    AOL artifact or is it introduced by my use of OE6.0?
    BTW OS is 98SE.
    Charlie

    Charlie Bress, Aug 5, 2003

  2. Charlie Bress

    Trev Guest

    "Charlie Bress" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > There is a recommended protocol to bottom post a reply to a newsgroup.

    sniped

    I think that it more a case of HTML mail being received

    Trev, Aug 5, 2003

  3. Charlie Bress

    DC Guest

    Trev wrote:

    > "Charlie Bress" <> wrote in message
    >> There is a recommended protocol to bottom post a reply to a newsgroup.
    >>

    > sniped
    >
    > I think that it more a case of HTML mail being received

    I agree. I don't know a schmick about OE, so maybe you can tell the OP how
    to select to view only in plain text (if it is even possible in OE).

    --
    DC

    Like my grandaddy used to say...
    "It's better to have one hand in the bush than two birds in the hand."

    DC, Aug 5, 2003
  4. Charlie Bress

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Charlie Bress said:

    > There is a recommended protocol to bottom post a reply to a newsgroup.
    >
    > I would also like to do this when replying to email. The problem is, that
    > when the originator is on AOL, when I try to reply I get stuck with the bar
    > on the left margin of the original note in the reply post.
    > Let me explain further. The usual indication of the original message in
    > posts is the">" character. This does not create a problem. I can simply
    > cursor down below the original and type away. I can even intersperse my
    > comments with the appropriate sections of the original.
    > But, if the original note came from an AOL user, instead of the indicator
    > being a ">" it is a solid vertical bar extending along the left side of all
    > of the original note. Although I can delete portions of the original note, I
    > cannot get below the note without that damn bar extending down and making it
    > look as if what I am typing is part of the original note.
    >
    > How can I get rid of that vertical bar or at least get past it? Is this an
    > AOL artifact or is it introduced by my use of OE6.0?
    > BTW OS is 98SE.
    > Charlie

    Tools | Options | Read | read all messages in plain text.

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/

    Brian H¹©, Aug 5, 2003
  5. "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > Charlie Bress said:
    >> > How can I get rid of that vertical bar or at least get past it? Is

    this an
    > > AOL artifact or is it introduced by my use of OE6.0?
    > > BTW OS is 98SE.
    > > Charlie

    > Tools | Options | Read | read all messages in plain text.

    Good try, no cigar.
    This problem only shows up when trying to reply.
    There is no problem with the original email, HTML or not.

    Charlie Bress, Aug 5, 2003
  6. Charlie Bress

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Charlie Bress said:

    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message

    > this an
    >>> AOL artifact or is it introduced by my use of OE6.0?
    >>> BTW OS is 98SE.
    >>> Charlie

    >> Tools | Options | Read | read all messages in plain text.
    >>

    > Good try, no cigar.
    > This problem only shows up when trying to reply.
    > There is no problem with the original email, HTML or not.

    OK, then go to the Send tab and change mail format to plain text.

    Brian H¹©, Aug 5, 2003
  7. Charlie Bress

    Patrick Guest

    Charlie Bress wrote:
    > There is a recommended protocol to bottom post a reply to a newsgroup.
    >
    > I would also like to do this when replying to email. The problem is,
    > that when the originator is on AOL, when I try to reply I get stuck
    > with the bar on the left margin of the original note in the reply
    > post.
    > Let me explain further. The usual indication of the original message
    > in posts is the">" character. This does not create a problem. I can
    > simply cursor down below the original and type away. I can even
    > intersperse my comments with the appropriate sections of the original.
    > But, if the original note came from an AOL user, instead of the
    > indicator being a ">" it is a solid vertical bar extending along the
    > left side of all of the original note. Although I can delete portions
    > of the original note, I cannot get below the note without that damn
    > bar extending down and making it look as if what I am typing is part
    > of the original note.
    >
    > How can I get rid of that vertical bar or at least get past it? Is
    > this an AOL artifact or is it introduced by my use of OE6.0?
    > BTW OS is 98SE.
    > Charlie

    Open the e-mail to reply, goto Format menu, I believe you'll see HLML
    selected thiere, select 'Plain text and all the mumbo-jumbo will dissappear,
    you will be given a warning that you may lose formating (of old text), just
    OK it.

