Bored? Maybe this modern masterpiece is what you need...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mark.thomas.7@gmail.com, Aug 18, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Now first I must warn you - if you are a little challenged in the
    humerus region, if you take life very seriously, and don't get
    concepts like Monty Python... then this post is probably *not* for
    you. (Similarly, if brutality to small furry things offends you, or
    you have already seen the "clifford" image, do *not* read on...)

    Sometimes, an image just rises out of nowhere to inspire a
    generation. Here is the one for our times, imo:

    http://photo.net/photodb/photo.tcl?photo_id=1100067

    Your initial reaction may be puzzlement, or even complete
    disinterest.. but you really need to read the critiques (this is a
    very loooong page!) to fully understand. And then there are the
    additional images posted... (O:

    Do be warned, the thread of critiques takes a very nasty turn about a
    quarter of the way down, when the evil Rick Vincent makes an unwelcome
    appearance - do *not* let this page be seen by the young or faint
    hearted...

    (I should now apologise for the hour you may waste if you are silly
    enough to start reading...)

    , Aug 18, 2007

  2. Matt Ion Guest

    wrote:

    > Your initial reaction may be puzzlement, or even complete
    > disinterest.. but you really need to read the critiques (this is a
    > very loooong page!) to fully understand. And then there are the
    > additional images posted... (O:

    Ah, I've had those sorts of moments...

    http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1994659

    Matt Ion, Aug 18, 2007

  3. Pete D Guest

    Must say I was pretty amazed by the timeframe of all the posts.

    Pete D, Aug 18, 2007
  4. Noons Guest

    Noons, Aug 19, 2007
  5. ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 04:58:59 -0700, wrote:

    > (I should now apologise for the hour you may waste if you are silly
    > enough to start reading...)

    Silly me. But I deserve the wasted hour because I had the
    temerity to recently post a link to the Bonsai Kitten web page. I
    won't soon repeat that mistake.

    :)

    ASAAR, Aug 19, 2007
  6. D_Mac Guest

    Re: Bored? Maybe this modern masterpiece is what you need...

    On Aug 19, 5:44 pm, Noons <> wrote:
    > On Aug 19, 4:18 am, Matt Ion <> wrote:
    >

    > > Ah, I've had those sorts of moments...

    > >http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1994659

    > Perfect control of the highlights!

    ROTFL
    I suppose no one (not even the world reknown photography critic:
    Baabaa Markt) has figured it out yet?
    I'm surprised none of the photosig critics picked it up either. I
    guess there are photographers and then there are REAL Photographers!

    Doug

    D_Mac, Aug 20, 2007
  7. John Turco Guest

    ASAAR wrote:

    > On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 04:58:59 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > > (I should now apologise for the hour you may waste if you are silly
    > > enough to start reading...)

    > Silly me. But I deserve the wasted hour because I had the
    > temerity to recently post a link to the Bonsai Kitten web page. I
    > won't soon repeat that mistake.
    >
    > :)

    Hello, ASAAR:

    I've decided against clicking on the original poster's link, out of
    fear that it might lead me to something that only Michael Vick could
    love. <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Aug 20, 2007
  8. ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 23:20:26 -0500, John Turco wrote:

    > I've decided against clicking on the original poster's link, out of
    > fear that it might lead me to something that only Michael Vick could
    > love. <g>

    Try it, you'll like it. Guaranteed. Very little Vick (none,
    actually), much more reminiscent of Zelig.

    ASAAR, Aug 20, 2007
  9. Guest

    On Aug 20, 2:20 pm, John Turco <> wrote:
    > I've decided against clicking on the original poster's link, out of
    > fear that it might lead me to something that only Michael Vick could
    > love. <g>
    >
    > Cordially,
    > John Turco <>

    aww, go on John. here it is again...

    http://photo.net/photodb/photo.tcl?photo_id=1100067

    Take a peek at the image, wince in pain, then just read Tony Dummett's
    critique and Laurence Spinak's response - you will have an idea of
    where it is heading. By that time the rest of the page will have
    loaded and you can scroll down to see the level it reaches and the
    derivative works it inspired... (O;

    It helps if you have spent time at photo.net and know the regulars
    from back around 2002/3, but even without it the responses to the
    image are pretty funny, and it runs the gamut from the higher meanings
    of life, the universe and everything, through PS cheating, through to
    torture and depravity (in the nicest possible way, of course)...

    It sorta sums up everything that is cringeworthy about photo critique
    sites (if not photography and art in general), by way of parody (and
    painful truth)..

