Borg WiFi Internet Access

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector»NZ, May 21, 2005.

  1. Well I have and I am happy (latency is not an issue for me) the results are
    good. Cost is a little higher than ADSL but for me a connection was the need
    and I cant get ADSL, Woosh or anything else.

    Speed Location Hosted By
    246.0 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    242.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    235.9 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    234.2 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    227.3 k United States Nibble Information Systems
    Summary
    Average (New Zealand): 241.4 kbps
    Average (Australia): kbps
    Average (International): 230.8 kbps
     
    Collector»NZ, May 21, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Collector»NZ

    Shane Guest

    On Sat, 21 May 2005 12:16:56 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > Well I have and I am happy (latency is not an issue for me) the results are
    > good. Cost is a little higher than ADSL but for me a connection was the need
    > and I cant get ADSL, Woosh or anything else.
    >
    > Speed Location Hosted By
    > 246.0 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    > 242.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    > 235.9 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    > 234.2 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    > 227.3 k United States Nibble Information Systems
    > Summary
    > Average (New Zealand): 241.4 kbps
    > Average (Australia): kbps
    > Average (International): 230.8 kbps


    no chance you can show us some ping times?
    thanks

    --
    Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked

    The best way to get the right answer on usenet is to post the wrong one.
     
    Shane, May 21, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Shane wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 May 2005 12:16:56 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Well I have and I am happy (latency is not an issue for me) the results are
    >>good. Cost is a little higher than ADSL but for me a connection was the need
    >>and I cant get ADSL, Woosh or anything else.
    >>
    >> Speed Location Hosted By
    >> 246.0 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    >> 242.4 k New Zealand - Auckland Ihug
    >> 235.9 k New Zealand - Auckland Orcon Internet
    >> 234.2 k United States 1&1 Internet Inc
    >> 227.3 k United States Nibble Information Systems
    >>Summary
    >>Average (New Zealand): 241.4 kbps
    >>Average (Australia): kbps
    >>Average (International): 230.8 kbps

    >
    >
    > no chance you can show us some ping times?
    > thanks
    >

    Pinging ns1.orcon.net.nz [210.55.12.1] with 32 bytes of data:

    Reply from 210.55.12.1: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=58
    Reply from 210.55.12.1: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=58
    Reply from 210.55.12.1: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=58
    Reply from 210.55.12.1: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=58

    Ping statistics for 210.55.12.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 18ms



    Pinging ihug.co.nz [203.109.252.75] with 32 bytes of data:

    Reply from 203.109.252.75: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=56
    Reply from 203.109.252.75: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=56
    Reply from 203.109.252.75: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=56
    Reply from 203.109.252.75: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=56

    Ping statistics for 203.109.252.75:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 24ms, Average = 18ms



    Pinging stuff.co.nz [202.135.111.130] with 32 bytes of data:

    Reply from 202.135.111.130: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=52
    Reply from 202.135.111.130: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=52
    Reply from 202.135.111.130: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=52
    Reply from 202.135.111.130: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=52

    Ping statistics for 202.135.111.130:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 28ms, Maximum = 32ms, Average = 30ms

    --
    >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

    ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    ======================================================================
    *Slow day Posts Blog*
    Pictorial Amusement from the web at http://nzcollector.blogspot.com
     
    Collector»NZ, May 21, 2005
    #3
  4. Collector»NZ

    Shane Guest

    *snip*
    thats bloody good isnt it?
    low latency and didnt appear to be a lot of jitter

    --
    Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked

    The best way to get the right answer on usenet is to post the wrong one.
     
    Shane, May 21, 2005
    #4
  5. Shane wrote:
    > *snip*
    > thats bloody good isnt it?
    > low latency and didnt appear to be a lot of jitter
    >

    Yeah, but there are down sides to it. Inactivity times out your
    authentication, which is done by redirecting you to a login page before
    delivering the requested page. This means that you have to open a
    browser to get connected. There may be other authentication available, I
    just havnt found out about it yet.
    The AP is a bitch to re connect and lock up with the transmitter but
    again that may just be the way I am handling it.
    I am using a Dlink Airplus G+ AP in client mode with a std stick antenna
    and while it is sensitive to being moved it stays connected quite well.