    Patrick, Aug 5, 2003
  8. Charlie Bress

    SgtMinor Guest

    Why the need to bottom post in an email? Do you expect that the sender
    of the message you are replying to will have forgotten what he wrote?

    SgtMinor, Aug 5, 2003
  9. SgtMinor wrote:

    > Charlie Bress wrote:

    >> There is a recommended protocol to bottom post a reply to a newsgroup.
    >>
    >> I would also like to do this when replying to email. The problem is, that

    <snip>

    > Why the need to bottom post in an email? Do you expect that the sender
    > of the message you are replying to will have forgotten what he wrote?

    Probably to retain the logical flow of the series of communications.

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 297263
    Spam: The Boulder Pledge http://snurl.com/bpledge

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 5, 2003
  10. Charlie Bress

    Patrick Guest

    SgtMinor wrote:
    > Why the need to bottom post in an email? Do you expect that the
    > sender
    > of the message you are replying to will have forgotten what he wrote?

    Problem two is that you can't interject (insert) anything into the body of
    original text.

    Patrick, Aug 5, 2003
  11. Charlie Bress

    Patrick Guest

    Patrick wrote:
    > Charlie Bress wrote:
    >> There is a recommended protocol to bottom post a reply to a
    >> newsgroup.
    >>
    >> I would also like to do this when replying to email. The problem is,
    >> that when the originator is on AOL, when I try to reply I get stuck
    >> with the bar on the left margin of the original note in the reply
    >> post.
    >> Let me explain further. The usual indication of the original message
    >> in posts is the">" character. This does not create a problem. I can
    >> simply cursor down below the original and type away. I can even
    >> intersperse my comments with the appropriate sections of the
    >> original. But, if the original note came from an AOL user, instead
    >> of the indicator being a ">" it is a solid vertical bar extending
    >> along the
    >> left side of all of the original note. Although I can delete portions
    >> of the original note, I cannot get below the note without that damn
    >> bar extending down and making it look as if what I am typing is part
    >> of the original note.
    >>
    >> How can I get rid of that vertical bar or at least get past it? Is
    >> this an AOL artifact or is it introduced by my use of OE6.0?
    >> BTW OS is 98SE.
    >> Charlie

    > Open the e-mail to reply, goto Format menu, I believe you'll see HLML
    > selected thiere, select 'Plain text and all the mumbo-jumbo will
    > dissappear, you will be given a warning that you may lose formating
    > (of old text), just OK it.

    PS I just done a test and found that OE (default to RTF) does the same
    thing,

    Patrick, Aug 5, 2003
  12. Charlie Bress

    Brian H¹© Guest

    bb3 said:

    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >> SgtMinor said:
    >>
    >>> Why the need to bottom post in an email? Do you expect that the sender
    >>> of the message you are replying to will have forgotten what he wrote?

    >> When you write something on a piece of paper, and decide to add something a
    >> bit later, do you write above what you have written because you don't need
    >> to read what you have already written, or do you write underneath to keep
    >> the flow of the subject?

    > Not to mention the fact that, IIRC, some news readers snip the sigs (and
    > everything else) at the end, so if you top post and insert a sig, the whole
    > thing gets snipped.

    Now you posting at the very bottom of the post is even worse.
    This post has the beginning in the middle, the second section at the top, and
    now the third section at the bottom.
    I bet someone will now top post and really **** it up.

