    This is with an 11-18 lens; I have a bunch of shots I'm going to stitch
    into pano, but I'm not thrilled with them.

    http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954360#128825724-L-LB
    Cynicor, Feb 11, 2007

  2. "Cynicor" <> wrote:

    >I was having problems with these shots today. The best place to get skyline
    >shots at at the Hyatt Harborside, but it was so windy that I couldn't get
    >my camera still.

    Hehe. Boston's a pain. I was there last June and got rained out except for 2
    days.

    What brought you to Boston? (I grew up near Charles St. station and went to
    college and grad school one stop away on the T.)

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Feb 11, 2007

  3. Cynicor <> writes:

    > I was having problems with these shots today. The best place to get skyline
    > shots at at the Hyatt Harborside, but it was so windy that I couldn't get my
    > camera still. (I brought the Benbo tripod, which I'm still new with.) Next time
    > I'll have to bring something more sturdy. This is with an 11-18 lens; I have a
    > bunch of shots I'm going to stitch into pano, but I'm not thrilled with them.
    >
    > http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954360#128825724-L-LB

    Nice shot. I tend to prefer a little east, down by Microcenter or at the boat
    docks, though parking can be a problem at the later. I saw the clouds as I was
    doing the circuit (Hunts & Microcenter to check on new toys), but I was a
    little late, and only had the monopod in the car, and not the tripod, and it
    was dark enough I would have needed the tripod.

    In terms of stablizing a tripod, adding weigth can help (assuming the tripod is
    rated to the hold the camera and additional weight). While they sell weight
    packs, often times the shoulder bag with the lens collection is heavy enough
    that when drapped over a tripod can stabalize it.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Feb 11, 2007
  4. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Cynicor" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I was having problems with these shots today. The best place to get skyline
    >> shots at at the Hyatt Harborside, but it was so windy that I couldn't get
    >> my camera still.

    > Hehe. Boston's a pain. I was there last June and got rained out except for 2
    > days.
    >
    > What brought you to Boston? (I grew up near Charles St. station and went to
    > college and grad school one stop away on the T.)

    I manage my son's hockey team and take him on trips all the time. So I
    set aside at least one weekend to go somewhere with just my daughter. We
    came up and went to the Bruins-Islanders game last night, and did some
    other stuff. She waited in the room as I went down to the path behind
    the hotel to take the pix.
    Cynicor, Feb 11, 2007
  5. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Cynicor wrote:
    > David J. Littleboy wrote:
    >> "Cynicor" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was having problems with these shots today. The best place to get
    >>> skyline shots at at the Hyatt Harborside, but it was so windy that I
    >>> couldn't get my camera still.

    >> Hehe. Boston's a pain. I was there last June and got rained out except
    >> for 2 days.
    >>
    >> What brought you to Boston? (I grew up near Charles St. station and
    >> went to college and grad school one stop away on the T.)

    > I manage my son's hockey team and take him on trips all the time. So I
    > set aside at least one weekend to go somewhere with just my daughter. We
    > came up and went to the Bruins-Islanders game last night, and did some
    > other stuff. She waited in the room as I went down to the path behind
    > the hotel to take the pix.

    Two more photos. They're both from the same angle, but the second one is
    from eight stories up. It completely changes the color of the water,
    blue to green.

    http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954360#129039622
    http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954360#129039722
    Cynicor, Feb 12, 2007