Borderless Printing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Lynn, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. Lynn

    Lynn Guest

    I have a file I want to print on A4 paper and I want it to be Borderless. I
    am using a Canon i550x. If I print via Easy Photo Print the software that
    came with the Printer I can get it to work okay.
    My file size off my 3mp camera is 1,197KB.

    If I print with PSP7 when I am using the Printers drivers I get the
    following
    300 pixels per inch shows me an actual print size of 6.826 x 5.120 and
    when I set it to Borderless Printing it doesn't fill the whole page at all
    (I guess it is perhaps giving me size stated)
    150 pixels per inch shows me an actual print size of 13.653 x 10.240 and on
    Borderless printing the preview looks as if it would be.

    I thought me choosing to have the setting on my camera at the highest and it
    giving me such a large file size would mean that I can print A4 no problem.
    Do I have to set the pixels per inch at the lower setting to get the A4
    borderless print and will it not mean the picture is of poorer quality doing
    that.

    How does Easy Photo print manage to print it okay then? Can someone
    enlighten me on what I should be doing please. Obviously I've not understood
    the procedure along the way.

    --
    Lynn
    Remove Spam Trap if replying personally

    Lynn, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Lynn

    BUNTOVNIK Guest

    "Lynn" <> wrote in message
    > I have a file I want to print on A4 paper and I want it to be Borderless.

    > am using a Canon i550x. If I print via Easy Photo Print the software that
    > came with the Printer I can get it to work okay.
    > My file size off my 3mp camera is 1,197KB.

    Filesize has nothing to do with your problem. The thing is that the software
    that came with your camera stretches the photo to full page, although you
    don't have enough pixels in your photo to do that. It looses some quality
    along the way, but probably delivers acceptable results. The PSP7 doesen't
    do that. If you tell it to print at 300 DPI, that's what it'll do. The 3 mp
    at 300 DPI isn't going to get you full A4, no matter what setting. Your
    camera just doesen't deliver such large files (and I mean large in
    dimensions, not filesize). But, you can force your 3 mp images print on A4,
    at 300 DPI. Only problem is your program will be "inventing" some of the
    data that's missing short. That is called interpolation. And from your post,
    I'd say you can live with that.

    --
    ----------------------
    online photo portfolio

    BUNTOVNIK, Sep 11, 2003

  3. Lynn

    mike Guest

    in article bjof6l$jvq$, Lynn at
    wrote on 9/10/03 5:21 PM:

    > If I print with PSP7 ...

    hahahahaha.

    Not a chance.

    ":^) ®

    --
    Mike

    * Logo Design *
    Put some fun in your next logo!

    Site at: http://www.artistmike.com

    mike, Sep 11, 2003
  4. Lynn

    Tim Guest

    Lynn wrote:
    > I have a file I want to print on A4 paper and I want it to be
    > Borderless. I am using a Canon i550x. If I print via Easy Photo
    > Print the software that came with the Printer I can get it to work
    > okay.
    > My file size off my 3mp camera is 1,197KB.
    >
    > If I print with PSP7 when I am using the Printers drivers I get the
    > following
    > 300 pixels per inch shows me an actual print size of 6.826 x 5.120
    > and when I set it to Borderless Printing it doesn't fill the whole
    > page at all (I guess it is perhaps giving me size stated)
    > 150 pixels per inch shows me an actual print size of 13.653 x 10.240
    > and on Borderless printing the preview looks as if it would be.
    >
    > I thought me choosing to have the setting on my camera at the highest
    > and it giving me such a large file size would mean that I can print
    > A4 no problem. Do I have to set the pixels per inch at the lower
    > setting to get the A4 borderless print and will it not mean the
    > picture is of poorer quality doing that.
    >
    > How does Easy Photo print manage to print it okay then? Can someone
    > enlighten me on what I should be doing please. Obviously I've not
    > understood the procedure along the way.

