    What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows boot
    up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all complete
    - desktop icons all there - ready to go?

    judith, Jan 5, 2009

  2. judith <> wrote in message
    news::

    > What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows boot
    > up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all complete
    > - desktop icons all there - ready to go?

    That will depend on what you have starting up.

    To see what might be slowing Windows startup run Microsoft's Bootvis - it
    will show your programs/services starting and the over all time it take to
    do so, end to end.

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=bootvis&btnG=Google Search&meta=

    There are utilities which also enable you to set the order inwhich you might
    want 'ptograms' to start up at boot time.

    Roselin Westbrook, Jan 5, 2009

  3. On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 12:42:06 +0000, judith <>
    wrote:

    >What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows boot
    >up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all complete
    >- desktop icons all there - ready to go?

    My main XP system takes 45 seconds and my backup XP takes 50 seconds.

    Steve

    --
    Neural Planner Software Ltd http://www.NPSL1.com

    A Yahoo group is available to allow users to exchange ideas.

    Send a message to to subscribe

    Stephen Wolstenholme, Jan 5, 2009
  4. Stephen Wolstenholme <> wrote in message

    > On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 12:42:06 +0000, judith <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows boot
    >> up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all
    >> complete - desktop icons all there - ready to go?

    > My main XP system takes 45 seconds and my backup XP takes 50 seconds.

    Your backup XP? On a different machine, no programs or services running or
    installed? SP2 or SP3?

    Taylor Goglan, Jan 5, 2009
  5. judith <> wrote in message

    > What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows boot
    > up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all complete
    > - desktop icons all there - ready to go?

    Clean install of XP 23 seconds.

    A bloated XP system SP2 93 seconds

    A bloated system SP3 74 seconds

    A clean system with no patches, Office, AV, FW, internet connection
    (starting) 58 seconds

    Are you any the wiser now?

    Cyril Waldrip, Jan 5, 2009
  6. judith

    judith Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 08:23:06 -0500, "Cyril Waldrip"
    <> wrote:

    >judith <> wrote in message
    >
    >> What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows boot
    >> up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all complete
    >> - desktop icons all there - ready to go?

    >Clean install of XP 23 seconds.
    >
    >A bloated XP system SP2 93 seconds
    >
    >A bloated system SP3 74 seconds
    >
    >A clean system with no patches, Office, AV, FW, internet connection
    >(starting) 58 seconds
    >
    >Are you any the wiser now?

    Thank you.

    Yes I am the wiser because I can now see what others get and what may
    be reasonable and what may be unreasonable.

    Are you a fuckwit?

    judith, Jan 5, 2009
  7. judith

    Liam Harper Guest

    judith prattled:

    > On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 08:23:06 -0500, "Cyril Waldrip"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> judith <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows
    >>> boot up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all
    >>> complete - desktop icons all there - ready to go?

    >> Clean install of XP 23 seconds.
    >>
    >> A bloated XP system SP2 93 seconds
    >>
    >> A bloated system SP3 74 seconds
    >>
    >> A clean system with no patches, Office, AV, FW, internet connection
    >> (starting) 58 seconds
    >>
    >> Are you any the wiser now?

    > Thank you.

    Don't thank him, he wouldn't know what to do with you.

    > Yes I am the wiser because I can now see what others get and what may
    > be reasonable and what may be unreasonable.

    Oh good, it's so reassuring to know that you will cum bucket loads when
    after I've slapped you around the chops with me donger.

    > Are you a fuckwit?

    Well, actually some have indeed alluded to that on more than one occasion of
    him - do you know him personally?

    Liam Harper, Jan 5, 2009
  8. judith

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 08:03:19 -0600, Jimchip wrote:

    > On 2009-01-05, judith <> wrote:
    >>
    >> What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows boot
    >> up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all complete
    >> - desktop icons all there - ready to go?

    > Oh, about the time it takes to go back downstairs, get that first cup of
    > coffee and butter the toast, then walk back upstairs. YMMV.

    What? No marmalade?

    --
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YXTN3h-b9nU

    Aardvark, Jan 5, 2009
  9. judith

    catchme Guest

    judith wrote:

    > What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows boot
    > up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all complete
    > - desktop icons all there - ready to go?

    variables such as speed of hard drive, cpu, level of fragmentation on
    drive(s), startup applications, etc. comprise of varying boot times.
    This, and a noticeable increase will occur naturally as a computer ages,
    particularly when comparing with a brand new o/s with virtually nothing
    installed on it, running on the latest hardware as seen on store shelves....

    catchme, Jan 5, 2009
  10. judith

    John Holmes Guest

    judith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows boot
    > up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all complete
    > - desktop icons all there - ready to go?

