borderless printing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Keith Wiley, Oct 23, 2005.

  1. Keith Wiley

    Keith Wiley Guest

    I have been printing borderless 8.5x11 photos on an Epson 820 for a few
    years now. I have noticed that the printer (or the driver) automatically
    crops my photo before printing it. I have precropped the image in advance
    to have the exact aspect ratio of 8.5x11. Nevertheless, the printed
    borderless image is always cropped by about a sixth of an inch around all
    sides. The cropped view is then blown up to fill the borderless 8.5x11
    print and the cropped away border is gone (off the edges of the paper
    basically).

    Has anyone else had this experience? Why does the printer do such an
    annoying thing when I have already edited the image dimenstions to match
    the dimensions of the media being printed on?

    I have tried adding a border around the image before printing it, but I
    cannot find the right border thickenss on the top/bottom and left/right
    sides of the image that makes the printer perfect crop right to the edges
    of my image. The printer's autocropping routine seeings to confound any
    combination of top/bottom thickness and left/right thickness such that you
    cannot printer an image that neither shows the artificial border or crops
    the image on at least one of the two axes.

    This is driving me crazy. Thanks for any help.

    Cheers!

    Keith Wiley http://www.unm.edu/~keithw

    "Yet mark his perfect self-contentment, and hence learn his lesson,
    that to be self-contented is to be vile and ignorant, and that to
    aspire is better than to be blindly and impotently happy."
    -- Edwin A. Abbott, Flatland

    Keith Wiley, Oct 23, 2005

  2. Keith Wiley

    kctan Guest

    Because no printer can print to the border precisely so it needs to "bleed".

    kctan, Oct 23, 2005

  3. Keith Wiley wrote:
    > I have been printing borderless 8.5x11 photos on an Epson 820 for a few
    > years now. I have noticed that the printer (or the driver)
    > automatically crops my photo before printing it. I have precropped the
    > image in advance to have the exact aspect ratio of 8.5x11.
    > Nevertheless, the printed borderless image is always cropped by about a
    > sixth of an inch around all sides. The cropped view is then blown up to
    > fill the borderless 8.5x11 print and the cropped away border is gone
    > (off the edges of the paper basically).
    >
    > Has anyone else had this experience? Why does the printer do such an
    > annoying thing when I have already edited the image dimenstions to match
    > the dimensions of the media being printed on?
    >
    > I have tried adding a border around the image before printing it, but I
    > cannot find the right border thickenss on the top/bottom and left/right
    > sides of the image that makes the printer perfect crop right to the
    > edges of my image. The printer's autocropping routine seeings to
    > confound any combination of top/bottom thickness and left/right
    > thickness such that you cannot printer an image that neither shows the
    > artificial border or crops the image on at least one of the two axes.
    >
    > This is driving me crazy. Thanks for any help.

    In my Canon 8500 there is an adjustment for the amount of cropping when
    doing borderless. Perhaps there is such an adjustment for Epson. I
    haven't noticed if, with the zero cropping adjustment, there is still a
    little bleed, but it certainly isn't bad.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Oct 23, 2005
  4. Keith Wiley

    Keith Wiley Guest

    Okay, I guess I'm not familiar with that term in this context. I know
    what it means for ink to bleed into the paper, but I hadn't heard it used
    like this before. I'll google it for more info.

    Thanks for the lead.

    Cheers!

    Keith Wiley, Oct 23, 2005