    At the moment you have a few problems with this. The first is that the
    proportions of your image are at a ratio of 1.333:1. A4 paper is 1.414:1. To
    get the proportions right you will need to crop the image. To lose the
    minimum you would need to crop it so that it is 6.826 x 4.827 inches.
    The next problem is that you really don't have enough detail to print at A4.
    The makers of 3 megapixel cameras often claim that they can do A4 blowups...
    but they are exaggerating... or maybe lying or like soft images or very
    large borders. Exactly how low you can go as far as resolution is concerned
    depends a bit on the image, but I have found that its rarely possible to go
    lower than 240 pixels per inch. Your image would only have 175 pixels per
    inch at A4.
    If you want to try it out anyway, do the following:-
    Crop the image to 6.826 x 4.827 inches.
    Then either resize the image to 11.693 x 8.268 inches with the "Resample
    using:" box unticked, or go to page setup and make sure the page orientation
    is correct and tick the "Fit to page" box. You will need to adjust the
    printer properties for borderless printing so that "Fit to page" doesn't
    leave the default borders. While you are in printer properties set any other
    paper or resolution options you require.
    Hope it all turns out OK. If the image is a very simple one or if the print
    is going to be viewed from a distance, the low resolution may be all right.

    All the best

    Tim

    Tim, Sep 11, 2003
  5. Lynn

    Nightingail Guest

    I think that my question will fit right in here. I have a Kodak DX6340 3.1
    MP, with four quality settings to choose from - 'good' 'better' 'best' and
    'best (3:2')

    I understand that the 3:2 refers to aspect ratio, and from a chart in the
    manual that gives the number of pictures you get per MB of memory at each of
    the settings I can see that 'best' is better quality than 'best 3:2'. I did
    RTFM and the only thing it says as an explanation is that the 'best 3:2'
    setting is "ideal for use with the Kodak Printer Dock and other printing
    solutions" (I don't have their Printing dock nor do I plan to get it). There
    are no more details at all about the difference between the two settings -
    and since I am a total newbie to digital photography, would someone be able
    to explain when or why I would choose one of the 'best' settings over the
    other one? Thanks and believe it or not, after RFTM, I only have two
    questions, the above is one of them and I'm still hoping to find out the
    answer to the other one on my own<g>.

    Gail
    --
    Nightingail's Gallery
    http://www.nightingail.com

    Nightingail, Sep 11, 2003
  6. Lynn

    Savidge4 Guest

    >I think that my question will fit right in here. I have a Kodak DX6340 3.1
    >MP, with four quality settings to choose from - 'good' 'better' 'best' and
    >'best (3:2')
    >
    >I understand that the 3:2 refers to aspect ratio, and from a chart in the
    >manual that gives the number of pictures you get per MB of memory at each of
    >the settings I can see that 'best' is better quality than 'best 3:2'. I did
    >RTFM and the only thing it says as an explanation is that the 'best 3:2'
    >setting is "ideal for use with the Kodak Printer Dock and other printing
    >solutions" (I don't have their Printing dock nor do I plan to get it). There
    >are no more details at all about the difference between the two settings -
    >and since I am a total newbie to digital photography, would someone be able
    >to explain when or why I would choose one of the 'best' settings over the
    >other one? Thanks and believe it or not, after RFTM, I only have two
    >questions, the above is one of them and I'm still hoping to find out the
    >answer to the other one on my own<g>.

    you camera has a native resolution of 2032 x 1535, using the 4:3 ratio. you
    can do a little math as in 2032 divided by 4 to determine that 508 pixels is
    the denominator in your aspect ration.

    If you wanted to print a 6x4 photo using your current resolution you would know
    that you want to print using a 3:2 aspect ration. Again doing the quick math
    you will find your denominator being 677 pixels. using the 3:2 ration you can
    then determine that you need 2031 x 1354 resolution to produce a 6x4 print.

    What this all means is that if you take pictures at Best (4:3) you will need to
    crop each image for 6x4 printing. What Kodak has done is set the camera to do
    this for you by allowing for Best (3:2) you do however loose overall
    resolution in the image. 369,824 pixels or 1/3 of a megapixel to be exact.

