Bootup problem (beep code)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dany P. Wu, Oct 13, 2005.

  1. Dany P. Wu

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I haven't had to deal with hardware problems for quite some time now.
    Unfortunately my run of good luck finally ran out on me :(

    Yesterday I decided to get another stick of RAM for my wife's comp, which
    has worked fine so far. Just thought doubling the memory would help with her
    graphics work.

    Anyway, in went the second stick of RAM and voila!!! It wouldn't boot up!
    Out came the latest addition and it *still* wouldn't boot up! Swapped the
    two modules around, individually, together, different slots, etc. Tried all
    the combinations and nothing worked!!

    Throughout the whole ordeal all I got was a 2 second beep, followed by
    around 5 second silence, then 2 second beep again, the cycle repeated again
    and again...

    Motherboard is an Albatron KM333 Pro, RAM modules were 512 MB DDR400,
    original one is A-Data brand, and the new one is V-Data. Both are generic
    brand stuff I imagine - they've always done the trick for me in the past.

    Any ideas what this could be? Hardware has always been a black art to me and
    this has just enforced the point. Frustrating blackbox stuff as far as I'm
    concerned.

    Any suggestions/help/comments will be immensely appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Dany.

    Dany P. Wu, Oct 13, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    says...

    > Any suggestions/help/comments will be immensely appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Dany.

    Google has this offering:

    but you knew that, I suppose. Memory error, yes, umm.

    Did you pay attention to putting it in the right way round?(there's a
    wee slot there). Did you make sure the stick is all the way in so the
    retaining clips at the end of the sockets are all the way in as far as
    they will go? Hope you were not carrying a big static charge when you
    first touched the mobo! RTFM to see if certain configurations are
    required when putting in several sticks.

    good luck, -P.

    Peter Huebner, Oct 13, 2005

  3. Dany P. Wu

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 23:43:40 +1300, "Dany P. Wu"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi everyone,
    >
    >I haven't had to deal with hardware problems for quite some time now.
    >Unfortunately my run of good luck finally ran out on me :(
    >
    >Yesterday I decided to get another stick of RAM for my wife's comp, which
    >has worked fine so far. Just thought doubling the memory would help with her
    >graphics work.
    >
    >Anyway, in went the second stick of RAM and voila!!! It wouldn't boot up!
    >Out came the latest addition and it *still* wouldn't boot up! Swapped the
    >two modules around, individually, together, different slots, etc. Tried all
    >the combinations and nothing worked!!
    >
    >Throughout the whole ordeal all I got was a 2 second beep, followed by
    >around 5 second silence, then 2 second beep again, the cycle repeated again
    >and again...
    >
    >Motherboard is an Albatron KM333 Pro, RAM modules were 512 MB DDR400,
    >original one is A-Data brand, and the new one is V-Data. Both are generic
    >brand stuff I imagine - they've always done the trick for me in the past.
    >
    >Any ideas what this could be? Hardware has always been a black art to me and
    >this has just enforced the point. Frustrating blackbox stuff as far as I'm
    >concerned.
    >
    >Any suggestions/help/comments will be immensely appreciated.

    I understand Vdata RAM is crap, better to have both the same. Try
    pulling out the CMOS battery for a minute or so, put it back in then
    try the original stick of RAM again. You me have to reset certain
    settings, like boot order, etc.

    GraB, Oct 13, 2005
  4. Dany P. Wu

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I haven't had to deal with hardware problems for quite some time now.
    > Unfortunately my run of good luck finally ran out on me :(
    >
    > Yesterday I decided to get another stick of RAM for my wife's comp, which
    > has worked fine so far. Just thought doubling the memory would help with her
    > graphics work.
    >
    > Anyway, in went the second stick of RAM and voila!!! It wouldn't boot up!
    > Out came the latest addition and it *still* wouldn't boot up! Swapped the
    > two modules around, individually, together, different slots, etc. Tried all
    > the combinations and nothing worked!!
    >
    > Throughout the whole ordeal all I got was a 2 second beep, followed by
    > around 5 second silence, then 2 second beep again, the cycle repeated again
    > and again...
    >
    > Motherboard is an Albatron KM333 Pro, RAM modules were 512 MB DDR400,
    > original one is A-Data brand, and the new one is V-Data. Both are generic
    > brand stuff I imagine - they've always done the trick for me in the past.

