Bootvis for WindowsXP-64??

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Kyle Koch, Jun 17, 2008.

  1. Kyle Koch

    Kyle Koch Guest

    Hey guys. Great info here in the newsgroup and hopefully you guys have a
    quick solution to my problem.

    First of let me get the system specs out of the way:

    For a detailed EVEREST Dump please click here:
    http://kylekoch012186.googlepages.com/SySpec.htm
    (***Some of the details in this Everest Report are innacurate. The "Smart
    FAIL" is present due to SMART being disabled***)

    Quick Break down:

    WinXP64 (2002) on
    Asus M2N4-SLi Mobo (nForce4 Chipset)
    AMD X2 6000+ (@3.1Ghz)
    4GB DDR2-800 (A-DATA)
    2x - 80GB [Hitachi] (SATA-2) For Windows and
    operating software
    2x - 120GB [1xSeagate_1xMaxtor] (u-ATA133) For Data
    1x - 250GB [Western Digital] (SATA-2) For Data
    Nvidia GF7600GTSOC (256MB GDDR3)

    This system has been rock solid for over 3 years. I never really paid
    attention to how long it takes my system to shut down until recently. It
    takes over 5 minutes to shutdown. Bootup isnt a problem however at only ~45
    seconds. I do not know when the slow shutdowns started to occur. I had IIS
    and an SQL-server installed but have removed them to try and resolve the
    issue. Only to no avail.

    During the shutdown process, after clicking on shutdown windows will flash
    all of the standard log out stuff and then it sits at "Please Wait While
    Windows Shuts Down". The hard drive is blank for the first 4.5 minutes then
    goes crazy and the system shutsdown shortly after that.

    I have tried bootvis but like alot of other people out there i had no luck.
    Bootvis will restart the PC after running the trace and hangs on restart. I
    have to use task manager to shut it off.

    Is there a 64-bit version available? If not does anyone have any tips or
    ideas about where to look for clues as to what might be cause the slow
    shutdowns?

    Any input will be very helpful. Thanks in advance for taking the time to
    look at my problem.

    Kyle

    Kyle Koch, Jun 17, 2008

  2. I would have a good look at my 'Event Log' for warnings and errors that seem
    to have started within the time-frame that you think is sufficiently
    ´'recent', plus going over 'Device Manager' to see if there are any marked
    icons that you think don't belong there.

    If this doesn't help, I would disconnect things that are attached to the
    machine - internally as well as externally, in short everything the machine
    doesn't need to boot, if that helps start putting things back one-by-one to
    see when it starts going bad again.

    If you Flashed your BIOS 'recently', the process may have reset to the
    defaults, so go over that as well, and make a complete system-wide
    defragmentation to all disks!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 17, 2008

  3. Kyle Koch

    Carlos Guest

    Kyle,
    Try event viewer in order to check what is taking so long to close.
    You can easily access event viewer by clicking Start, Run, typing
    eventvwr.msc and pressing ENTER.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 17, 2008