    If you have no intentions of printing your images then Best (4:3) is what you
    want to use. if you want to print a picture now and again I would still use
    the Best (4:3) and do the cropping of the image. Now if I was printing many
    photos I would go ahead and set the camera to Best (3:2)

    hope that helps!

    Savidge4, Sep 11, 2003
  7. Lynn

    Tim Guest

    Nightingail wrote:
    > I think that my question will fit right in here. I have a Kodak
    > DX6340 3.1 MP, with four quality settings to choose from - 'good'
    > 'better' 'best' and 'best (3:2')
    >
    > I understand that the 3:2 refers to aspect ratio, and from a chart in
    > the manual that gives the number of pictures you get per MB of memory
    > at each of the settings I can see that 'best' is better quality than
    > 'best 3:2'. I did RTFM and the only thing it says as an explanation
    > is that the 'best 3:2' setting is "ideal for use with the Kodak
    > Printer Dock and other printing solutions" (I don't have their
    > Printing dock nor do I plan to get it). There are no more details at
    > all about the difference between the two settings - and since I am a
    > total newbie to digital photography, would someone be able to explain
    > when or why I would choose one of the 'best' settings over the other
    > one? Thanks and believe it or not, after RFTM, I only have two
    > questions, the above is one of them and I'm still hoping to find out
    > the answer to the other one on my own<g>.
    >
    > Gail

    The best 3:2 will be cropped out of the normal best frame which will
    probably be 4:3. For instance, if the normal frame is 2400 x 1800 pixels,
    the best 3:2 will be 2400 x 1600. You would be able to store more best 3:2
    pictures in the camera's memory, not because they are compressed like the
    lower quality settings, but because they are physically smaller.
    The 3:2 aspect ratio is the same as 35mm film and standard 6 x 4 inch
    prints... I guess that the Kodak Printer dock uses paper of that proportion
    too. The 4:3 size is the standard computer monitor size and you can print at
    any size or shape that takes your fancy.
    As for whether you would pick best 3:2 over the normal best...
    Maybe if you only ever used your photos to make 6 x 4 inch prints or if you
    were trying to squeeze a couple of extra shots into the camera's memory, but
    mostly I'd think that you would use "Best" and, if you needed to, crop it a
    little later.

    All the best

    Tim

    Tim, Sep 11, 2003
  8. Lynn

    Trev Guest

    "Nightingail" <> wrote in message
    > I think that my question will fit right in here. I have a Kodak DX6340 3.1
    > MP, with four quality settings to choose from - 'good' 'better' 'best' and
    > 'best (3:2')
    >
    > I understand that the 3:2 refers to aspect ratio, and from a chart in the
    > manual that gives the number of pictures you get per MB of memory at each

    of
    > the settings I can see that 'best' is better quality than 'best 3:2'. I

    did
    > RTFM and the only thing it says as an explanation is that the 'best 3:2'
    > setting is "ideal for use with the Kodak Printer Dock and other printing
    > solutions" (I don't have their Printing dock nor do I plan to get it).

    There
    > are no more details at all about the difference between the two settings -
    > and since I am a total newbie to digital photography, would someone be

    able
    > to explain when or why I would choose one of the 'best' settings over the
    > other one? Thanks and believe it or not, after RFTM, I only have two
    > questions, the above is one of them and I'm still hoping to find out the
    > answer to the other one on my own<g>.
    >
    > Gail
    > --
    > Nightingail's Gallery
    > http://www.nightingail.com
    > Digital Artwork
    > Free Web Art and Graphics

    These refer to the ammount of comprestion to the jpeg image Best is least
    but less images to a card. 3;2 is smaller then the normal 4;3 image ratio,
    it has a bit croped of so that it will fit staderd 6 x 4 paper with ou you
    doing the croping. Ie fr none users of image editing programmes. as its not
    using the full 3 megapixels it got a smaller file size but the same best
    comprestion as the 4;3 best