    Vdata is Crap, we tried some in an old Celeron, just kept on crashing.

    Rob J, Oct 13, 2005
  5. Dany P. Wu

    Mercury Guest

    As a start, run memtest86 to test your ram.
    if you get errors, relax memory timings and try again.
    Let us know how you get on.

    Mercury, Oct 13, 2005
  6. Dany P. Wu

    J.wilson Guest

    "Dany P. Wu" <> wrote in message

    > Any suggestions/help/comments will be immensely appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Dany.

    (Sorry Dany, pressed wrong button)

    Assumeing you bought retail, take the box to the shop you
    bought the memory from and ask them to sort it.
    Why should you have all the hassle?

    J.wilson, Oct 13, 2005
  7. Dany P. Wu

    Brendan Guest

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 23:43:40 +1300, Dany P. Wu wrote:

    > Any suggestions/help/comments will be immensely appreciated.

    Re-seat the cpu, ram, cards and connectors. Clear the CMOS.

    --

    .... Brendan

    #342633 +(3716)- [X]

    <Quake-Hat> brad, your mom is fine as shit
    <Quake-Hat> i think i will masturbate to her while i play with my balls
    <bad_brad> brad had to go blow his nose, but thanks for the compliment, i
    will be calling your mother
    <Quake-Hat> Jesus-fucking christ!!!

    Note: All my comments are copyright 14/10/2005 1:10:08 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Oct 14, 2005
  8. Dany P. Wu

    Judges1318 Guest

    Static, i.e. the static charge. Notorious with
    memory sticks in carpeted rooms, with no conductive
    table pad, without a conductive grounded wrist band.

    Dispose of both memory sticks thoughtfully,
    in a manner not polluting the environment.

    Judges1318, Oct 14, 2005
  9. Dany P. Wu

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dany P. Wu wrote:
    > Hi everyone,

    <snip tale of woe>

    Hey Dany,

    In addition to what's been said:

    I hope you unplugged the PSU and then pushed the 'on' button (to drain caps)
    before you inserted the RAM.

    Also, could be static, RAM seems to be the most susceptible component to
    static damage. Always touch the bare case with one hand while holding the
    RAM in the other before putting it anywhere near the machine (At the very
    least).

    I would try resetting the CMOS first, then, if still not right, cleaning out
    both RAM slots with CO cleaner in a spray can if you have it. If you don't
    then try cleaning the slots with an artist's brush. Then check that RAM
    modules are fully seated, perhaps supporting that area of the mobo with your
    other hand while you press them firmly. Some mobos are inadequately
    supported which makes the addition of RAM with the board in-situ quite
    risky. RAM is usually added with the board flat on the bench IME. (Although
    I've added RAM many times to mounted mobos, you just have to be careful,
    it's not hard to crack the printed circuit traces around the RAM slots if
    the board flexes too much and you do have a budget board there, probably not
    the most robust. (~$100 inc GST earlier this year for a board with on-board
    video, sound and NIC? And <cough>barf<cough> VIA chipset).

    If you haven't already touched them (and it doesn't seem like you have) I'd
    leave CPU and other cards etc as-is for now.

    Also, while having no experience with it, I've also heard that V-Data is
    crap. I never buy the cheapest brand even though I'm poor. I usually get the
    next one up the price range.

