    I do not actually intend to use this printer for printing photos but I
    figured this group would have experience with printing at this size.

    Thanks in advance.
    Grant Robertson, Dec 8, 2006

  2. Grant Robertson

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>, Grant
    Robertson <> wrote:

    > I need a printer that will do borderless or edge to edge printing on a
    > standard 3 x 5 index card. I have designed a flashcard system that relies
    > on being able to print color coded blocks right up to the edge of the
    > card for easy selection of desired cards. I need a printer that will
    > print those cards without scaling up the size of the image on the card.
    > If I have designed my card to be EXACTLY 3 x 5 then that is exactly what
    > I want to print, right up to the edge.
    >
    > I would prefer a relatively inexpensive printer as I plan to recommend
    > this to students for use in printing these cards.
    >
    > I do not actually intend to use this printer for printing photos but I
    > figured this group would have experience with printing at this size.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Would it not be easier (and cheaper) to find some of the die-cut 3x5
    cards that go through a printer at a normal paper size (like 2 cards on
    a letter sized sheet). That way, you could do bleed printing right
    over thhe edge of the die-cut, and simply pop your cards out.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard
    Ken Lucke, Dec 8, 2006

  3. > Would it not be easier (and cheaper) to find some of the die-cut 3x5
    > cards that go through a printer at a normal paper size (like 2 cards on
    > a letter sized sheet). That way, you could do bleed printing right
    > over thhe edge of the die-cut, and simply pop your cards out.

    This company has lots of products and might be helpful:
    http://www.avery.com/
    Charles Schuler, Dec 8, 2006
  4. Grant Robertson

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 16:23:01 -0600, Grant Robertson wrote:

    > I need a printer that will do borderless or edge to edge printing on a
    > standard 3 x 5 index card. I have designed a flashcard system that relies
    > on being able to print color coded blocks right up to the edge of the
    > card for easy selection of desired cards. I need a printer that will
    > print those cards without scaling up the size of the image on the card.
    > If I have designed my card to be EXACTLY 3 x 5 then that is exactly what
    > I want to print, right up to the edge.
    >
    > I would prefer a relatively inexpensive printer as I plan to recommend
    > this to students for use in printing these cards.
    >
    > I do not actually intend to use this printer for printing photos but I
    > figured this group would have experience with printing at this size.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    There are several printers which will do edge to edge printing on whatever
    size paper they handle. I've done full prints on 3x5 and 8.5x11 on my
    Epson R320. Of course you'll need for the driver to support that as well.
    The R320 will also print images from memory cards with no computer.
    ray, Dec 8, 2006
  5. In article <081220061508406321%>, ken@glass-
    stones.com says...
    > Would it not be easier (and cheaper) to find some of the die-cut 3x5
    > cards that go through a printer at a normal paper size (like 2 cards on
    > a letter sized sheet). That way, you could do bleed printing right
    > over thhe edge of the die-cut, and simply pop your cards out.

    No, these sheets of cards are insanely expensive. With the large volume
    of cards I expect to print it would be far more cost effective to invest
    in a different printer. Especially if I can find a cheap one that will do
    the job.
    Grant Robertson, Dec 9, 2006
  6. In article <>,
    says...
    > There are several printers which will do edge to edge printing on whatever
    > size paper they handle. I've done full prints on 3x5 and 8.5x11 on my
    > Epson R320. Of course you'll need for the driver to support that as well.
    > The R320 will also print images from memory cards with no computer.

    Wouldn't you know, I have an Epson R200. It will not do borderless
    printing on 3x5. It will work on 3.5x5 or a 4x6 but it will not work on a
    3x5 at all. I can't find 3.5x5 index cards anywhere. Apparently, 3.5x5 is
    a popular size for photo prints so the printers handle that size.
    However, plain index cards only come in 3x5 or 4x6.

    Are you positive your R320 will print edge to edge on 3x5 index cards? I
    looked at the Epson web site and the R340 (R320 not available)
    specifically only does borderless prints on 4" x 6", 5" x 7", 8" x 10",
    letter (copied straight from their web site).
    Grant Robertson, Dec 9, 2006
  7. Grant Robertson

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Grant Robertson <> writes:
    > > Would it not be easier (and cheaper) to find some of the die-cut 3x5
    > > cards that go through a printer at a normal paper size (like 2 cards on
    > > a letter sized sheet). That way, you could do bleed printing right
    > > over thhe edge of the die-cut, and simply pop your cards out.

    > No, these sheets of cards are insanely expensive. With the large volume
    > of cards I expect to print it would be far more cost effective to invest
    > in a different printer. Especially if I can find a cheap one that will do
    > the job.

