Borked PC

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Old Wolf, May 4, 2009.

  1. Old Wolf

    Old Wolf Guest

    My wife's PC is broken. I would like to see if there is any
    way to identify which component is faulty so I don't have to
    replace the whole lot!

    The symptom is that when it is turned on, the case
    power light and the green LED on the motherboard
    come on, the harddrive light flicks on and off briefly,
    and the CPU fan spins up, but after that there is
    nothing (no video signal and no beep and no
    keyboard lights).

    I have removed all peripherals and cards, it is just
    the motherboard, CPU, and USB keyboard, with
    the monitor plugged into the onboard graphics, but
    the symptom is the same.

    The beep speaker definitely works, so I don't know
    what to do from here. (I am used to motherboards
    emitting a code in beeps when something is
    seriously wrong, which I could then look up in the manual).

    If I remove the RAM then it beeps continuously
    (beeper always on) on startup (until switched off again).

    The motherboard is an Asus P5B VM DO and the
    CPU is a Pentium D. The power supply was replaced
    about 6 months ago. This system has always had a
    weird feature that when you first power it up, it starts
    up the lights and fans for about 5 seconds, then
    powers itself down, then powers itself up again about
    three seconds later and gets on with booting.
    (It is still doing that now; the symptom I described
    above occurs after the re-power-up).

    Old Wolf, May 4, 2009

  2. Old Wolf

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Old Wolf wrote:
    > My wife's PC is broken. I would like to see if there is any
    > way to identify which component is faulty so I don't have to
    > replace the whole lot!
    >
    > The symptom is that when it is turned on, the case
    > power light and the green LED on the motherboard
    > come on, the harddrive light flicks on and off briefly,
    > and the CPU fan spins up, but after that there is
    > nothing (no video signal and no beep and no
    > keyboard lights).
    >
    > I have removed all peripherals and cards, it is just
    > the motherboard, CPU, and USB keyboard, with
    > the monitor plugged into the onboard graphics, but
    > the symptom is the same.
    >
    > The beep speaker definitely works, so I don't know
    > what to do from here. (I am used to motherboards
    > emitting a code in beeps when something is
    > seriously wrong, which I could then look up in the manual).
    >
    > If I remove the RAM then it beeps continuously
    > (beeper always on) on startup (until switched off again).
    >
    > The motherboard is an Asus P5B VM DO and the
    > CPU is a Pentium D. The power supply was replaced
    > about 6 months ago. This system has always had a
    > weird feature that when you first power it up, it starts
    > up the lights and fans for about 5 seconds, then
    > powers itself down, then powers itself up again about
    > three seconds later and gets on with booting.
    > (It is still doing that now; the symptom I described
    > above occurs after the re-power-up).

    I agree with vitw on the information I have. Likely motherboard failure
    (although I'd try with another PSU next if possible). You can look closely
    at the capacitors to see if any are bulging, leaking or lifting off their
    bases. Capacitors are usually the first thing to go when it's motherboard
    and it's just happened in use (i.e. not after a hardware change).

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, May 4, 2009

  3. Old Wolf

    Enkidu Guest

    Old Wolf wrote:
    > My wife's PC is broken. I would like to see if there is any
    > way to identify which component is faulty so I don't have to
    > replace the whole lot!
    >
    > The symptom is that when it is turned on, the case
    > power light and the green LED on the motherboard
    > come on, the harddrive light flicks on and off briefly,
    > and the CPU fan spins up, but after that there is
    > nothing (no video signal and no beep and no
    > keyboard lights).
    >
    > I have removed all peripherals and cards, it is just
    > the motherboard, CPU, and USB keyboard, with
    > the monitor plugged into the onboard graphics, but
    > the symptom is the same.
    >
    > The beep speaker definitely works, so I don't know
    > what to do from here. (I am used to motherboards
    > emitting a code in beeps when something is
    > seriously wrong, which I could then look up in the manual).
    >
    > If I remove the RAM then it beeps continuously
    > (beeper always on) on startup (until switched off again).
    >
    > The motherboard is an Asus P5B VM DO and the
    > CPU is a Pentium D. The power supply was replaced
    > about 6 months ago. This system has always had a
    > weird feature that when you first power it up, it starts
    > up the lights and fans for about 5 seconds, then
    > powers itself down, then powers itself up again about
    > three seconds later and gets on with booting.
    > (It is still doing that now; the symptom I described
    > above occurs after the re-power-up).