    Trev, Sep 11, 2003
  9. Lynn

    Lynn Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > lower than 240 pixels per inch. Your image would only have 175 pixels per
    > inch at A4.
    > If you want to try it out anyway, do the following:-
    > Crop the image to 6.826 x 4.827 inches.
    > Then either resize the image to 11.693 x 8.268 inches with the "Resample
    > using:" box unticked, or go to page setup and make sure the page

    orientation
    > is correct and tick the "Fit to page" box. You will need to adjust the
    > printer properties for borderless printing so that "Fit to page" doesn't
    > leave the default borders. While you are in printer properties set any

    other
    > paper or resolution options you require.
    > Hope it all turns out OK. If the image is a very simple one or if the

    print
    > is going to be viewed from a distance, the low resolution may be all

    Hi
    Thanks for such helpful answers. Bearing in mind that I will always be
    taking pictures with a view to printing them Am I right in thinking that I
    should always be using 3M Fine which gives me a file twice the size of the
    setting 3M Normal. The manual says to use this for better quality but it
    mystifies me how it's doing it as I would have expected 3m to be what it
    says 3m regardless. I can see how 3m is better than 2m or the 1m which they
    suggest for emailing. Using Fuji A303. I have to say you dont actually get a
    manual with the Canon i550x but it has info on a CD rom but I find it
    doesn't actually tell you a lot :) I have rung the helpdesk once and have
    emailed several times but their answers leave a bit to be desired.
    I was having trouble as will with 6x4 printing (placement incorrect) and I
    noticed that there were new updated drivers on the website for my printer
    and the Easy Photo Print and wondered if I should download. Always a bit
    unsure about the prcedure for that sort of thing though. even though must
    other things I tackle okay and like to sort things out myself if I can.

    Lynn, Sep 11, 2003
  10. Lynn

    Nightingail Guest

    Tim and Trev,

    Thank you both for such quick and understandable replies. I had thought it
    might have something to do with image-cropping, as the manual seems to be
    directed at users who don't have much experience with graphics apps.
    Fortunately for me, it also is directed at folks that don't have a whole lot
    of photography experience either ;-)

    Gail

    --
    Nightingail's Gallery
    http://www.nightingail.com

    Nightingail, Sep 11, 2003
  11. Lynn

    Tim Guest

    Lynn wrote:
    > Thanks for such helpful answers. Bearing in mind that I will always be
    > taking pictures with a view to printing them Am I right in thinking
    > that I should always be using 3M Fine which gives me a file twice the
    > size of the setting 3M Normal. The manual says to use this for
    > better quality but it mystifies me how it's doing it as I would have
    > expected 3m to be what it says 3m regardless. I can see how 3m is
    > better than 2m or the 1m which they suggest for emailing. Using Fuji
    > A303. I have to say you dont actually get a manual with the Canon
    > i550x but it has info on a CD rom but I find it doesn't actually tell
    > you a lot :) I have rung the helpdesk once and have emailed several
    > times but their answers leave a bit to be desired.
    > I was having trouble as will with 6x4 printing (placement incorrect)
    > and I noticed that there were new updated drivers on the website for
    > my printer and the Easy Photo Print and wondered if I should
    > download. Always a bit unsure about the prcedure for that sort of
    > thing though. even though must other things I tackle okay and like to
    > sort things out myself if I can.

    The 3M normal will be saved using some sort of lossy compression like jpeg
    so that more pictures will fit in memory. The higher quality setting will
    either be uncompressed or use lossless compression... something like tiff or
    a raw format. This will be better quality, but each image will use more
    memory. If the level of compression is fairly low there might not be a lot
    of noticeable difference between "normal" and "fine". Try taking some test
    shots using both. Something that incorporates sharp, contrasty diagonal
    lines would be good as would something with a large area of softly gradated
    colour.
    As for updated drivers... I'd always give them a try. The ones that come
    with any hardware are often a bit rushed so they ship at the right time, but
    can often be months (and quite a few versions) out of date by the time you
    get them.

