Bought Canon A70 today

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Seaman, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. David Seaman

    David Seaman Guest

    After selling my Olympus C-2100, I decided I would look around for a
    smaller and lighter digicam with more megapixels (the C-2100, although
    an amazing zoom digicam, only had 2MP). I was pretty set on the Sony
    DSC-P72, especially considering I have memory sticks at home already,
    but the salesman at Circuit City convinced me to look at the Canon
    A70. He said it was the best 3MP value ($299) with enough manual
    controls to satisfy an intermediate user.

    So far, I'm pretty impressed with it. Decent quality shots, good grip
    and buttons, etc. The images aren't *fantastic*, I imagine the lens
    isn't the best out there, but the images are what one would expect
    from a mid-range 3.2 megapixel.

    I am wondering about the body material... Canon's site says it is, in
    fact, metal. It looks kinda like the "Cerabrite" material that the
    Canon S400 Digital Elph is constructed out of, am I correct in
    assuming it's the same material? Also, if anyone else owns this camera
    and has some useful tips, please post them for me.

    Thanks,

    David, Co-Founder
    http://www.shutterline.com
    Photo Contests | Critique forums | more...
    David Seaman, Jul 11, 2003

  2. David Seaman

    Zol. Guest

    Hi, congratualtions on your purchase, a few things to recommend for you -
    get yourself some 2000mAh NiMh rechargeable batteries, a good steady tripod
    and you may want to purchase the Lens Adapter which will enable you to use
    52mm thread lenses & filters (although these block the viewfinder & flash!).
    steady hands make a big difference with this camera (not too sure why it is
    quite uncomprimising compared with other cameras - might just be me and the
    shutter button). The differnt modes are very good and night time long
    exposures work very well ... I have a range of different shots in my gallery
    (see below)

    Hope that gives you some useful info, regards ... Zol.

    --

    "May you find what you are looking for in the Window at the heart of the
    machine"

    Canon Photo Gallery - http://www.byphotos.com/

    Zolitare`AT`Blueyonder.co.uk / TheOne`AT`Blueyonder.co.uk

    Free Anti-Virus Software ... http://www.grisoft.com
    Free Firewall Software ...... http://www.sygate.com/swat/default.htm
    Free Spyware Removal .... http://security.kolla.de/

    Test your Firewall ............ http://scan.sygatetech.com/

    Zol., Jul 11, 2003

  3. David Seaman

    Matt Guest

    > He said it was the best 3MP value ($299) with enough manual
    > controls to satisfy an intermediate user.

    Thats pretty much the concensus with the A70. It's a good camera for the
    money. Don't expect anything more. As far as image quality is concerned in a
    3MP camera - there are better ones.

    > So far, I'm pretty impressed with it. Decent quality shots, good grip
    > and buttons, etc. The images aren't *fantastic*, I imagine the lens
    > isn't the best out there, but the images are what one would expect
    > from a mid-range 3.2 megapixel.

    Exactly right. Don't expect G5 quality shot with this camera. However the
    lens is better than average. Lenses in digital cameras need to be perfectly
    made as digital cameras are less forgiving than analog.

    > I am wondering about the body material... Canon's site says it is, in
    > fact, metal. It looks kinda like the "Cerabrite" material that the
    > Canon S400 Digital Elph is constructed out of, am I correct in
    > assuming it's the same material? Also, if anyone else owns this camera
    > and has some useful tips, please post them for me.

    It's metal alright. Just the front is. It's aluminum if I am not mistaken.
    The rest is high-impact ABS plastic with metallic paint.

    Matt, Jul 11, 2003
  4. David Seaman

    Mike Frisch Guest

    In article <pJGPa.37736$ye4.29093@sccrnsc01>, Matt wrote:
    > Thats pretty much the concensus with the A70. It's a good camera for
    > the money. Don't expect anything more. As far as image quality is
    > concerned in a 3MP camera - there are better ones.

    But is there a better camera in the same price range? I currently have
    a Sony DSC-P50 (2.1MP) and am looking for a low cost upgrade. I figured
    the A70 would be a noticeable improvement.

    > Exactly right. Don't expect G5 quality shot with this camera.

    You mean to say that the A70 doesn't have the purple fringing problem?
    :)

    Mike.
    Mike Frisch, Jul 12, 2003
  5. David Seaman

    Matt Guest

    "Mike Frisch" <> wrote in message
    > In article <pJGPa.37736$ye4.29093@sccrnsc01>, Matt wrote:
    > > Thats pretty much the concensus with the A70. It's a good camera for
    > > the money. Don't expect anything more. As far as image quality is
    > > concerned in a 3MP camera - there are better ones.