    My Toshiba laptop (2.8G, 1Gb mem) boots straight into the desktop in
    exactly 15 seconds. Ofcourse I don't run any services or programs on bootup
    but start them manually when I need them.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Jan 5, 2009
  11. judith

    Keyser Söze Guest

    John Holmes <> wrote in message

    > judith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >

    >> What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows boot
    >> up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all
    >> complete - desktop icons all there - ready to go?

    > My Toshiba laptop (2.8G, 1Gb mem) boots straight into the desktop in
    > exactly 15 seconds. Ofcourse I don't run any services or programs on
    > bootup but start them manually when I need them.

    You kunt! Wanna swap?

    Keyser Söze, Jan 5, 2009
  12. judith

    PeeCee Guest

    "judith" <> wrote in message

    > What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows boot
    > up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all complete
    > - desktop icons all there - ready to go?

    Judith

    It all depends on exactly how you define 'complete'

    Valid or not I recently did some timing tests on a Laptop to show the owner
    the need to install some more RAM.
    (he didn't believe RAM could make that much difference, hence the need to
    prove it)
    The boot up was deemed 'complete' when the hard drive light stopped lighting
    full time and settled down to the odd flicker.
    This point was chosen as being the time when the Laptop was as responsive as
    it could possibly be.
    (i.e. to be useable without waiting for things to happen)

    Now this Laptop was in reasonable condition OS wise (XP Home) but was 'slow'
    because it lacked RAM.
    CPU was a Sempron 3000 the 256MB RAM was down to 128 MB because someone had
    set the onboard Video Cardto use the rest.
    Configured like this it took 11 minutes to startup and be useable.
    Cutting the Video RAM to 32MB (giving the OS 224MB) improved the startup to
    7 minutes odd.
    After adding a 1GB RAM (to give the OS 1224 MB) the startup came down to
    just under 3 minutes
    Using Auto Runs to disable as many of the startup programs as possible
    reduced that to 1 minute 40 seconds.
    (Timings are what I remember, the bits of paper with the actual figures have
    long since been binned)

    Needless to say the owner now saw the light and was happy to pay for the
    extra RAM.
    We reenabled the startup programs otherwise there would have been no AV etc
    running.

    As an adjunct to the above I have observed over many years now how early
    versions of Windows running on the latest (at the time) hardware were quite
    responsive.
    However as the service packs and patches were applied Windows goes slower
    and slower.
    The only remedy apart from getting faster hardware is to add RAM and lots of
    it.
    For example give XP 1GB or more and it runs quite well even with SP3.

    Vista of course is another animal all together.
    Even with the maximum amount of available RAM (4GB in the case of 32 bit
    Vista) Vista takes forever to start up.
    As for those 'Vista Ready' Laptops with Celeron and Sempron CPU's and 512MB
    of RAM!!!!!!
    It will be interesting to see where MS goes with Windows 7 as with cheap RAM
    so plentifull they can no longer hide behind the 'excuse' of paging slowing
    the OS.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jan 6, 2009
  13. PeeCee castigated:

    > "judith" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows boot
    >> up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all
    >> complete - desktop icons all there - ready to go?

    > Judith
    >
    > It all depends on exactly how you define 'complete'
    >
    > Valid or not I recently did some timing tests on a Laptop to show the
    > owner the need to install some more RAM.
    > (he didn't believe RAM could make that much difference, hence the
    > need to prove it)
    > The boot up was deemed 'complete' when the hard drive light stopped
    > lighting full time and settled down to the odd flicker.
    > This point was chosen as being the time when the Laptop was as
    > responsive as it could possibly be.
    > (i.e. to be useable without waiting for things to happen)
    >
    > Now this Laptop was in reasonable condition OS wise (XP Home) but was
    > 'slow' because it lacked RAM.
    > CPU was a Sempron 3000 the 256MB RAM was down to 128 MB because
    > someone had set the onboard Video Cardto use the rest.
    > Configured like this it took 11 minutes to startup and be useable.
    > Cutting the Video RAM to 32MB (giving the OS 224MB) improved the
    > startup to 7 minutes odd.
    > After adding a 1GB RAM (to give the OS 1224 MB) the startup came down
    > to just under 3 minutes
    > Using Auto Runs to disable as many of the startup programs as possible
    > reduced that to 1 minute 40 seconds.
    > (Timings are what I remember, the bits of paper with the actual
    > figures have long since been binned)
    >
    > Needless to say the owner now saw the light and was happy to pay for
    > the extra RAM.
    > We reenabled the startup programs otherwise there would have been no
    > AV etc running.
    >
    > As an adjunct to the above I have observed over many years now how
    > early versions of Windows running on the latest (at the time)
    > hardware were quite responsive.
    > However as the service packs and patches were applied Windows goes
    > slower and slower.
    > The only remedy apart from getting faster hardware is to add RAM and
    > lots of it.
    > For example give XP 1GB or more and it runs quite well even with SP3.
    >
    > Vista of course is another animal all together.
    > Even with the maximum amount of available RAM (4GB in the case of 32
    > bit Vista) Vista takes forever to start up.
    > As for those 'Vista Ready' Laptops with Celeron and Sempron CPU's and
    > 512MB of RAM!!!!!!
    > It will be interesting to see where MS goes with Windows 7 as with
    > cheap RAM so plentifull they can no longer hide behind the 'excuse'
    > of paging slowing the OS.
    >

    > Best
    > Paul.