    You should be able to print four 3x5 cards on a letter sized sheet of
    cardstock paper, then cut the paper with a bulk paper trimmer (a/k/a
    stack cutter). Those cutters are not cheap but if you're really doing
    large volumes of printing you may want to invest in one.
    Alternatively you might be able to get the cutting done at a copy shop
    or print shop that has such a cutter.
    Paul Rubin, Dec 9, 2006
  8. Grant Robertson

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Grant Robertson <> writes:
    > Wouldn't you know, I have an Epson R200. It will not do borderless
    > printing on 3x5. It will work on 3.5x5 or a 4x6 but it will not work on a
    > 3x5 at all. I can't find 3.5x5 index cards anywhere. Apparently, 3.5x5 is
    > a popular size for photo prints so the printers handle that size.
    > However, plain index cards only come in 3x5 or 4x6.

    Buy some 4x6 cards, take them to a print shop with an electric stack
    cutter and have the cards cut to the size you want.
    Paul Rubin, Dec 9, 2006
  9. Grant Robertson

    JC Dill Guest

    On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 21:15:17 -0600, Grant Robertson
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >> There are several printers which will do edge to edge printing on whatever
    >> size paper they handle. I've done full prints on 3x5 and 8.5x11 on my
    >> Epson R320. Of course you'll need for the driver to support that as well.
    >> The R320 will also print images from memory cards with no computer.

    >Wouldn't you know, I have an Epson R200. It will not do borderless
    >printing on 3x5. It will work on 3.5x5 or a 4x6 but it will not work on a
    >3x5 at all. I can't find 3.5x5 index cards anywhere. Apparently, 3.5x5 is
    >a popular size for photo prints so the printers handle that size.
    >However, plain index cards only come in 3x5 or 4x6.

    What happens if you make a file that fits on a 3x5, load the printer
    with 3x5 paper, but tell the printer you are printing on 4x6 paper?
    (Make sure "center image on paper" is not checked).

    jc

    ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA
    JC Dill, Dec 9, 2006
  10. Grant Robertson

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 23:12:59 -0800, JC Dill <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 21:15:17 -0600, Grant Robertson
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >>says...
    >>> There are several printers which will do edge to edge printing on whatever
    >>> size paper they handle. I've done full prints on 3x5 and 8.5x11 on my
    >>> Epson R320. Of course you'll need for the driver to support that as well.
    >>> The R320 will also print images from memory cards with no computer.

    >>Wouldn't you know, I have an Epson R200. It will not do borderless
    >>printing on 3x5. It will work on 3.5x5 or a 4x6 but it will not work on a
    >>3x5 at all. I can't find 3.5x5 index cards anywhere. Apparently, 3.5x5 is
    >>a popular size for photo prints so the printers handle that size.
    >>However, plain index cards only come in 3x5 or 4x6.

    >What happens if you make a file that fits on a 3x5, load the printer
    >with 3x5 paper, but tell the printer you are printing on 4x6 paper?
    >(Make sure "center image on paper" is not checked).
    >
    >jc

    The wasted ink has to go somewhere - usually on the roller under the
    paper. And it doesn't dry quickly on the roller.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Dec 9, 2006
  11. Grant Robertson

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>, JC Dill
    <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 21:15:17 -0600, Grant Robertson
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > >says...
    > >> There are several printers which will do edge to edge printing on whatever
    > >> size paper they handle. I've done full prints on 3x5 and 8.5x11 on my
    > >> Epson R320. Of course you'll need for the driver to support that as well.
    > >> The R320 will also print images from memory cards with no computer.

    > >Wouldn't you know, I have an Epson R200. It will not do borderless
    > >printing on 3x5. It will work on 3.5x5 or a 4x6 but it will not work on a
    > >3x5 at all. I can't find 3.5x5 index cards anywhere. Apparently, 3.5x5 is
    > >a popular size for photo prints so the printers handle that size.
    > >However, plain index cards only come in 3x5 or 4x6.

    > What happens if you make a file that fits on a 3x5, load the printer
    > with 3x5 paper, but tell the printer you are printing on 4x6 paper?
    > (Make sure "center image on paper" is not checked).

    Actually, you'd probably have to make the file to be a 4x6 image, with
    empty space around the 3x5 correctly positioned in it (some
    experimentation would be needed with the individual printer) for this
    to work. Otherwise, the printer or software might try to resize the
    3x5 image to fit the 4x6

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard
    Ken Lucke, Dec 9, 2006
  12. Grant Robertson

    JC Dill Guest

    On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 09:19:58 -0700, Bill Funk <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 23:12:59 -0800, JC Dill <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 21:15:17 -0600, Grant Robertson
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <>,
    >>>says...
    >>>
    >>>Wouldn't you know, I have an Epson R200. It will not do borderless
    >>>printing on 3x5. It will work on 3.5x5 or a 4x6 but it will not work on a
    >>>3x5 at all. I can't find 3.5x5 index cards anywhere. Apparently, 3.5x5 is
    >>>a popular size for photo prints so the printers handle that size.
    >>>However, plain index cards only come in 3x5 or 4x6.