    All the best

    Tim

    Tim, Sep 11, 2003
  12. Lynn

    Lynn Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Lynn wrote:
    > > Thanks for such helpful answers. Bearing in mind that I will always be
    > > taking pictures with a view to printing them Am I right in thinking
    > > that I should always be using 3M Fine which gives me a file twice the
    > > size of the setting 3M Normal. The manual says to use this for
    > > better quality but it mystifies me how it's doing it as I would have
    > > expected 3m to be what it says 3m regardless. I can see how 3m is
    > > better than 2m or the 1m which they suggest for emailing. Using Fuji
    > > A303. I have to say you dont actually get a manual with the Canon
    > > i550x but it has info on a CD rom but I find it doesn't actually tell
    > > you a lot :) I have rung the helpdesk once and have emailed several
    > > times but their answers leave a bit to be desired.
    > > I was having trouble as will with 6x4 printing (placement incorrect)
    > > and I noticed that there were new updated drivers on the website for
    > > my printer and the Easy Photo Print and wondered if I should
    > > download. Always a bit unsure about the prcedure for that sort of
    > > thing though. even though must other things I tackle okay and like to
    > > sort things out myself if I can.

    > The 3M normal will be saved using some sort of lossy compression like jpeg
    > so that more pictures will fit in memory. The higher quality setting will
    > either be uncompressed or use lossless compression... something like tiff

    or
    > a raw format. This will be better quality, but each image will use more
    > memory. If the level of compression is fairly low there might not be a lot
    > of noticeable difference between "normal" and "fine". Try taking some test
    > shots using both. Something that incorporates sharp, contrasty diagonal
    > lines would be good as would something with a large area of softly

    gradated
    > colour.
    > As for updated drivers... I'd always give them a try. The ones that come
    > with any hardware are often a bit rushed so they ship at the right time,

    but
    > can often be months (and quite a few versions) out of date by the time you
    > get them.
    >
    > All the best
    >
    > Tim

    Thanks Tim both kinds of files come off the camera as jpg's. I must admit
    the only thing I've noticed at the moment really is the difference in the
    size between the 2 settings, but then again I've never taken 2 pictures of
    the same thing using the different settings. I will try that. Most of the
    time I do my printing as either 2 prints on 1 A4 sheet or use the 4 x A4
    sheet both come with the Easy Photo Print but I use highest quality setting
    in case I want to do an A4 one of it for someone. Sometimes I have actually
    thought that the 3M Fine sometimes looks more 'grainy' than the 3M Normal
    but perhaps what it I'm seeing is a 'softer' picture with the 3M Normal. I
    will have to take 2 pictures of the same subject using the different
    settings and see if I can see any difference.

    Lynn, Sep 11, 2003
  13. Lynn

    Trev Guest

    "Lynn" <> wrote in message

    > "Tim" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks Tim both kinds of files come off the camera as jpg's. I must admit
    > the only thing I've noticed at the moment really is the difference in the
    > size between the 2 settings, but then again I've never taken 2 pictures of
    > the same thing using the different settings. I will try that. Most of

    the
    > time I do my printing as either 2 prints on 1 A4 sheet or use the 4 x A4
    > sheet both come with the Easy Photo Print but I use highest quality

    setting
    > in case I want to do an A4 one of it for someone. Sometimes I have

    actually
    > thought that the 3M Fine sometimes looks more 'grainy' than the 3M Normal
    > but perhaps what it I'm seeing is a 'softer' picture with the 3M Normal. I
    > will have to take 2 pictures of the same subject using the different
    > settings and see if I can see any difference.

    Its just the difference in compression rates of the jpegs.Fine uses less
    compression therefore bigger files and less images to a card.