    > But is there a better camera in the same price range? I currently have
    > a Sony DSC-P50 (2.1MP) and am looking for a low cost upgrade. I figured
    > the A70 would be a noticeable improvement.

    Thats what I meant. Sorry if I did not clarify. I have an A70. Works great
    for what I need. I will be upgrading to a G5 later next year though. My
    digital camera experience has gone far and beyond and I need quality
    telephoto lenses and superior picture resolution which the A70 cannot
    provide. Of course I will be paying for more. That was the whole jist of my
    original reply. You get what you pay for.

    Matt
    Matt, Jul 12, 2003
  6. David Seaman

    Matt Guest

    "colinco" <> wrote in message
    > In article <pJGPa.37736$ye4.29093@sccrnsc01>, Matt wrote...
    > > Thats pretty much the concensus with the A70. It's a good camera for the
    > > money. Don't expect anything more. As far as image quality is concerned

    in a
    > > 3MP camera - there are better ones.
    > >

    > Which in your opinion are?

    Canon G1 for instance.
    Matt, Jul 12, 2003
  7. David Seaman

    David Seaman Guest

    > Hi, congratualtions on your purchase, a few things to recommend for you -
    > get yourself some 2000mAh NiMh rechargeable batteries, a good steady tripod
    > and you may want to purchase the Lens Adapter which will enable you to use
    > 52mm thread lenses & filters (although these block the viewfinder & flash!).
    > steady hands make a big difference with this camera (not too sure why it is
    > quite uncomprimising compared with other cameras - might just be me and the
    > shutter button). The differnt modes are very good and night time long
    > exposures work very well ... I have a range of different shots in my gallery
    > (see below)
    >
    > Hope that gives you some useful info, regards ... Zol.

    I noticed that with the camera when I took it outside today for some
    initial shots... If my hand isn't absolutely steady, some of the
    images come out quite blurred. Now, this was in auto mode, so I was a
    bit surprised. Maybe I had extended the zoom all the way, but still,
    it's only 3x. Heavy shake is something I would expect from a 10x
    optical zoom digital camera, not a 3x.

    Regardless, I'm pretty happy with my new camera. The grip is really
    nice and the images look great on my big flatscreen LCD monitor. A
    massive improvement over my old 2MP camera, which was probably 1.9MP
    effective or something like that.

    I tried checking out your Canon Powershot photo album, but the site
    didn't load. Maybe it's too popular to handle the server load ;)
    I'll try it again tomorrow, see if it works then.

    Thanks,

    David, Co-Founder
    http://www.shutterline.com
    Photo Contests | Photo Critique Forums | more...
    David Seaman, Jul 12, 2003
  8. David Seaman

    Mike Frisch Guest

    In article <GOIPa.38100$Ph3.3226@sccrnsc04>, Matt wrote:
    > Thats what I meant. Sorry if I did not clarify. I have an A70. Works great
    > for what I need. I will be upgrading to a G5 later next year though.

    I would buy a G5 right now if it weren't for the reports of purple
    fringing.

    > My digital camera experience has gone far and beyond and I need
    > quality telephoto lenses and superior picture resolution which the A70
    > cannot provide. Of course I will be paying for more. That was the
    > whole jist of my original reply. You get what you pay for.

    Definitely.
    Mike Frisch, Jul 12, 2003
  9. David Seaman

    Mike Frisch Guest

    In article <A2JPa.38689$H17.10903@sccrnsc02>, Matt wrote:

    > "colinco" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <pJGPa.37736$ye4.29093@sccrnsc01>, Matt wrote...
    >> > Thats pretty much the concensus with the A70. It's a good camera for the
    >> > money. Don't expect anything more. As far as image quality is concerned

    > in a
    >> > 3MP camera - there are better ones.
    >> >

    >> Which in your opinion are?

    > Canon G1 for instance.

    Perhaps a stupid question, but what about a G3? I would rather not
    spend the money right now on "old" (ha!) technology like the G1.
    Mike Frisch, Jul 12, 2003
  10. David Seaman

    Zol. Guest

    > > Hi, congratualtions on your purchase, a few things to recommend for

    you -
    > > get yourself some 2000mAh NiMh rechargeable batteries, a good steady

    tripod
    > > and you may want to purchase the Lens Adapter which will enable you to

    use
    > > 52mm thread lenses & filters (although these block the viewfinder &

    flash!).
    > > steady hands make a big difference with this camera (not too sure why it

    is
    > > quite uncomprimising compared with other cameras - might just be me and

    the
    > > shutter button). The differnt modes are very good and night time long
    > > exposures work very well ... I have a range of different shots in my

    gallery
    > > (see below)
    > >
    > > Hope that gives you some useful info, regards ... Zol.