    Anyway, I'll stop spamming it now. (O:

    , Aug 20, 2007
  10. John Turco Guest

    ASAAR wrote:

    > On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 23:20:26 -0500, John Turco wrote:
    >
    > > I've decided against clicking on the original poster's link, out of
    > > fear that it might lead me to something that only Michael Vick could
    > > love. <g>

    > Try it, you'll like it. Guaranteed. Very little Vick (none,
    > actually), much more reminiscent of Zelig.

    Hello, ASAAR:

    Thanks, but, I must respectfully decline. <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Aug 23, 2007
  11. John Turco Guest

    wrote:

    > On Aug 20, 2:20 pm, John Turco <> wrote:
    > > I've decided against clicking on the original poster's link, out of
    > > fear that it might lead me to something that only Michael Vick could
    > > love. <g>
    > >
    > > Cordially,
    > > John Turco <>

    > aww, go on John. here it is again...
    >
    > http://photo.net/photodb/photo.tcl?photo_id=1100067
    >
    > Take a peek at the image, wince in pain, then just read Tony Dummett's
    > critique and Laurence Spinak's response - you will have an idea of
    > where it is heading. By that time the rest of the page will have
    > loaded and you can scroll down to see the level it reaches and the
    > derivative works it inspired... (O;
    >
    > It helps if you have spent time at photo.net and know the regulars
    > from back around 2002/3, but even without it the responses to the
    > image are pretty funny, and it runs the gamut from the higher meanings
    > of life, the universe and everything, through PS cheating, through to
    > torture and depravity (in the nicest possible way, of course)...
    >
    > It sorta sums up everything that is cringeworthy about photo critique
    > sites (if not photography and art in general), by way of parody (and
    > painful truth)..
    >
    > Anyway, I'll stop spamming it now. (O:

    Hello, Mark:

    Sorry; it sounds too insipid to bother with. :p

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Aug 23, 2007
  12. ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 21:48:02 -0500, John Turco wrote:

    >> It sorta sums up everything that is cringeworthy about photo critique
    >> sites (if not photography and art in general), by way of parody (and
    >> painful truth)..
    >>
    >> Anyway, I'll stop spamming it now. (O:

    > Sorry; it sounds too insipid to bother with. :p

    Too bad. You missed so many Kodak Moments. :)

    ASAAR, Aug 23, 2007
  13. Guest

    On Aug 23, 12:48 pm, John Turco <> wrote:
    > > It sorta sums up everything that is cringeworthy about photo critique
    > > sites (if not photography and art in general), by way of parody (and
    > > painful truth)..

    > > Anyway, I'll stop spamming it now. (O:

    > Hello, Mark:
    >
    > Sorry; it sounds too insipid to bother with. :p
    >
    > Cordially,
    > John Turco <>

    That's ok, I understand fully. And I did promise to stop spamming, so
    I won't repeat the link, and you need not read on.. However.. (O;

    For anyone else unwilling to click on such a link (given my
    introductory comments who would?!), but sytill mildly interested in
    what might be there, I think the following snippet will give you a
    good idea of the flavour of what might be found. The link shows an..
    er.. 'image'.. for want of a better word, and that image is followed
    by some piercingly insightful critiques and comments, of which I post
    two below. I hope Tony (whose description of developing brings back
    pythonesque memories of the exact same process *I* used, back when I
    was "liv'n in paper bag int middle'o'road"...) and Lawrence do not
    mind:

    (quote)
    ===== Tony Dummett, November 03, 2002; 06:11 P.M.

    Don't take any notice of them, Lawrence. They're just jealous of your
    talents and only wish they could come even close to this masterwork.

    Morwen was really onto something when he mentioned the dashboard.
    Since I took my first picture at the age of 2, with a shoebox painted
    black on the inside for a camera and a polished coke bottle for a
    lens, and developed my first film, in the snow, at 40 below,
    surrounded by bears, with only a translucent coonskin over the tent
    flap for a safelight, using one of my Dad's leaky two gallon buckets
    patched with lard and a little washing powder mixed with bicarbonate
    and dirt for developer, in 1942 (that's 60 years in the business in
    case you can't add up), I have been trying to photograph dashboards
    and never thought of combining them with wipers in quite the way you
    have. Dad and I musta drove near 400,000 miles, and because he
    wouldn't buy me a dog there wasn't much else to do but look at the
    dashboard, 'cept on special occasions when I got to work the window
    winders. I always believed I knew quite a bit about dashboards, but
    dashboards with wipers... now that's a different story altogether.

