Bootleg DVDs on Amazon.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by One-Shot Scot, Dec 10, 2004.

  1. So far, I have bought all of my Region 1 and Region 0 bootleg DVDs from eBay
    and other bootleg sites. These bootleg DVDs are titles that have been
    abandoned in Region 1 by the studios that own them, such as _Song of the
    South_ (1946), _Girls Town_ (1959) and _King Kong_ (1933). Ducking in and
    out of eBay in an attempt to grab bootleg DVDs before the sales are
    cancelled can be a real challenge.

    But, all of this cloak and dagger stuff may be coming to end because bootleg
    DVDs are gaining acceptance as a viable alternative when legitimate studio
    releases are not available. I hope that as bootleg DVDs gain widespread
    acceptance the quality of bootleg DVDs will get better and their prices will
    drop.

    Now that Amazon is selling bootleg DVDs, the day may soon come when we can
    walk into Wal-Mart, Best Buy and Costo and buy high-quality, well-packaged,
    reasonably-priced bootleg DVDs. Better yet, when the studios that are
    refusing to release popular bootleg DVD titles see the huge popularity of
    these movies, they may actually release official studio versions.

    I am glad to see that bootleg DVDs have now become an acceptable offering in
    Amazon's video lineup. The negative customer feedback on some of these
    titles will provide an incentive for the bootleggers to find better source
    material from which to make a better product. An Amazon search has turned up
    27 homemade DVDs from Cheezy Flicks Entertainment, including these titles,
    complete with customer reviews:

    Godzilla Vs. The Smog Monster (1964)
    "This is a cheap bootleg. Do not even waste your time looking at
    anything beyond this review. Why is this even on Amazon?"

    Death at Love House (1976)
    "The quality of the DVD, it is just awful, even a old vhs would be
    better !! It is just a shame to sell a DVD with such poor quality, the
    sound is terrible and the image is even worth !! 5 stars for the movie,
    0 for the quality (only because you can not give negative rates !!)"

    Star Knight
    "Unfortunately there is a flaw, and it is a huge one. The producer's of
    this DVD should have spent a little more time on it. The audio and video
    don't track together, with the audio being about one second ahead of the
    visual. This renders the entire movie into bad comedic farce.
    Unfortunately the effect is not entertaining, but rather is a headache.
    I would have to recommend that you avoid this film, at least until some
    other company creates a viewable version."

    King Kong (1933)
    "The video quality of this _King Kong_ (1933) DVD from Cheezy Flicks
    Entertainment is about the same as the NTSC VHS source from which it
    appears to have been copied. The DVD has a pasty looking picture which
    suffers from a total lack of contrast and there are occasional VHS-style
    video dropouts. The picture is off centered to the left and has
    excessive overscan. The "deleted" scenes are all way too dark. The crude
    cover art is composed of fuzzy screen shots. This Region 1 NTSC disc was
    made on a DVD burner."

    Godzilla Vs. The Smog Monster (1964)
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...89372/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/104-8125699-6530320

    Death at Love House (1976)
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ef=sr_1_13/104-8125699-6530320?v=glance&s=dvd

    Star Knight
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ef=sr_1_12/104-8125699-6530320?v=glance&s=dvd

    King Kong (1933)
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_9/104-8125699-6530320?v=glance&s=dvd

    http://store.cheezyflicks.com
    One-Shot Scot, Dec 10, 2004

  2. One-Shot Scot

    Justin Guest

    One-Shot Scot wrote on [Fri, 10 Dec 2004 07:28:04 -0800]:
    > But, all of this cloak and dagger stuff may be coming to end because bootleg
    > DVDs are gaining acceptance as a viable alternative when legitimate studio
    > releases are not available. I hope that as bootleg DVDs gain widespread
    > acceptance the quality of bootleg DVDs will get better and their prices will
    > drop.
    >
    > Now that Amazon is selling bootleg DVDs, the day may soon come when we can
    > walk into Wal-Mart, Best Buy and Costo and buy high-quality, well-packaged,
    > reasonably-priced bootleg DVDs. Better yet, when the studios that are
    > refusing to release popular bootleg DVD titles see the huge popularity of
    > these movies, they may actually release official studio versions.

    These are not for sale by Amazon but by the same people that sell them
    on ebay. They come from the same place.

