    T.N.O. Guest

    I know that the *correct* way to reply to nntp posts is bottom posting(heh
    sounds painfull), but what is the standard for email?

    T.N.O., Sep 10, 2003

  2. T.N.O.

    KS Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > I know that the *correct* way to reply to nntp posts is bottom
    > posting(heh sounds painfull), but what is the standard for email?

    Who says it's correct ? Who says what is correct for email ? It's individual
    taste. But rules to go by ? Bah.

    On the scale of things that are important in life's existence, is it really
    that important ?

    KS, Sep 10, 2003

  3. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    "KS" wrote
    > Who says it's correct ? Who says what is correct for email ? It's

    individual
    > taste. But rules to go by ? Bah.

    RFCs say it is correct to bottom post in usenet, I believe.

    > On the scale of things that are important in life's existence, is it

    really
    > that important ?

    no, but it is nice to be correct.

    T.N.O., Sep 10, 2003
  4. T.N.O.

    Rider Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in message
    > I've always thought email was top post. Thats what I do and everyone that
    > responds to my emails does the same.
    >

    > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > > I know that the *correct* way to reply to nntp posts is bottom

    posting(heh
    > > sounds painfull), but what is the standard for email?

    And I just top posted in usenet by mistake LOL

    Rider, Sep 11, 2003
  5. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    "m00se" wrote
    > > but what is the standard for email?
    > >

    > http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html
    > Is a good place to start.

    thanks, although it was interesting reading, it was as useless as asking
    Paul for some money...

    got any other RFC's for me to read today teacher? :)

    T.N.O., Sep 11, 2003
  6. T.N.O.

    m00se Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:
    > "m00se" wrote
    >
    > thanks, although it was interesting reading, it was as useless as asking
    > Paul for some money...
    >
    > got any other RFC's for me to read today teacher? :)

    LOL no, that was simply googles first answer :p

    m00se, Sep 11, 2003
  7. T.N.O.

    steve Guest

    T.N.O. allegedly said:

    > I know that the *correct* way to reply to nntp posts is bottom posting(heh
    > sounds painfull), but what is the standard for email?

    Depends.

    News postings are about discussion.

    Work e-mail is more often an audit trail of a stream of comunication.

    They server different purposes. For this reason:

    I bottom-post in newsgroups...to enable easy understanding of the points
    being made.

    I top-post in e-mail to add my comments - in their entirety - to those which
    have gone before.

    steve, Sep 11, 2003
  8. T.N.O.

    steve Guest

    steve allegedly said:

    > I top-post in e-mail to add my comments - in their entirety - to those
    > which have gone before.

    ....unless the e-mail requires a detailed response more in line with a
    discussion.....in which case I bottom post.

    steve, Sep 11, 2003
  9. In article <0HQ7b.496$>, steve <> wrote:
    >steve allegedly said:
    >
    >> I top-post in e-mail to add my comments - in their entirety - to those
    >> which have gone before.

    >....unless the e-mail requires a detailed response more in line with a
    >discussion.....in which case I bottom post.

    ... don't you mean "interleaf post" ? ... only sane way to deal with detail by
    detail comment :)

    Bruce

    Oook !
    NOTE remove the not_ from the address to reply. NO SPAM !

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 11, 2003
  10. T.N.O.

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > I know that the *correct* way to reply to nntp posts is bottom posting(heh
    > sounds painfull), but what is the standard for email?

    Since emails are one on one, and when you reply to something that you've
    obviously read first. Then you and the other party already know what the
    original message said. That's why I think it's better to top post for one
    to one emails.

    Because people don't always know what people are replying to the newsgroups,
    that's why it's better to bottom post for people to follow what's going on
    instead of having to dart all over the place in a post that could well have
    over 6 replies in it. Which is a lot better if all 6 replies are one under
    each other instead of all over the place when someone adds a top post to a
    thread.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 11, 2003
  11. T.N.O.

    Worm Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > I know that the *correct* way to reply to nntp posts is bottom posting(heh
    > sounds painfull), but what is the standard for email?

    As someone else has said, surely you have better things to be worried about,
    or reading up on.

    You can't do sweet f*ck (****) all if someone top posts in a NG or email.
    There might be guidelines, but who follows all of lifes little rules?
    Boring!