    If you can borrow a video card you might try that.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 4, 2009
  4. Old Wolf

    bardeban Guest

    "Old Wolf" <> wrote in message
    > My wife's PC is broken. I would like to see if there is any
    > way to identify which component is faulty so I don't have to
    > replace the whole lot!
    >
    > The symptom is that when it is turned on, the case
    > power light and the green LED on the motherboard
    > come on, the harddrive light flicks on and off briefly,
    > and the CPU fan spins up, but after that there is
    > nothing (no video signal and no beep and no
    > keyboard lights).
    >
    > I have removed all peripherals and cards, it is just
    > the motherboard, CPU, and USB keyboard, with
    > the monitor plugged into the onboard graphics, but
    > the symptom is the same.
    >
    > The beep speaker definitely works, so I don't know
    > what to do from here. (I am used to motherboards
    > emitting a code in beeps when something is
    > seriously wrong, which I could then look up in the manual).
    >
    > If I remove the RAM then it beeps continuously
    > (beeper always on) on startup (until switched off again).
    >
    > The motherboard is an Asus P5B VM DO and the
    > CPU is a Pentium D. The power supply was replaced
    > about 6 months ago. This system has always had a
    > weird feature that when you first power it up, it starts
    > up the lights and fans for about 5 seconds, then
    > powers itself down, then powers itself up again about
    > three seconds later and gets on with booting.
    > (It is still doing that now; the symptom I described
    > above occurs after the re-power-up).

    There is a jumper on the motherboard that you can clear the CMOS with it.
    Try to change the jumper position and back to original position than boot
    the computer. Any changes?

    bardeban, May 4, 2009
  5. Old Wolf

    Guest

    On May 4, 2:11 pm, Old Wolf <> wrote:
    > My wife's PC is broken. I would like to see if there is any
    > way to identify which component is faulty so I don't have to
    > replace the whole lot!
    >
    > The symptom is that when it is turned on, the case
    > power light and the green LED on the motherboard
    > come on, the harddrive light flicks on and off briefly,
    > and the CPU fan spins up, but after that there is
    > nothing (no video signal and no beep and no
    > keyboard lights).
    >
    > I have removed all peripherals and cards, it is just
    > the motherboard, CPU, and USB keyboard, with
    > the monitor plugged into the onboard graphics, but
    > the symptom is the same.
    >
    > The beep speaker definitely works, so I don't know
    > what to do from here. (I am used to motherboards
    > emitting a code in beeps when something is
    > seriously wrong, which I could then look up in the manual).
    >
    > If I remove the RAM then it beeps continuously
    > (beeper always on) on startup (until switched off again).
    >
    > The motherboard is an Asus  P5B VM DO and the
    > CPU is a Pentium D. The power supply was replaced
    > about 6 months ago. This system has always had a
    > weird feature that when you first power it up, it starts
    > up the lights and fans for about 5 seconds, then
    > powers itself down, then powers itself up again about
    > three seconds later and gets on with booting.
    > (It is still doing that now; the symptom I described
    > above occurs after the re-power-up).

    Most likely the motherboard, but try a different PSU just in case.

    , May 5, 2009
  6. Old Wolf

    Old Wolf Guest

    On May 4, 2:11 pm, Old Wolf <> wrote:
    > The symptom is that when it is turned on, the case
    > power light and the green LED on the motherboard
    > come on, the harddrive light flicks on and off briefly,
    > and the CPU fan spins up, but after that there is
    > nothing (no video signal and no beep and no
    > keyboard lights).

    Thanks to everyone who replied. Once I had got
    the motherboard out, I could see there was a
    small semiconductor that had burnt up. I got a
    new motherboard today and it's as good as new :)

    Old Wolf, May 5, 2009