Borderless printing question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John, Nov 10, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I have a new HP 7960 photo printer. When I first purchased it about a
    month ago, I was using my Kodak DC4800 (3.1MP) camera. Using HP's
    photo browsing software (being lazy, didn't try to play with either
    thumbs plus or photoshop or paint shop pro yet) I was able to select a
    file, hit the print icon, and in the properties then (running Windows
    XP) select the borderless printing option, sized paper 4x6, and
    landscape mode, and the print would come out perfectly every time.

    Last week I needed a new toy since my wife dropped the Kodak. So I
    purchased a Canon powershot S-50. Love it.

    However, last night I was printing out images of our new baby (hence
    the reason I got the new printer last month) and when I got to the
    files I created on the new camera, even going "borderless" I suddenly
    got a 1/4" white gap on the left side of the image, and about a 1/8"
    white gap on the right edge after printing.

    I've found an option in the printer properties for "autofit
    borderless", but that does it's own cropping, thus what I see when I
    print isn't what actually gets printed. not a big issue for a shot
    where something is centered and the little cropping around the edges
    that this process does automatically won't hack off something
    critical, but some of my shots are formatted with things I want to
    keep along the edges.

    I'm assuming that it has to do with aspect ratio or pixel size (using
    the S-50 at JPG settings of Large (2592x1944) and Superfine
    compression (highest available quality other than RAW). Nets me like
    70 pics on my 256MB card.

    I don't recall offhand what my Kodak's pixel count was. Looking at
    the properties in Windows Explorer for a pic I took with it, looks
    like it might be 2160x1440.

    Having enough tools to do whatever modifications I might need to do to
    get these to fit fine, what's the easiest way for me to get my images
    configured properly so that I'll hit a 4X6 card as shown, without
    having to have it auto-fit? Is this just a question of using
    something like photoshop or anything else and forcing it to a certain
    aspect ratio? is there a way for me to do this without screwing up
    the picture?

    Thanks for any info. Plenty of tools, not nearly enough knowledge yet
    (though I'm working on that part).

    John

    John, Nov 10, 2003

  2. "John" <> wrote in message
    > I have a new HP 7960 photo printer. When I first purchased it about a
    > month ago, I was using my Kodak DC4800 (3.1MP) camera. Using HP's
    > photo browsing software (being lazy, didn't try to play with either
    > thumbs plus or photoshop or paint shop pro yet) I was able to select a
    > file, hit the print icon, and in the properties then (running Windows
    > XP) select the borderless printing option, sized paper 4x6, and
    > landscape mode, and the print would come out perfectly every time.
    >
    > Last week I needed a new toy since my wife dropped the Kodak. So I
    > purchased a Canon powershot S-50. Love it.
    >
    > However, last night I was printing out images of our new baby (hence
    > the reason I got the new printer last month) and when I got to the
    > files I created on the new camera, even going "borderless" I suddenly
    > got a 1/4" white gap on the left side of the image, and about a 1/8"
    > white gap on the right edge after printing.
    >
    > I've found an option in the printer properties for "autofit
    > borderless", but that does it's own cropping, thus what I see when I
    > print isn't what actually gets printed. not a big issue for a shot
    > where something is centered and the little cropping around the edges
    > that this process does automatically won't hack off something
    > critical, but some of my shots are formatted with things I want to
    > keep along the edges.
    >
    > I'm assuming that it has to do with aspect ratio or pixel size (using
    > the S-50 at JPG settings of Large (2592x1944) and Superfine
    > compression (highest available quality other than RAW). Nets me like
    > 70 pics on my 256MB card.
    >
    > I don't recall offhand what my Kodak's pixel count was. Looking at
    > the properties in Windows Explorer for a pic I took with it, looks
    > like it might be 2160x1440.

    Well, that's probably your answer. If your numbers are correct, the Kodak
    had a 3:2 aspect ratio; the same as a 4x6 print. The Canon you just got has
    a 4:3 aspect ratio, so either you end up with some "white frame" on the
    sides of the print (a combined total of 0.67"), or you have to crop some top
    and bottom.

    If full frame is really your bag, just pick up a paper trimmer and enjoy
    your 4x5.33 prints.

    - jz

    Jeff Zawrotny, Nov 10, 2003