    LMARO

    Florinda Golihugh, Jan 6, 2009
  14. judith

    judith Guest

    On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 00:12:35 +1300, "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    <good stuff snipped>

    >Paul.

    Excellent - that was just the sort of info/discussion I was hoping
    for.

    What do you mean by "Auto Runs to disable as many of the startup
    programs"

    I have 2G memory XP SP3 - do you think upping memory would be
    noticeable?

    judith, Jan 6, 2009
  15. judith

    PeeCee Guest

    "judith" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 00:12:35 +1300, "PeeCee" <> wrote:
    >
    > <good stuff snipped>
    >
    >>Paul.

    > Excellent - that was just the sort of info/discussion I was hoping
    > for.
    >
    > What do you mean by "Auto Runs to disable as many of the startup
    > programs"
    >
    > I have 2G memory XP SP3 - do you think upping memory would be
    > noticeable?

    Judith

    Autoruns is a creation of Mark Rustinovich, the guy who discovered and
    proved Sony was secretly infecting thousands of computers with Rootkits.
    Mark now works for Microsoft but was smart enough to isolate his utility
    programs from Microsofts 'Embrace and Engulf' policy.
    A very bright guy.

    Autoruns allows you to see just what applications and services are started
    when you turn your PC on.
    It is able to find quite obscure startup locations and show what is starting
    up every time you turn your PC on.
    It is not a program to go willy nilly unticking things without some
    knowledge of what is what.
    i.e. Some startups are necessary for the proper running of your PC and
    should 'not' be disabled.
    Downloadable from here
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

    A safer alternative is Mike Lins 'Startup Control Panel' which creates an
    icon in the Control Panel where you can disable startup items with relative
    safety.
    It doesn't list the deeper more harmfull startups that Autoruns does.
    Can be obtained from here http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    With both programs the idea is by unticking the box beside each entry, when
    Windows restarts Windows does not start the unticked program or service.
    For example if your system tray has a Quicktime icon, unticking it in
    Autoruns/SCP means the icon does not show in the system tray after
    restarting the PC.
    (though the next time you use Quicktime it is likely to reset this)
    Therefore by stopping various services automatically starting when Windows
    boots up you can find what is causing your PC to take so long to start.
    Note you will need to do this in a rather methodical way, and somewhere
    along the way you will have to choose between convenience and speed.
    The names are not allways obvious either, use Google to find out what
    something is.

    As for your XP PC I would think 2GB is going to give you as much performance
    as the hardware can give.
    If you crave maximum speed then the only way to get this with any given
    hardware is by simplifying what is loaded on your PC.
    One has to remember a PC works by doing several things a little bit at a
    time one after the other, the more things it has to do the longer it takes
    before it gets back to start again.

    Ideas:
    Scan for Spy/Malware (A Squared, Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware etc)
    Stop as many startups as possible.
    Have a Net only PC for surfing / emailing etc & build / buy a seperate PC
    for particular tasks eg video editing/ gaming/ photo editing & keep them
    'simple'
    Reinstall your OS afresh.
    Remove all the pretty little add on's that Dell/HP & co have a bad habit of
    installing as 'bonus' software.
    Don't install any AntiVirus or Anti Spyware utilities (by implication you
    can't then connect these PC's to the Net)
    Stick to the first release version of XP (no service packs) unless there is
    a hardware access issue that requires a particular service pack.
    (Again by implication you can not connect these PC's to the net as the
    average XP PC with the release version of XP on it will be infected with
    Virus's in less than 10 minutes after connecting to the Internet)

    As allways 'your mileage may vary'
    If you are running an old pickup loaded with builders junk there is no way
    you can make it go like a Ferrari!

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jan 6, 2009
  16. judith wrote:

    > What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows boot
    > up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all complete
    > - desktop icons all there - ready to go?

    Unnaceptable. Thats why I use BeOS.

    <nods>

    §ñühw¤£f, Jan 6, 2009
  17. judith

    judith Guest

    wrote:

    >What do people think are reasonable/acceptable/their own windows boot
    >up times - let's say until the windows startup process is all complete
    >- desktop icons all there - ready to go?

    Thanks to all who responded with sensible suggestions and comments (no
    thanks to the fuckwits who responded with nothing to contribute)

    I have got it down from two and a half minutes to just less than two -
    but obviously still tweaking to be done.

