >"Dumdedo" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 17:29:45 +1300, "Lebowski" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Wellygoggles" <> wrote in message
    >> >scan,

    >are

    >grateful
    >> >if

    >things

    >left

    >the

    >> >Hi, this is a super-cheap way to do it - try the TasTech "Internet

    >Upgrade
    >> >Box", at www.tastech.co.nz - I've done much dealing with TasTech

    >(including
    >> >buying these various upgrade boxes) and they have always been good to me

    >and
    >> >the courier charge is very reasonable too. For three hundred bucks you

    >can't
    >> >go wrong. Here are the details:
    >> >
    >> >Internet Upgrade Box $315 inc GST
    >> >AMD Duron 1.6GHz CPU & Fan
    >> >PC Chips M825LMR Motherboard
    >> >256Mb Adata PC3200 DDR400
    >> >Integrated Graphics (+ AGP Slot)
    >> >Mid ATX Tower Case 300w
    >> >Integrated 56k Modem
    >> >Integrated Sound
    >> >Integrated 10/100 LAN
    >> >
    >> >HTH
    >> >

    >> AMD Please don't make me sick..
    >>

    >> AMD Toys for little boys..
    >>

    >Um, they are cheaper, and good performance (Durons are actually good solid
    >performers)...and perfect for what this prospective consumer wants. Were you
    > just trying to be funny? Because you don't sound very switched on to the
    >original poster's requirements to me. Hell, I'm not a fan of Celerons
    >either, but they all have their time and place.

    No I use a P4c 2.4g, I would not touch a AMD at all, most systems are just to
    unstable, that is why Corporate firms use Intel.

    Dumdedo, Jan 3, 2004
  12. Wellygoggles

    Lebowski Guest

    "Dumdedo" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 00:18:04 +1300, "Lebowski" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Dumdedo" <> wrote in message
    > >> On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 17:29:45 +1300, "Lebowski"

    <>

    virus

    So I

    speakers
    > >are

    > >grateful

    > >things

    > >left

    > >the

    > >Upgrade

    > >(including

    me
    > >and

    > >can't

    > >> AMD Please don't make me sick..
    > >>

    > >> AMD Toys for little boys..
    > >>

    > >Um, they are cheaper, and good performance (Durons are actually good

    solid
    > >performers)...and perfect for what this prospective consumer wants. Were

    you
    > > just trying to be funny? Because you don't sound very switched on to the
    > >original poster's requirements to me. Hell, I'm not a fan of Celerons
    > >either, but they all have their time and place.
    > >

    > No I use a P4c 2.4g, I would not touch a AMD at all, most systems are

    just too
    > unstable

    Mine's not...neither is my mum's. My old 800mhz Duron was a great reliable
    performer, as is my current 2400+. Don't knock them til you try them. :)

    Lebowski, Jan 3, 2004
  13. Wellygoggles

    Graham Guest

    Wellygoggles wrote:

    > Well I'm fed up of my PC freezing. I've updated drivers, done a virus scan,
    > defrag, squirted a can of air to clean the fan - all to no avail. So I
    > think I'll buy a new box (keyboard, monitor, mouse, printer, speakers are
    > all ok), but I don't know what I should buy, so I would be very grateful if
    > you guys could make your recommendations based on the fact that the things I
    > do on the net the most are
    > - play Literati (a Scrabble-like Yahoo game) (my rating is dropping
    > dramatically because my system freezes & my opponents presume I have left
    > the game, therefore, they get the win even though I may have been in the
    > lead SIGH)
    > - listen to the UK radio
    > - video-chatting
    > - download mp3s
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

    What UK radio shows/hosts do you listen to? Any good ones? I listen to US
    radio, mostly Phil Hendrie. It's great comedy and highly recommended. And,
    needless to say, better than TV. ;-)

    http://www.philhendrieshow.com

    Phil Hendrie can be heard 4pm-7pm Tuesday to Saturday, NZ time, on WGST.
    http://www.wgst.com/stream.html

    Graham, Jan 8, 2004
  14. Wellygoggles

    Wellygoggles Guest

    "Graham" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Wellygoggles wrote:
    > >
    > > Well I'm fed up of my PC freezing. I've updated drivers, done a virus

    scan,
    > > defrag, squirted a can of air to clean the fan - all to no avail. So I
    > > think I'll buy a new box (keyboard, monitor, mouse, printer, speakers

    are
    > > all ok), but I don't know what I should buy, so I would be very grateful

    if
    > > you guys could make your recommendations based on the fact that the

    things I
    > > do on the net the most are
    > > - play Literati (a Scrabble-like Yahoo game) (my rating is dropping
    > > dramatically because my system freezes & my opponents presume I have

    left
    > > the game, therefore, they get the win even though I may have been in the
    > > lead SIGH)
    > > - listen to the UK radio
    > > - video-chatting
    > > - download mp3s
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

    > What UK radio shows/hosts do you listen to? Any good ones? I listen to US
    > radio, mostly Phil Hendrie. It's great comedy and highly recommended. And,
    > needless to say, better than TV. ;-)
    >
    > http://www.philhendrieshow.com
    >
    > Phil Hendrie can be heard 4pm-7pm Tuesday to Saturday, NZ time, on WGST.
    > http://www.wgst.com/stream.html

    Thanks, I'll check his show out. I listen to BBC Radio 2 for music and
    Radio 4 for quiz shows, comedy, and plays
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/atoz/index.shtml?link. Earlier shows are
    archived & can be accessed at a time which suits me.

    Wellygoggles, Jan 9, 2004