    >>What happens if you make a file that fits on a 3x5, load the printer
    >>with 3x5 paper, but tell the printer you are printing on 4x6 paper?
    >>(Make sure "center image on paper" is not checked).
    >>
    >>jc

    >The wasted ink has to go somewhere - usually on the roller under the
    >paper. And it doesn't dry quickly on the roller.

    There is no wasted ink because the image size matches the size of the
    paper you are using. You just tell the printer it has paper that is
    bigger than the size you are actually using, but you don't set the
    file to print larger than the paper you ARE using.

    JC Dill, Dec 9, 2006
  13. Grant Robertson

    JC Dill Guest

    On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 08:32:36 -0800, Ken Lucke <>
    wrote:

    >> What happens if you make a file that fits on a 3x5, load the printer
    >> with 3x5 paper, but tell the printer you are printing on 4x6 paper?
    >> (Make sure "center image on paper" is not checked).

    >Actually, you'd probably have to make the file to be a 4x6 image, with
    >empty space around the 3x5 correctly positioned in it (some
    >experimentation would be needed with the individual printer) for this
    >to work. Otherwise, the printer or software might try to resize the
    >3x5 image to fit the 4x6

    You make sure that both your printer and your software are properly
    configured to print the file at the size you have it set for.

    Try this:

    Set a file to be 4x6 inches.

    Load your printer with 2 pieces of paper, the first piece is 4x6, the
    second piece is 8x10.

    Tell the software to print 2 copies of the file on "4x6 paper"

    The second copy is going to be a 4x6 image on the 8x10 paper.

    JC Dill, Dec 9, 2006
  14. Grant Robertson

    Robert Haar Guest

    On 12/8/06 10:15 PM, "Grant Robertson" <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> There are several printers which will do edge to edge printing on whatever
    >> size paper they handle. I've done full prints on 3x5 and 8.5x11 on my
    >> Epson R320. Of course you'll need for the driver to support that as well.
    >> The R320 will also print images from memory cards with no computer.

    > Wouldn't you know, I have an Epson R200. It will not do borderless
    > printing on 3x5. It will work on 3.5x5 or a 4x6 but it will not work on a
    > 3x5 at all. I can't find 3.5x5 index cards anywhere. Apparently, 3.5x5 is
    > a popular size for photo prints so the printers handle that size.
    > However, plain index cards only come in 3x5 or 4x6.

    That sounds like an issue with the software on your computer, not the
    printer. If the printer can physically handle borderless printing at 3.5x5,
    then the mechanism should also work at 3x5.

    On my computer ( a Mac running OSX 10.4) and a Canon i6600 printer, there
    are preset defaults for 4x6 borderless, but I can do a custom page size and
    set the borders down to zero.
    Robert Haar, Dec 9, 2006
  15. Grant Robertson

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <C1A08166.21C174%>, Robert Haar
    <> wrote:

    > On 12/8/06 10:15 PM, "Grant Robertson" <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >> There are several printers which will do edge to edge printing on whatever
    > >> size paper they handle. I've done full prints on 3x5 and 8.5x11 on my
    > >> Epson R320. Of course you'll need for the driver to support that as well.
    > >> The R320 will also print images from memory cards with no computer.

    > > Wouldn't you know, I have an Epson R200. It will not do borderless
    > > printing on 3x5. It will work on 3.5x5 or a 4x6 but it will not work on a
    > > 3x5 at all. I can't find 3.5x5 index cards anywhere. Apparently, 3.5x5 is
    > > a popular size for photo prints so the printers handle that size.
    > > However, plain index cards only come in 3x5 or 4x6.

    > That sounds like an issue with the software on your computer, not the
    > printer. If the printer can physically handle borderless printing at 3.5x5,
    > then the mechanism should also work at 3x5.
    >
    > On my computer ( a Mac running OSX 10.4) and a Canon i6600 printer, there
    > are preset defaults for 4x6 borderless, but I can do a custom page size and
    > set the borders down to zero.

    that's fine, except that some printers have built-in presets that can
    do borderless at some sizes, but they refuse to do them in other sizes.
    I've run into this before with printers.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard
    Ken Lucke, Dec 9, 2006
  16. Grant Robertson

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 21:15:17 -0600, Grant Robertson wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> There are several printers which will do edge to edge printing on whatever
    >> size paper they handle. I've done full prints on 3x5 and 8.5x11 on my
    >> Epson R320. Of course you'll need for the driver to support that as well.
    >> The R320 will also print images from memory cards with no computer.