    --
    >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

    ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    ======================================================================
    *Slow day Posts Blog*
    Pictorial Amusement from the web at http://nzcollector.blogspot.com
     
    Collector»NZ, May 21, 2005
    #5
  6. In article <428fa83b$>,
    Collector»NZ <> wrote:

    >Inactivity times out your
    >authentication, which is done by redirecting you to a login page before
    >delivering the requested page. This means that you have to open a
    >browser to get connected.


    What does that do to protocols other than HTTP? For instance, a ping
    can't redirect you to a login page before it is passed on, can it?
     
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, May 21, 2005
    #6
  7. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <428fa83b$>,
    > Collector»NZ <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Inactivity times out your
    >>authentication, which is done by redirecting you to a login page before
    >>delivering the requested page. This means that you have to open a
    >>browser to get connected.

    >
    >
    > What does that do to protocols other than HTTP? For instance, a ping
    > can't redirect you to a login page before it is passed on, can it?

    No and that is an issue because I can not keep the connection alive with
    anything other than HTTP. That means mail dosnt keep it alive and I have
    to open an http page to get connected to collect mail.
    It may be the quick hack that was done to get me online on friday night
    that has created this, it may be that there is a better authentication
    process once they have fully signed me up which hasnt happened yet

    --
    >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

    ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    ======================================================================
    *Slow day Posts Blog*
    Pictorial Amusement from the web at http://nzcollector.blogspot.com
     
    Collector»NZ, May 22, 2005
    #7
  8. Collector»NZ

    Malcolm Guest

    On Sun, 22 May 2005 11:01:45 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <428fa83b$>,
    >> Collector»NZ <> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Inactivity times out your
    >>>authentication, which is done by redirecting you to a login page before
    >>>delivering the requested page. This means that you have to open a
    >>>browser to get connected.

    >>
    >>
    >> What does that do to protocols other than HTTP? For instance, a ping
    >> can't redirect you to a login page before it is passed on, can it?

    > No and that is an issue because I can not keep the connection alive with
    > anything other than HTTP. That means mail dosnt keep it alive and I have
    > to open an http page to get connected to collect mail.
    > It may be the quick hack that was done to get me online on friday night
    > that has created this, it may be that there is a better authentication
    > process once they have fully signed me up which hasnt happened yet


    Try using wget to grab a web page.

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°
     
    Malcolm, May 22, 2005
    #8
  9. Collector»NZ

    Mark C Guest

    Collector»NZ <> wrote in
    news:428fbd6e$:

    > ... I can not keep the connection alive with anything other than
    > HTTP.


    FYI, http://www.directupdate.net/ (Dynamic DNS client) has a
    "Persistent internet connection" option that allows an http request
    every n minutes.

    That may be overkill, but you *could* use that, and ignore the dyndns
    thing.

    Mark
     
    Mark C, May 22, 2005
    #9
  10. Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Well I have and I am happy (latency is not an issue for me) the results are
    > good. Cost is a little higher than ADSL but for me a connection was the need
    > and I cant get ADSL, Woosh or anything else.


    not to mention the hardware that they make/stick together... the guy
    really knows what he's doing.
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 22, 2005
    #10
  11. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >>Inactivity times out your
    >>authentication, which is done by redirecting you to a login page before
    >>delivering the requested page. This means that you have to open a
    >>browser to get connected.


    > What does that do to protocols other than HTTP? For instance, a ping
    > can't redirect you to a login page before it is passed on, can it?


    Have a look online for CAT wifi auth, and it should give you some idea
    on it.
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 22, 2005
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Chris Marin - DVD Debate
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    518
    Chris Marin - DVD Debate
    Sep 25, 2003
  2. Del March

    Star Trek TNG Borg box set

    Del March, Dec 21, 2003, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,045
  3. Soapy

    Re: The Truth About Weyoun the Dancing Borg <>

    Soapy, Aug 25, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    553
    Soapy
    Aug 25, 2004
  4. froggy

    borg computers

    froggy, Feb 6, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    378
    madmacca
    Feb 7, 2005
  5. Bling-Bling
    Replies:
    116
    Views:
    2,004
    Chris Wilkinson
    Apr 12, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page