    In my defence I must say that Dad didn't believe in wipers. He used to
    get me out on the bonnet with a chisel to chip at the ice. He reckoned
    it was cheaper that way. He'd let me warm my hands up on the exhaust
    pipe after, if I was good. Occasionally we'd see other cars with
    wipers, but I never seemed to have my shoebox ready, loaded with film
    to take their picture. I used to keep all my clothes in that shoebox
    too and I could never manage to empty it out in time and screw on the
    coke bottle ready for a snapshot. I guess that's what they mean when
    they talk about the Decisive Moment, eh?

    Lawrence, could you give us some more information, please, on just how
    you managed to capture the dashboard so well and so subtly? Could you
    share your insights - technical and artistic - with us on that
    subject?

    ===== Lawrence Spinak, November 03, 2002; 06:41 P.M.

    Well Tony, since you asked:

    I could go on all day about f-stops and apertures and exposure lengths
    and angles of light. I could discuss the circles of confusion, and the
    intricacies of applying the Scheimpflug Rule. Getting the dashboard
    "just so" turned out to be extraordinarily difficult.

    Ultimately, one piece of technology turned out to be essential to the
    success of this photograph: the little lever beside the seat that lets
    you lower the seat back. Once I'd adjusted the seat properly, a whole
    world of possibilities opened up to me.

    It was this "seat adjustment technique" that allowed me to correctly
    capture the Fibinacci-like ratio of dashboard to windshield, thereby
    properly framing the gentle bug-splat between SUV and camper.

    Colin: At the moment of impact...ummm...capture, there was no actual
    "driver" in the strictest sense of the word. As you well know,
    dedication to one's art occasionally requires a high degree of
    sacrifice. This was one of those events that made me examine my
    priorities. You put it in perspective, and ask yourself, "What is more
    important to me: to be a 'driver' or a 'photographer'?" The choices
    become very simple.

    (endquote)

    Yes, I think there is something in there for all of us...........

    , Aug 30, 2007
  14. John Turco Guest

    wrote:

    > On Aug 23, 12:48 pm, John Turco <> wrote:
    > > > It sorta sums up everything that is cringeworthy about photo critique
    > > > sites (if not photography and art in general), by way of parody (and
    > > > painful truth)..

    > > > Anyway, I'll stop spamming it now. (O:

    > > Hello, Mark:
    > >
    > > Sorry; it sounds too insipid to bother with. :p
    > >
    > > Cordially,
    > > John Turco <>

    > That's ok, I understand fully. And I did promise to stop spamming, so
    > I won't repeat the link, and you need not read on.. However.. (O;
    >
    > For anyone else unwilling to click on such a link (given my
    > introductory comments who would?!), but sytill mildly interested in
    > what might be there, I think the following snippet will give you a
    > good idea of the flavour of what might be found. The link shows an..
    > er.. 'image'.. for want of a better word, and that image is followed
    > by some piercingly insightful critiques and comments, of which I post
    > two below. I hope Tony (whose description of developing brings back
    > pythonesque memories of the exact same process *I* used, back when I
    > was "liv'n in paper bag int middle'o'road"...) and Lawrence do not
    > mind:
    >
    > (quote)
    > ===== Tony Dummett, November 03, 2002; 06:11 P.M.

    Hello, Thomas:

    2002, eh? That's ancient history! :-J

    > Don't take any notice of them, Lawrence. They're just jealous of your
    > talents and only wish they could come even close to this masterwork.
    >
    > Morwen was really onto something when he mentioned the dashboard.
    > Since I took my first picture at the age of 2, with a shoebox painted
    > black on the inside for a camera and a polished coke bottle for a
    > lens, and developed my first film, in the snow, at 40 below,
    > surrounded by bears, with only a translucent coonskin over the tent
    > flap for a safelight, using one of my Dad's leaky two gallon buckets
    > patched with lard and a little washing powder mixed with bicarbonate
    > and dirt for developer, in 1942 (that's 60 years in the business in
    > case you can't add up), I have been trying to photograph dashboards
    > and never thought of combining them with wipers in quite the way you
    > have. Dad and I musta drove near 400,000 miles, and because he
    > wouldn't buy me a dog there wasn't much else to do but look at the
    > dashboard, 'cept on special occasions when I got to work the window
    > winders. I always believed I knew quite a bit about dashboards, but
    > dashboards with wipers... now that's a different story altogether.

    <heavily edited, for brevity>

    Rather amusing, indeed, and I can surely appreciate the "Monte
    Pythonesque" biting satire.

    Thanks, for sharing!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>