    Good luck.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Oct 14, 2005
  10. Dany P. Wu

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:02:49 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Dany P. Wu wrote:
    >> Hi everyone,

    ><snip tale of woe>
    >
    >Hey Dany,
    >
    >In addition to what's been said:
    >
    >I hope you unplugged the PSU and then pushed the 'on' button (to drain caps)
    >before you inserted the RAM.
    >
    >Also, could be static, RAM seems to be the most susceptible component to
    >static damage. Always touch the bare case with one hand while holding the
    >RAM in the other before putting it anywhere near the machine (At the very
    >least).
    >
    >I would try resetting the CMOS first, then, if still not right, cleaning out
    >both RAM slots with CO cleaner in a spray can if you have it. If you don't
    >then try cleaning the slots with an artist's brush. Then check that RAM
    >modules are fully seated, perhaps supporting that area of the mobo with your
    >other hand while you press them firmly. Some mobos are inadequately
    >supported which makes the addition of RAM with the board in-situ quite
    >risky. RAM is usually added with the board flat on the bench IME. (Although
    >I've added RAM many times to mounted mobos, you just have to be careful,
    >it's not hard to crack the printed circuit traces around the RAM slots if
    >the board flexes too much and you do have a budget board there, probably not
    >the most robust. (~$100 inc GST earlier this year for a board with on-board
    >video, sound and NIC? And <cough>barf<cough> VIA chipset).
    >
    >If you haven't already touched them (and it doesn't seem like you have) I'd
    >leave CPU and other cards etc as-is for now.
    >
    >Also, while having no experience with it, I've also heard that V-Data is
    >crap. I never buy the cheapest brand even though I'm poor. I usually get the
    >next one up the price range.
    >
    >Good luck.

    Well, there seems to be a good consensus of opinion here.

    GraB, Oct 14, 2005
  11. Dany P. Wu

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:02:49 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >>Dany P. Wu wrote:
    >>> Hi everyone,

    >><snip tale of woe>
    >>Hey Dany,
    >>In addition to what's been said:
    >>I hope you unplugged the PSU and then pushed the 'on' button (to drain

    > caps) before you inserted the RAM.
    >>Also, could be static, RAM seems to be the most susceptible component to
    >>static damage. Always touch the bare case with one hand while holding the
    >>RAM in the other before putting it anywhere near the machine (At the very
    >>least).
    >>I would try resetting the CMOS first, then, if still not right, cleaning

    > out both RAM slots with CO cleaner in a spray can if you have it. If
    > you don't then try cleaning the slots with an artist's brush. Then
    > check that RAM modules are fully seated, perhaps supporting that area
    > of the mobo with your other hand while you press them firmly. Some
    > mobos are inadequately supported which makes the addition of RAM with
    > the board in-situ quite risky. RAM is usually added with the board flat
    > on the bench IME. (Although I've added RAM many times to mounted mobos,
    > you just have to be careful, it's not hard to crack the printed circuit
    > traces around the RAM slots if the board flexes too much and you do
    > have a budget board there, probably not the most robust. (~$100 inc GST
    > earlier this year for a board with on-board video, sound and NIC? And
    > <cough>barf<cough> VIA chipset). If you haven't already touched them
    > (and it doesn't seem like you have) I'd leave CPU and other cards etc
    > as-is for now. Also, while having no experience with it, I've also heard
    > that V-Data is crap. I never buy the cheapest brand even though I'm
    > poor. I usually get the next one up the price range.
    >>Good luck.

    > Well, there seems to be a good consensus of opinion here.

    Alrighty - I think I've got the general idea here.

    Unfortunately the problem has now transferred elsewhere. I had two brand new
    RAM modules to try out, A-Data brand which I never had any problems with. I
    tried each stick separately and I get different reactions every time it
    booted up. Some times it would just sit there and beep, and other times it
    reported only part of the full RAM capacity and froze.

    I'm beginning to feel that the MoBo may be a bit screwy too...

    D.