    Brian H¹©, Aug 5, 2003
  13. Charlie Bress

    Brian H¹© Guest

    trout said:

    > Yes.
    >
    > Brian H¹© wrote:

    >> bb3 said:
    >>
    >>> "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message

    >>> Not to mention the fact that, IIRC, some news readers snip the sigs
    >>> (and everything else) at the end, so if you top post and insert a
    >>> sig, the whole thing gets snipped.

    >> Now you posting at the very bottom of the post is even worse.
    >> This post has the beginning in the middle, the second section at the
    >> top, and now the third section at the bottom.
    >> I bet someone will now top post and really **** it up.

    :p

    Brian H¹©, Aug 5, 2003
  14. Charlie Bress

    SgtMinor Guest

    If, in conversation, I ask you a question, do you repeat that question
    verbatim before giving me an answer?

    SgtMinor, Aug 5, 2003
  15. Charlie Bress

    SgtMinor Guest

    Who needs a sig?

    SgtMinor, Aug 5, 2003
  16. Charlie Bress

    Brian H¹© Guest

    SgtMinor said:

    > If, in conversation, I ask you a question, do you repeat that question
    > verbatim before giving me an answer?

    No, but have you noticed that people do tend to place their comments below prior
    comments?

    Brian H¹©, Aug 5, 2003
  17. Charlie Bress

    SgtMinor Guest

    Some unofficial FAQs for AOL email:
    http://members.aol.com/adamkb/aol/mailfaq/

    Search for references to 'quote' and 'quoting.' The fix appears rather
    awkward.

    SgtMinor, Aug 5, 2003
  18. On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 19:45:41 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote
    > SgtMinor wrote:
    >> Charlie Bress wrote:

    >>> There is a recommended protocol to bottom post a reply to a
    >>> newsgroup.

    >>> I would also like to do this when replying to email. The problem
    >>> is, that

    ><snip>

    >> Why the need to bottom post in an email? Do you expect that the
    >> sender of the message you are replying to will have forgotten
    >> what he wrote?

    > Probably to retain the logical flow of the series of
    > communications.

    Possibly, but my impression is that e-mail and Usenet are sufficiently
    different creatures that they tend to attract different behaviour. (E-
    mail tends to be one-to-one, as opposed to the "one-to-whoever-might-
    read-the-thread" nature of Usenet.)

    Whatever; I'd be quite surprised to receive a response to one of my e-
    mails that bottom-posted after quoting my previous.

    --
    Cheers, Harvey

    Harvey Van Sickle, Aug 5, 2003
  19. Charlie Bress

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Harvey Van Sickle said:

    > On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 19:45:41 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote
    >> SgtMinor wrote:

    >> <snip>

    >>> Why the need to bottom post in an email? Do you expect that the
    >>> sender of the message you are replying to will have forgotten
    >>> what he wrote?

    >> Probably to retain the logical flow of the series of
    >> communications.

    > Possibly, but my impression is that e-mail and Usenet are sufficiently
    > different creatures that they tend to attract different behaviour. (E-
    > mail tends to be one-to-one, as opposed to the "one-to-whoever-might-
    > read-the-thread" nature of Usenet.)
    >
    > Whatever; I'd be quite surprised to receive a response to one of my e-
    > mails that bottom-posted after quoting my previous.

    A bit of common sense should be used.
    As you have replied below the previous comments, I replied below you, instead of
    top-posting, like some do.
    If you are familiar with my posting habits, you will notice that had you
    top-posted, I would still have replied below your comments instead of further
    top-posting, like some do.

    Brian H¹©, Aug 5, 2003
  20. Charlie Bress

    SgtMinor Guest

    "Brian H¹©" wrote:

    > SgtMinor said:
    >
    > > If, in conversation, I ask you a question, do you repeat that question
    > > verbatim before giving me an answer?

    > No, but have you noticed that people do tend to place their comments below prior
    > comments?

    Yup. And I've noticed too that George W. Bush once had a ninety percent
    approval rating. Go figure.

    <snip>

    SgtMinor, Aug 5, 2003