    > I noticed that with the camera when I took it outside today for some
    > initial shots... If my hand isn't absolutely steady, some of the
    > images come out quite blurred. Now, this was in auto mode, so I was a
    > bit surprised. Maybe I had extended the zoom all the way, but still,
    > it's only 3x. Heavy shake is something I would expect from a 10x
    > optical zoom digital camera, not a 3x.
    >
    > Regardless, I'm pretty happy with my new camera. The grip is really
    > nice and the images look great on my big flatscreen LCD monitor. A
    > massive improvement over my old 2MP camera, which was probably 1.9MP
    > effective or something like that.
    >
    > I tried checking out your Canon Powershot photo album, but the site
    > didn't load. Maybe it's too popular to handle the server load ;)
    > I'll try it again tomorrow, see if it works then.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > David, Co-Founder
    > http://www.shutterline.com
    > Photo Contests | Photo Critique Forums | more...

    Thanks, the other thing I forgot to mention is to use the 2 second timer
    when doing low light/slow shutter shots - so that you can hold the camera
    still after you press the shutter button - it does help a bit if you don`t
    have a tripod to use this method as pressing the shutter button can cause
    wobble ... Zol.

    p.s. http://www.byphotos.com/ should work -
    might have been myself uploading a few `Nature` shots at that time. (Z)

    Zol., Jul 12, 2003
  11. David Seaman

    Ronald Hands Guest

    David Seaman wrote:

    > So far, I'm pretty impressed with it. Decent quality shots, good grip
    > and buttons, etc. The images aren't *fantastic*, I imagine the lens
    > isn't the best out there, but the images are what one would expect
    > from a mid-range 3.2 megapixel.

    I wouldn't pre-judge the lens quality until you've done some
    sharpening in something like Photoshop Elements or Irfanview.

    My A40, which I think has the same lens, produces crisper prints
    (after sharpening) than I've ever had from my 35 mm gear.

    I've read on this n.g. that all digital photos benefit from
    sharpening -- but some cameras need it more than others. Canon is noted
    for doing little in the way of in-camera sharpening.

    -- Ron
    Ronald Hands, Jul 13, 2003
  12. David Seaman

    David Seaman Guest

    Ron,

    Thanks for the advice. I'll give that a try next time in Photoshop.

    David, Co-Founder
    http://www.shutterline.com

    David Seaman, Jul 14, 2003
  13. David Seaman

    AndyL Guest

    David Seaman wrote:
    > Also, if anyone else owns this camera
    > and has some useful tips, please post them for me.

    If you haven't already, you might want to check out the Powershot A-series
    forums at http://forums.powershot-a.com/.

    ....Andy
    AndyL, Jul 15, 2003
  14. David Seaman

    Matt Guest

    I have a Canon A70 also. I guess you can say this is my first digital
    camera. When I bought the camera I knew basically nothing about them, and
    the sales person steered me to the A70. Now that I am in the field using it
    I am beginning to realize my needs from a digital camera. The 3X optical
    zoom is not near enough. I need like at least 10X. I know canon offers a
    conversion lens adapter (LA-DC52C) and a tele conversion lens (TC-DC52) for
    the A70. Now for my question(s). If I purchased the adapter and lens would
    I be anywhere in the 10X optical zoom range? If not, is the lens offered by
    canon the only one I can use on that adapter, or could I put other zoom lens
    on?

    Matt, Jul 20, 2003
  15. David Seaman

    Zol. Guest

    Hi, The Adapter allows for any lens or filter with a 52mm thread to be
    attached to your camera - but having said that I have the adapter and the
    2.4x convertor lens (Canon) and find it to be quite adequete - I don`t know
    whether this means it`s a total optical zoom of 7.2x & combined
    (digital+optical) zoom of 23.04x(?) I don`t use digital zoom if I can help
    it ... Zol.

    p.s. If you would like to see an optically zoomed shot of the moon with the
    A70 it can be found here -
    http://www.byphotos.com/album/album_photo.html?c_photo=3741858
    if you would like to see the full sized image please email me (see signature
    below) or via the BYPhoto site (Z)

    Zol., Jul 20, 2003