    Dany P. Wu, Oct 23, 2005
  12. Dany P. Wu

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:02:49 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >><snip tale of woe>
    > >>Hey Dany,
    > >>In addition to what's been said:
    > >>I hope you unplugged the PSU and then pushed the 'on' button (to drain

    > > caps) before you inserted the RAM.
    > >>Also, could be static, RAM seems to be the most susceptible component to
    > >>static damage. Always touch the bare case with one hand while holding the
    > >>RAM in the other before putting it anywhere near the machine (At the very
    > >>least).
    > >>I would try resetting the CMOS first, then, if still not right, cleaning

    > > out both RAM slots with CO cleaner in a spray can if you have it. If
    > > you don't then try cleaning the slots with an artist's brush. Then
    > > check that RAM modules are fully seated, perhaps supporting that area
    > > of the mobo with your other hand while you press them firmly. Some
    > > mobos are inadequately supported which makes the addition of RAM with
    > > the board in-situ quite risky. RAM is usually added with the board flat
    > > on the bench IME. (Although I've added RAM many times to mounted mobos,
    > > you just have to be careful, it's not hard to crack the printed circuit
    > > traces around the RAM slots if the board flexes too much and you do
    > > have a budget board there, probably not the most robust. (~$100 inc GST
    > > earlier this year for a board with on-board video, sound and NIC? And
    > > <cough>barf<cough> VIA chipset). If you haven't already touched them
    > > (and it doesn't seem like you have) I'd leave CPU and other cards etc
    > > as-is for now. Also, while having no experience with it, I've also heard
    > > that V-Data is crap. I never buy the cheapest brand even though I'm
    > > poor. I usually get the next one up the price range.
    > >>Good luck.

    > > Well, there seems to be a good consensus of opinion here.

    > Alrighty - I think I've got the general idea here.
    >
    > Unfortunately the problem has now transferred elsewhere. I had two brand new
    > RAM modules to try out, A-Data brand which I never had any problems with. I
    > tried each stick separately and I get different reactions every time it
    > booted up. Some times it would just sit there and beep, and other times it
    > reported only part of the full RAM capacity and froze.
    >
    > I'm beginning to feel that the MoBo may be a bit screwy too...

    What brand is it?

    Rob J, Oct 24, 2005
  13. Dany P. Wu

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> "GraB" <> wrote in message
    >>> caps) before you inserted the RAM.
    >>> out both RAM slots with CO cleaner in a spray can if you have it. If
    >>> you don't then try cleaning the slots with an artist's brush. Then
    >>> check that RAM modules are fully seated, perhaps supporting that area
    >>> of the mobo with your other hand while you press them firmly. Some
    >>> mobos are inadequately supported which makes the addition of RAM with
    >>> the board in-situ quite risky. RAM is usually added with the board flat
    >>> on the bench IME. (Although I've added RAM many times to mounted mobos,
    >>> you just have to be careful, it's not hard to crack the printed circuit
    >>> traces around the RAM slots if the board flexes too much and you do
    >>> have a budget board there, probably not the most robust. (~$100 inc GST
    >>> earlier this year for a board with on-board video, sound and NIC? And
    >>> <cough>barf<cough> VIA chipset). If you haven't already touched them
    >>> (and it doesn't seem like you have) I'd leave CPU and other cards etc
    >>> as-is for now. Also, while having no experience with it, I've also heard
    >>> that V-Data is crap. I never buy the cheapest brand even though I'm
    >>> poor. I usually get the next one up the price range.
    >>> Well, there seems to be a good consensus of opinion here.

    >> Alrighty - I think I've got the general idea here.
    >> Unfortunately the problem has now transferred elsewhere. I had two
    >> brand new RAM modules to try out, A-Data brand which I never had any
    >> problems with. I tried each stick separately and I get different
    >> reactions every time it booted up. Some times it would just sit there
    >> and beep, and other times it reported only part of the full RAM
    >> capacity and froze. I'm beginning to feel that the MoBo may be a bit
    >> screwy too...

    > What brand is it?

    The MoBo is an Albatron KM333 Pro. From what I've heard Albatrons are
    fine...unless I heard wrong...

    Dany P. Wu, Oct 24, 2005