    Worm

    Worm, Sep 11, 2003
  12. T.N.O.

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:58:32 +1200, steve wrote:

    > I top-post in e-mail to add my comments - in their entirety - to those which
    > have gone before.

    Then why do you not bottom post?

    See why bottom posting is a good idea? Time, come here you have some
    giving to do. :)

    --
    Gordon

    Google knows where to find things, ask at http://www.google.com
    Works for me, will work for you, so be it.

    Gordon, Sep 11, 2003
  13. T.N.O.

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:02:51 +1200, E. Scrooge wrote:

    > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    >> I know that the *correct* way to reply to nntp posts is bottom posting(heh
    >> sounds painfull), but what is the standard for email?

    > Since emails are one on one, and when you reply to something that you've
    > obviously read first. Then you and the other party already know what the
    > original message said. That's why I think it's better to top post for one
    > to one emails.

    Why bother. Delete the whole orginal message and start afresh.

    The point of quoting is to remind the person/reader what they said, ie
    what the subject is.

    Gordon, Sep 11, 2003
  14. T.N.O.

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:02:51 +1200, E. Scrooge wrote:
    >

    > > "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > >> I know that the *correct* way to reply to nntp posts is bottom

    posting(heh
    > >> sounds painfull), but what is the standard for email?

    > > Since emails are one on one, and when you reply to something that you've
    > > obviously read first. Then you and the other party already know what

    the
    > > original message said. That's why I think it's better to top post for

    one
    > > to one emails.

    > Why bother. Delete the whole orginal message and start afresh.
    >
    > The point of quoting is to remind the person/reader what they said, ie
    > what the subject is.
    >
    > --
    > Gordon

    huh?
    Is there only the 2 of us in this group?

    Leaving some message intact helps the poor sod that has a look in a few days
    time.
    I don't bother reading every damn post, that nonsense is best left to the
    geeks that have nothing better to do.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 11, 2003
  15. T.N.O.

    Rob King Guest

    "KS" <> wrote in message
    > T.N.O. wrote:
    > > I know that the *correct* way to reply to nntp posts is bottom
    > > posting(heh sounds painfull), but what is the standard for email?

    > Who says it's correct ? Who says what is correct for email ? It's

    individual
    > taste. But rules to go by ? Bah.
    >
    > On the scale of things that are important in life's existence, is it

    really
    > that important ?

    His hierarchy of needs must be well and truly full :)

    Rob King, Sep 11, 2003
  16. T.N.O.

    bambam Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in news::

    > Saw a post on a forum with the signature as follows...
    >
    > "Just $1 a day to save a little starving african kid... or $2 a
    > day for Jetstart... the choice is yours."

    Slight change, but Ive pinched it anyway. :)

    --
    Just $1 a day to save a little starving african kid... or $2 a day for
    broadband... the choice is yours.

    bambam, Sep 11, 2003
  17. T.N.O.

    steve Guest

    Gordon allegedly said:

    > On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:58:32 +1200, steve wrote:
    >
    >> I top-post in e-mail to add my comments - in their entirety - to those
    >> which have gone before.

    > Then why do you not bottom post?

    I do in personal e-mail.

    In work e-mail I top-post becasue work communication is more like an
    archeological dig - you go down through the stack to go back in time.

    > See why bottom posting is a good idea? Time, come here you have some
    > giving to do. :)

    I think it should be called 'relevance posting' because all we are doing is
    posting with our additions placed immediately after the relevant comment
    from the prior post. :)

    Therefore top-posting is irrelevant posting. :)

    steve, Sep 11, 2003
  18. On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 09:55:55 +1200, T.N.O. wrote:

    > I know that the *correct* way to reply to nntp posts is bottom posting(heh
    > sounds painfull), but what is the standard for email?

    A: Because people read from top to bottom

    Q: Why is top posting bad?

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 11, 2003
  19. On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:24:24 +1200, Worm wrote:

    > You can't do sweet f*ck (****) all if someone top posts in a NG or email.

    That's what killfiles are for.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 11, 2003
  20. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Uncle StoatWarbler" wrote
    > A: Because people read from top to bottom
    >
    > Q: Why is top posting bad?

    I had to read that three times before I got it in the correct order...
    weird.

    T.N.O., Sep 11, 2003