    what to change the resolution. Any way that I can keep it at the
    present resolution, but my digital pictures not been distorted (aspect
    ratio). thanks.

    lbbss, Sep 8, 2008

  2. lbbss <> wrote:
    >I bought an LCD screen, but all my pictures are distorted. Sure I
    >can switch to a different resolution, but I don't want to do that for
    >a few reasons. Every LCD has a natural resolution at which the
    >picture works best.

    You may want to double check. If you are running your LCD at its native
    resolution, then the display should _NOT_ be distorted.
    Distorted displays (no matter if text, pictures, ...) happens normally
    only, if the graphics card produces one aspect ratio and the monitor has
    a different native aspect ratio and therefore is forced to emulate a
    non-native resolution.

    >Any way that I can keep it at the
    >present resolution, but my digital pictures not been distorted (aspect
    >ratio).

    Some monitors can be switched into a letter box mode, where lower than
    native resolutions will be displayed in smaller area of the screen
    rather than stretched to fit the whole display area.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Sep 8, 2008

  3. lbbss

    ray Guest

    On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 19:38:28 -0700, lbbss wrote:

    > I bought an LCD screen, but all my pictures are distorted. Sure I can
    > switch to a different resolution, but I don't want to do that for a few
    > reasons. Every LCD has a natural resolution at which the picture works
    > best. If you change that the text and images don't look as sharp.
    > Also, I like the icons at a certain size, so I don't what to change the
    > resolution. Any way that I can keep it at the present resolution, but
    > my digital pictures not been distorted (aspect ratio). thanks.

    You could get a decent application to view them. I have no problem at all
    using gwenview on a wide screen LCD.

    ray, Sep 8, 2008
  4. lbbss

    Guest

    On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 19:38:28 -0700 (PDT), in rec.photo.digital lbbss
    <> wrote:

    >I bought an LCD screen, but all my pictures are distorted. Sure I
    >can switch to a different resolution, but I don't want to do that for
    >a few reasons. Every LCD has a natural resolution at which the
    >picture works best. If you change that the text and images don't
    >look as sharp. Also, I like the icons at a certain size, so I don't
    >what to change the resolution. Any way that I can keep it at the
    >present resolution, but my digital pictures not been distorted (aspect
    >ratio). thanks.

    Since you are posting through Windoze, I'll assume that's the OS of
    the machine in question. Set your graphics card to the native
    resolution of the monitor. You can possibly change the DPI setting in
    the Settings tab of the Display properties, click on the Advanced box.
    Otherwise, under the Appearance tab, you can change sizes for
    everything by again clicking the Advanced box. Finally, get the M$
    ClearType Tuner PowerToy:

    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypePowerToy.mspx

    , Sep 8, 2008
  5. Jürgen Exner <> wrote:
    >lbbss <> wrote:
    >>I bought an LCD screen, but all my pictures are distorted. Sure I
    >>can switch to a different resolution, but I don't want to do that for
    >>a few reasons. Every LCD has a natural resolution at which the
    >>picture works best.

    >You may want to double check. If you are running your LCD at its native
    >resolution, then the display should _NOT_ be distorted.
    >Distorted displays (no matter if text, pictures, ...) happens normally
    >only, if the graphics card produces one aspect ratio and the monitor has
    >a different native aspect ratio and therefore is forced to emulate a
    >non-native resolution.
    >
    >>Any way that I can keep it at the
    >>present resolution, but my digital pictures not been distorted (aspect
    >>ratio).

    PS: Which monitor (manufacturer + model) are we talking about and which
    resolution ( x by y) are you using now?

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Sep 8, 2008
  6. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. Sorry, I posted
    natural resolution, I meant native resolution. I have an Acer lcd
    x193w b model. the native resolution is 1680x1050, at which the
    icons are too small. So like you posted, I fixed that by going to
    the advance button, and changed the dpi setting. I guess that is
    one thing I like about the CRT monitors, they don't have this
    resolution issue. Even with this fix, something about the picture
    does not look right, even though the founts look crisp now.

    lbbss, Sep 9, 2008
  7. lbbss <> wrote:
    >Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

    What is "that"? It is customary to quote enough content, so that your
    comments can be understood in context.

    > I have an Acer lcd
    >x193w b model. the native resolution is 1680x1050, at which the
    >icons are too small. So like you posted, I fixed that by going to
    >the advance button, and changed the dpi setting.

    If only the size of the icons bothered you, then opening the
    "Appearance" tab, going to "Advanced", and increasing the size of the
    "Icon" item would have been a better option.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Sep 9, 2008
  8. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    On Sep 9, 12:26 am, Jürgen Exner <> wrote:
    > lbbss<> wrote:
    > >Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

    > What is "that"? It is customary to quote enough content, so that your
    > comments can be understood in context.
    >
    > > I have an Acer lcd
    > >x193w b model. the native resolution is 1680x1050, at which the
    > >icons are too small. So like you posted, I fixed that by going to
    > >the advance button, and changed the dpi setting.

    > If only the size of the icons bothered you, then opening the
    > "Appearance" tab, going to "Advanced", and increasing the size of the
    > "Icon" item would have been a better option.

    Is that not what I said, going to the advanced button? Mine does not
    mention icons, but dpi setting.
    that is the advice that I followed and it more or less does the trick.

    lbbss, Sep 9, 2008