    > Wouldn't you know, I have an Epson R200. It will not do borderless
    > printing on 3x5. It will work on 3.5x5 or a 4x6 but it will not work on a
    > 3x5 at all. I can't find 3.5x5 index cards anywhere. Apparently, 3.5x5 is
    > a popular size for photo prints so the printers handle that size.
    > However, plain index cards only come in 3x5 or 4x6.
    >
    > Are you positive your R320 will print edge to edge on 3x5 index cards? I
    > looked at the Epson web site and the R340 (R320 not available)
    > specifically only does borderless prints on 4" x 6", 5" x 7", 8" x 10",
    > letter (copied straight from their web site).

    You're right - that's what the display on the printer shows. I've not
    looked at the driver settings recently.
    ray, Dec 10, 2006
  17. Grant Robertson

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 09:27:35 -0800, JC Dill <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 09:19:58 -0700, Bill Funk <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 23:12:59 -0800, JC Dill <> wrote:

    >>>What happens if you make a file that fits on a 3x5, load the printer
    >>>with 3x5 paper, but tell the printer you are printing on 4x6 paper?
    >>>(Make sure "center image on paper" is not checked).
    >>>
    >>>jc

    >>The wasted ink has to go somewhere - usually on the roller under the
    >>paper. And it doesn't dry quickly on the roller.

    >There is no wasted ink because the image size matches the size of the
    >paper you are using. You just tell the printer it has paper that is
    >bigger than the size you are actually using, but you don't set the
    >file to print larger than the paper you ARE using.
    >
    >jc

    Ah, sorry. My bad.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Dec 10, 2006
  18. In article <>, Paul Rubin
    <http://> says...
    > You should be able to print four 3x5 cards on a letter sized sheet of
    > cardstock paper, then cut the paper with a bulk paper trimmer (a/k/a
    > stack cutter).

    Thought of that too. But it is too hard to get them to all be exactly the
    same size. When you are shuffling a stack of flashcards they all have to
    be exactly the same size.
    Grant Robertson, Dec 11, 2006
  19. Grant Robertson

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Grant Robertson <> writes:
    > Thought of that too. But it is too hard to get them to all be exactly the
    > same size. When you are shuffling a stack of flashcards they all have to
    > be exactly the same size.

    If you use a stack cutter it should be quite precise. It's nothing
    like the kind of paper cutter that you'd find in an office. It's
    basically how they make those cards in the first place.

    http://images.google.com/images?q=stack cutter

    shows some photos of tabletop ones. A print shop will probably have a
    more serious and larger electric one.
    Paul Rubin, Dec 11, 2006
  20. In article <C1A08166.21C174%>,
    says...
    > That sounds like an issue with the software on your computer, not the
    > printer. If the printer can physically handle borderless printing at 3.5x5,
    > then the mechanism should also work at 3x5.

    In a way, you are correct. That software is the driver. I am pretty sure
    my driver will not let me set a page size of 3x5. If I recall correctly,
    it won't allow a size of less than 3.5x5.

    I have been e-mailing a rep at HP and they told me that the hardware
    itself can only do borderless printing at certain preset page sizes. So
    even though the specs on the web page say "up to 4x6" or "up to 13x19"
    what they really mean is only preset sizes up to those sizes. On most HP
    printers that say "up to 4x6" what they don't tell you is that is the
    only size in the specified list. This is even though the minimum size you
    can print is 3x5. It just won't do borderless at 3x5.

    I think there is something that they do special in either the hardware,
    the control electronics within the hardware, or the driver software that
    only works for these sizes. One thing I do know is, when I print
    borderless on my Epson R200, it expands the size of the image just a
    little bit. I believe this is to ensure that the ink goes all the way to
    the edge. If I just created an image of the same size as the paper and
    printed it with no margins or scaling then it would not ALWAYS print
    right up to the edge due to paper alignment problems. For photos and for
    my system of printing colored tabs on the edges of flashcards it is
    important that the ink go all the way up to the edge of the card.

    > On my computer ( a Mac running OSX 10.4) and a Canon i6600 printer, there
    > are preset defaults for 4x6 borderless, but I can do a custom page size and
    > set the borders down to zero.

    I think you have a pretty high end model. It may be made to do borderless
    printing at any size. If so that would be very nice.
    Grant Robertson, Dec 11, 2006