    Trev, Sep 11, 2003
  14. Lynn

    Uni Guest

    Lynn wrote:
    > I have a file I want to print on A4 paper and I want it to be Borderless. I
    > am using a Canon i550x. If I print via Easy Photo Print the software that
    > came with the Printer I can get it to work okay.
    > My file size off my 3mp camera is 1,197KB.
    >
    > If I print with PSP7 when I am using the Printers drivers I get the
    > following
    > 300 pixels per inch shows me an actual print size of 6.826 x 5.120 and
    > when I set it to Borderless Printing it doesn't fill the whole page at all
    > (I guess it is perhaps giving me size stated)
    > 150 pixels per inch shows me an actual print size of 13.653 x 10.240 and on
    > Borderless printing the preview looks as if it would be.
    >
    > I thought me choosing to have the setting on my camera at the highest and it
    > giving me such a large file size would mean that I can print A4 no problem.
    > Do I have to set the pixels per inch at the lower setting to get the A4
    > borderless print and will it not mean the picture is of poorer quality doing
    > that.
    >
    > How does Easy Photo print manage to print it okay then? Can someone
    > enlighten me on what I should be doing please. Obviously I've not understood
    > the procedure along the way.

    Works fine with Photoshop Elements.

    Uni

    Uni, Sep 12, 2003
  15. Lynn

    Lynn Guest

    "Ralph O'Rourke" <> wrote in message
    > Lynn,
    >
    > Just curious. Do you get a slightly bluish cast to your photos
    > printed in the i550.
    >
    > *I* do and am wondering if it's the printer or if I need a gamma
    > correction.
    > RR

    Hi
    No I don't get a bluish cast. As for the printer itself I am very pleased
    with it's result it's just this Borderless thing that's giving me a
    headache. Thinking of updating the drivers.

    Lynn, Sep 12, 2003
  16. Lynn

    Lynn Guest

    Re: Borderless Printing - May have resolved it

    May have sorted it now, don't know if it's the right way but it seems to
    work. If I go in to Resize in PSP7 and set the Actual/Print size to 21 x
    29.7mm (A4) untick Resize all Layers and the Maintain Aspect Ratio box then
    got to Page Setup have Fit to Page ticked. I then go to my Printer
    Properties and select the Media I am using (eg Photopaper Pro High Quality
    A4) and then tick Borderless Printing and Hey presto I get a Borderless A4
    print!! Thanks for all your help I have wrote all this down for next
    time!!!!!

    Lynn, Sep 12, 2003
  17. "Lynn" <> wrote in message
    > I have a file I want to print on A4 paper and I want it to be Borderless.

    > am using a Canon i550x. If I print via Easy Photo Print the software that
    > came with the Printer I can get it to work okay.
    > My file size off my 3mp camera is 1,197KB.
    >
    > If I print with PSP7 when I am using the Printers drivers I get the
    > following
    > 300 pixels per inch shows me an actual print size of 6.826 x 5.120 and
    > when I set it to Borderless Printing it doesn't fill the whole page at all
    > (I guess it is perhaps giving me size stated)
    > 150 pixels per inch shows me an actual print size of 13.653 x 10.240 and

    on
    > Borderless printing the preview looks as if it would be.
    >
    > I thought me choosing to have the setting on my camera at the highest and

    it
    > giving me such a large file size would mean that I can print A4 no

    problem.
    > Do I have to set the pixels per inch at the lower setting to get the A4
    > borderless print and will it not mean the picture is of poorer quality

    doing
    > that.
    >
    > How does Easy Photo print manage to print it okay then? Can someone
    > enlighten me on what I should be doing please. Obviously I've not

    understood
    > the procedure along the way.
    >
    > --
    > Lynn
    > Remove Spam Trap if replying personally

    I suggest you upgrade to PSP 8. It makes this whole process much easier.

    Marvin Margoshes, Sep 13, 2003
  18. What?? Is there already a PS8? Why wasn't I told? :)

    In article <>, Marvin Margoshes
    <> writes

    >I suggest you upgrade to PSP 8. It makes this whole process much easier.

    Nobody

    nobody nowhere, Sep 13, 2003