    I couldn't see my model of burner at their recommended DVD site either.

    Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some slight on this mysterious
    new medium for me.

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Mar 5, 2005

  2. Mrs Beeble Brock said the following on 5/03/2005 4:29 p.m.:
    > Hi guys, I'm confused about what media to buy. Have just installed this:
    > http://www.etccomputers.co.nz/shop/main/product.asp?pid=316&page=1&cid=10&bid=&sid=&rote=2
    >
    > and went to my usual on-line store at
    > https://www.consumables.co.nz/store/web/viewCat_h.asp?idCategory=305
    > and I haven't got the faintest idea of what I need to buy. I think the
    > fact I have a dual-layer writer means I can use disks up to 7 gigs but
    > what's the - and + R business?
    >
    > I couldn't see my model of burner at their recommended DVD site either.
    >
    > Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some slight on this mysterious
    > new medium for me.

    If you have a dual layer burner and you do you can use DVD 5 or DVD 9
    blanks, I used DVD 5 as it is more economic than dual layer media.
    I get my blanks from http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?page=18&s=DVD Media
    and have found the Laser brand good in the 4.7 Gb -R type.
    I use -R as it is for me the most compatible with stand alone DVD players.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Mar 5, 2005

  3. Mrs Beeble Brock said the following on 5/03/2005 4:29 p.m.:
    > Hi guys, I'm confused about what media to buy. Have just installed this:
    > http://www.etccomputers.co.nz/shop/main/product.asp?pid=316&page=1&cid=10&bid=&sid=&rote=2
    >
    > and went to my usual on-line store at
    > https://www.consumables.co.nz/store/web/viewCat_h.asp?idCategory=305
    > and I haven't got the faintest idea of what I need to buy. I think the
    > fact I have a dual-layer writer means I can use disks up to 7 gigs but
    > what's the - and + R business?
    >
    > I couldn't see my model of burner at their recommended DVD site either.
    >
    > Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some slight on this mysterious
    > new medium for me.

    In particular I use these
    http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=DVBLAS3150

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Mar 5, 2005
  4. Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Mrs Beeble Brock said the following on 5/03/2005 4:29 p.m.:
    >
    >> Hi guys, I'm confused about what media to buy. Have just installed
    >> this:
    >> http://www.etccomputers.co.nz/shop/main/product.asp?pid=316&page=1&cid=10&bid=&sid=&rote=2
    >>
    >> and went to my usual on-line store at
    >> https://www.consumables.co.nz/store/web/viewCat_h.asp?idCategory=305
    >> and I haven't got the faintest idea of what I need to buy. I think the
    >> fact I have a dual-layer writer means I can use disks up to 7 gigs but
    >> what's the - and + R business?
    >>
    >> I couldn't see my model of burner at their recommended DVD site either.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some slight on this
    >> mysterious new medium for me.

    > In particular I use these
    > http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=DVBLAS3150

    Thanks COllector, I'll take a look.
    Cheers,

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Mar 5, 2005
  5. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 16:37:45 +1300, Collector»NZ <>
    wrote:

    >Mrs Beeble Brock said the following on 5/03/2005 4:29 p.m.:
    >> Hi guys, I'm confused about what media to buy. Have just installed this:
    >> http://www.etccomputers.co.nz/shop/main/product.asp?pid=316&page=1&cid=10&bid=&sid=&rote=2
    >>
    >> and went to my usual on-line store at
    >> https://www.consumables.co.nz/store/web/viewCat_h.asp?idCategory=305
    >> and I haven't got the faintest idea of what I need to buy. I think the
    >> fact I have a dual-layer writer means I can use disks up to 7 gigs but
    >> what's the - and + R business?
    >>
    >> I couldn't see my model of burner at their recommended DVD site either.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some slight on this mysterious
    >> new medium for me.

    >If you have a dual layer burner and you do you can use DVD 5 or DVD 9
    >blanks, I used DVD 5 as it is more economic than dual layer media.
    >I get my blanks from http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?page=18&s=DVD Media
    >and have found the Laser brand good in the 4.7 Gb -R type.
    >I use -R as it is for me the most compatible with stand alone DVD players.

    -R is only slightly better in compatability with standard DVD movies players
    than +R. I've tried some +RW discs in quite a few different brands of player
    and haven't struck one that doesn't play them yet.

    +R is a bit better when it comes to error correction, so if it's for data then
    i'd say go for +R.

    Duel layer has two recording layers on the disc, and holds more. Unfortunatly
    there are a lot of compatability issues with normal DVD players, and the blank
    discs are really expensive. At this stage unless you really need the extra
    space you can just compress your video down more to fit on a single layer disc,
    or split data across more than one disc.

    Craig Shore, Mar 9, 2005
  6. Hi Craig, thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated.

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Mar 9, 2005
  7. Mrs Beeble Brock

    S Roby Guest

    >. I've tried some +RW discs in quite a few different brands of player
    >and haven't struck one that doesn't play them yet.

    Theres allways an exception
    Just my luck my recorder is +R,+RW & my
    Panasonic DVD-S75 wont play +R & has problems with +RW
    Its not hard to find a player that will play ANY disk however.

    S Roby, Mar 10, 2005