    Just because it's listed as a marketplace offering doesn't in any way
    shape or form mean Amazon is selling them. Amazon is only acting as the
    middle man. The Amazon marketplace has always been a questionable place
    to buy from, but since it's "part of the amazon experience" it gets much
    more benefit of the doubt than it should.
    Justin, Dec 10, 2004

  3. "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > One-Shot Scot wrote on [Fri, 10 Dec 2004 07:28:04 -0800]:

    One-Shot Scot wrote on [Fri, 10 Dec 2004 07:28:04 -0800]:
    > But, all of this cloak and dagger stuff may be coming to end because
    > bootleg DVDs are gaining acceptance as a viable alternative when
    > legitimate studio releases are not available. I hope that as bootleg
    > DVDs gain widespread acceptance the quality of bootleg DVDs
    > will get better and their prices will drop.
    >
    > Now that Amazon is selling bootleg DVDs, the day may soon come when
    > we can walk into Wal-Mart, Best Buy and Costo and buy high-quality,
    > well-packaged, reasonably-priced bootleg DVDs. Better yet, when the
    > studios that are refusing to release popular bootleg DVD titles see
    > the huge popularity of these movies, they may actually release
    > official studio versions.

    <<These are not for sale by Amazon but by the same people that sell them
    on ebay. They come from the same place.>>

    <<Just because it's listed as a marketplace offering doesn't in any way
    shape or form mean Amazon is selling them. Amazon is only acting as the
    middle man. The Amazon marketplace has always been a questionable place
    to buy from, but since it's "part of the amazon experience" it gets much
    more benefit of the doubt than it should.>>

    Yes, far too much benefit. I was ripped off by a lying, cheating Amazon
    Marketplace seller and as a result, I never ordered again from Amazon
    Marketplace. The overall negative feedback for Amazon Marketplace
    sellers is far worse than the overall negative feedback for eBay
    sellers.

    I originally thought that the Cheezy Flicks bootlegs were available only
    from the Amazon Marketplace. However, of the 27 Cheezy Flicks bootleg
    DVDs listed on Amazon, these 8 titles are available directly from
    Amazon, in new condition and with FREE Super Saver Shipping:

    The House On Haunted Hill (1959)

    She Freak

    Shark

    Horror Planet

    Star Knight

    Death at Love House

    Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter (1966)

    Adios Amigo
    One-Shot Scot, Dec 11, 2004
  4. One-Shot Scot

    luminos Guest

    This is a fascinating thread. Now people complain about unreliable service
    for illegal product from a major company. Unreal.
    luminos, Dec 11, 2004
  5. "luminos" <> wrote in message
    > This is a fascinating thread. Now people complain about unreliable
    > service for illegal product from a major company. Unreal.

    Illegal product? If that were true, how could Amazon be featuring so
    many bootlegs available DIRECTLY from Amazon, in new condition and with
    FREE Super Saver Shipping? Everyone assumes that bootlegs are illegal,
    but whatever their status, they are gaining acceptance as an alternative
    to non-existent studio DVDs.

    I too had assumed that bootlegs were illegal and I'm sure that the some
    of the titles offered to me on the street and at flea markets might be
    questionable. Current box office attractions, such as _Alexander_ ,
    _Ocean's 12_ and _Polar Express_ are obviously in this gray area. (Well,
    actually, I doubt that there is much demand for _Alexander_. When and if
    this title ever makes it to DVD, it will immediately sink to the bottom
    of the Wal-Mart bargain bin.)

    On the other hand there are many movie titles that have been totally
    abandoned in Region 1 by their owners. Take _King Kong_ (1933) for
    example. Originally made in the USA, this title is available on DVD all
    over the world -- everywhere but in the USA. The USA has had VHS and
    LaserDisc versions of this title, but no DVD. Since Warner has shown no
    interest in releasing _King Kong_ on DVD in the USA, what could be the
    harm in buying a bootleg DVD version of this title? Warner certainly
    isn't losing any money.

    Same thing for _Song of the South_. Originally made in the USA, this
    title has been made available on VHS and LaserDisc in Europe and Asia.
    But there has never been a USA release of this title. Because Disney has
    no interest in releasing _Song of the South_ on DVD in the USA, what
    could be the harm in buying a bootleg DVD version of this title? If
    Disney wants to make money on _Song of the South_ in the USA, they
    should release the title on DVD.