    I have also bought extra memory - really just because it was so cheap.

    I built my machine two years ago - 2 GB XMS2-6400 cost me 114 GB
    pounds

    I have just bought another two gig - identical to previous purchase
    and the total price was now 35 GBP !!!

    (I know that XP will not use it all - but I may resurrect my VISTA 64
    bit which I have never used after an initial attempt to)

    judith, Jan 9, 2009
  18. judith <> wrote in message

    > ON MON, 05 JAN 2009 12:42:06 +0000, JUDITH
    > <JUDITHSMITH@LI3V.........CO OMG.......UK> WROT3:

    > THX TO AL WHO R3SPOND3D WIT SENSIBL3 SUG3STIONS AND COMENTS (NO THX TO
    > TEH FUKWITS WHO R3SPONDED WIT NOTHNG TO CONTRIBUT3)

    > I HAVE GOT IT DOWN FROM TWO AND A HALF MINUTES TO JUST L3S THAN TWO -
    > BUT OBVIOUSLY STIL TW3KNG TO B DONE OMG.........

    > I HAV3 ALSO BOUGHT 3XTRA MEMORY - RILY JUST B/C IT WAS SO CH3P
    > WTF.........

    > I BUILT MAH MACHIEN TWO YERS AGO - 2 GB XMS2-6400 COST M3 114 GB
    > POUNDS

    > I HAV3 JUST BOUGHT ANOT3HR TWO GIG - IEDNTICAL TO PREVIOUS PURCHAS3
    > AND TEH TOTAL PRIEC WAS NOW 35 GBP !!2!3?!!

    > (I KNOW TAHT XP WIL NOT US3 IT AL - BUT I MAY RESURECT MAH VISTA 64
    > BIT WHICH I HAV3 N3VER US3D AFTER AN INITIAL AT3MPT TO)

    Flick your bean for me!

    Ammamaria Barwick-Morgin, Jan 9, 2009
  19. judith <> wrote in message

    > On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 12:42:06 +0000, jtdiuh <>
    > wtore:

    > Tkanhs to all who responded wtih slnsibee snggestious and ctmmenos (no
    > tkanhs to the ftckwius who responded wtih nnthiog to ctntribuoe)

    > I hvae got it dwon form two and a hlaf menutis to jsut lses tahn two -
    > but olviousby slitl tneakiwg to be dnoe.

    > I hvae aslo bhugot ertxa mrmoey - rlaley jsut bscauee it was so caehp.

    > I bliut my mnchiae two yraes ago - 2 GB XSM2-6400 csot me 114 GB
    > pdunos

    > I hvae jsut bhugot aeothnr two gig - iaenticdl to pueviors psrchaue
    > and the tatol pcire was now 35 GBP !!!

    > (I konw taht XP wlil not use it all - but I may rcsurreet my VTSIA 64
    > bit wcihh I hvae never uesd aetfr an iaitinl aptemtt to)

    'Let's be freined'?

    unrefined igloos, Jan 9, 2009
  20. judith <> wrote in message

    > Mon, 05 jan 2009 12:42:06 +0000, > wrote: on mon, 05
    > jan 2009 12:42:06 +0000000, judith <> wrote: on mon,
    > 05 jan 2009 112:42:06.

    > All who responded with nothing to thanks to thanks to contribute)
    > thanks to all who responded with sensible suggestions and contribute)
    > thanks to the fuckwith sensible suggestions and comments who responded
    > with sensible suggestions and contribute) thanks to comments (no
    > thaanks.

    > From tweaking to be done. i half minutes than tweaking to just less
    > than two and a have got it done. i half minutes to just less to be
    > down from two and a half minutes than tweaking to just less than
    > tweaking to just less than two.

    > Bought extra memory - really just because it was so cheap. i have also
    > cheap. i have also cheap. i have also bought extra memory - really
    > just beecause.

    > Built my machine two years ago - 2 gb pounds i built me 114 gb pounds
    > i built me 114 gb pounds i built me 114 gb pounds i built me 114 gb
    > pounds i bbuilt.

    > The total previous purchase and ther two gig - identical total price
    > was now 35 gbp !!! i have just bought another two gig - identical
    > previous purchase and ther two gig - identical price was now 35 gbp
    > !!! i have jjust.

    > Xp will - but i may resurrect my vista 64 bit which i have never use
    > it which i may resurrect my vista 64 bit all - but i may resurrect my
    > vista 64 bit which i may resurrect my vista 64 bit which i have never
    > use it which i may resurrect my vista 64 bit whiich.

    Judy, Judy, Judy... mind the door don't whack you in ya big fat are arse as
    ya leave sweety <ta ta>

    deplorable fart hole, Jan 9, 2009