    What about _Girls Town_ (1959) with Mamie Van Doren? Republic has given
    this title little consideration, with the last slap in the face being
    the Extended Play (6-hour mode) VHS release of this title. I bought this
    version that Republic calls a "6-hour QEP mode" (Quality Extended Play
    mode) and of course, its quality is awful. The initial limited VHS
    release of _Girls Town_ was done in the traditional Standard Play
    (2-hour mode) , which I have rented from a local video store, and its
    quality was on par with traditional VHS tapes. I finally located an
    original SP VHS tape of _Girls Town_ on eBay and it is currently being
    shipped to me. However, if the quality of this tape turns out to be
    unacceptable, I will look into getting a bootleg DVD version of this
    title. Once again, Republic is losing nothing because of my purchase of
    a bootleg _Girls Town_ because they refuse to release this title on
    DVD. Besides that, because I bought their piece of shit QEP mode tape of
    _Girls Town_, (as well as an original SP mode version) I have paid the
    price to legally watch this title. The bootleg DVD is simply a backup
    copy of a title which I have already paid to watch.

    Buying Bootleg DVDs of movie titles that have been abandoned by their
    owners doesn't hurt anybody.
    One-Shot Scot, Dec 11, 2004
  6. One-Shot Scot

    Biz Guest

    If the copyrights have expired they are not bootlegs anymore. They are now
    whats called public domain titles, BIG DIFFERENCE.

    Anyone that wants to release the title can do so. Unfortunately everyone
    will try and you will end up with many difference versions out there all of
    them being complete trash.

    Biz, Dec 11, 2004
  7. One-Shot Scot

    Guest

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 07:28:04 -0800, "One-Shot Scot" <>
    wrote:

> [...]
    >don't track together, with the audio being about one second ahead of the
    >visual. This renders the entire movie into bad comedic farce.
    >Unfortunately the effect is not entertaining, but rather is a headache.
    >I would have to recommend that you avoid this film, at least until some
    >other company creates a viewable version."
    >
    >King Kong (1933)
    >"The video quality of this _King Kong_ (1933) DVD from Cheezy Flicks
    >Entertainment is about the same as the NTSC VHS source from which it
    >appears to have been copied. The DVD has a pasty looking picture which
    >suffers from a total lack of contrast and there are occasional VHS-style
    >video dropouts. The picture is off centered to the left and has
    >excessive overscan. The "deleted" scenes are all way too dark. The crude
    >cover art is composed of fuzzy screen shots. This Region 1 NTSC disc was

    TROLL
    , Dec 12, 2004
  8. <> wrote in message
    > TROLL

    Thanks for identifying all of the pesky trolls who have infested this
    newsgroup and repeating everything they have written.

    Those who do verbatim quotes of every word written by every troll do
    nothing more than expand troll threads. Every copycat troll post just
    adds more content and more credibility to the original troll thread.

    I like your approach; A troll who quotes other trolls.

    What a great idea!

    Keep up the good work.

    TROLL
    One-Shot Scot, Dec 12, 2004
  9. One-Shot Scot

    John Howells Guest

    <> wrote

    > TROLL

    And quoted a lot more to demonstrate that she is an idiot.

    John Howells
    John Howells, Dec 12, 2004
  10. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 07:28:04 -0800, "One-Shot Scot" <>
    >wrote:

    >>So far, I have bought all of my Region 1 and Region 0 bootleg
    >>DVDs from eBay and other bootleg sites. These bootleg DVDs are
    >>titles that have been abandoned in Region 1 by the studios that
    >>own them, such as _Song of the South_ (1946), _Girls Town_
    >>(1959) and _King Kong_ (1933). Ducking in and out of eBay in an
    >>attempt to grab bootleg DVDs before the sales are cancelled can
    >>be a real challenge.

    >>King Kong (1933)

    >>"The video quality of this _King Kong_ (1933) DVD from Cheezy Flicks
    >>Entertainment is about the same as the NTSC VHS source from which it
    >>appears to have been copied. The DVD has a pasty looking picture which
    >>suffers from a total lack of contrast and there are occasional VHS-style
    >>video dropouts. The picture is off centered to the left and has
    >>excessive overscan. The "deleted" scenes are all way too dark. The crude
    >>cover art is composed of fuzzy screen shots. This Region 1 NTSC disc was
    >>made on a DVD burner."

    My copy of King Kong looks wonderful. Complete with the Universal
    opening color logo, a making of king kong documentary and some
    other features.

    I'd region 2 PAL but there are so many players that can handle that
    you shouldn't have too look to far.

    Just go to amazon.co.uk . If you have an Amazon account it works
    at the other sites too, Canada, England, Germany, France, and I
    don't know if there are others.

    I got mine from the UK. With the dollar/pound ratio chaning
    drastically the 7 pounds will be close to $14US .

    Why bother with bad looking bootlegs when you can get looking
    DVDs.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com