    i might buy a few dual AthlonMP systems as render nodes soon... they
    would all be controlled remotely. it would be good not to have to pay
    for extra components like video cards....

    Paul Gunson, Dec 13, 2003

  2. Paul Gunson

    T.N.O. Guest

    Paul Gunson wrote:
    > is it possible to boot PCs that don't have graphics cards installed...?
    > i might buy a few dual AthlonMP systems as render nodes soon... they
    > would all be controlled remotely. it would be good not to have to pay
    > for extra components like video cards....

    Mine(Tyan Tiger MP) supports booting completly headless.

    T.N.O., Dec 13, 2003

  3. Paul Gunson

    Gurble Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 13:47:58 +1300, Paul Gunson
    <> wrote:

    >is it possible to boot PCs that don't have graphics cards installed...?
    >i might buy a few dual AthlonMP systems as render nodes soon... they
    >would all be controlled remotely. it would be good not to have to pay
    >for extra components like video cards....

    Are you serious?

    Firstly, no, most motherboards will not boot with no graphics card
    (although some will).

    Secondly, you're going to fork out $1000+ for a couple of AthlonMPs
    and suitable board, and you're trying to scrooge on ~$40 for a cheapo
    graphics card?

    Gurble, Dec 13, 2003
  4. Paul Gunson

    T.N.O. Guest

    Gurble wrote:
    >>is it possible to boot PCs that don't have graphics cards installed...?
    >>i might buy a few dual AthlonMP systems as render nodes soon... they
    >>would all be controlled remotely. it would be good not to have to pay
    >>for extra components like video cards....

    > Firstly, no, most motherboards will not boot with no graphics card
    > (although some will).
    > Secondly, you're going to fork out $1000+ for a couple of AthlonMPs
    > and suitable board, and you're trying to scrooge on ~$40 for a cheapo
    > graphics card?

    If wanting to rack mount them(and say rack space is tight) then vga
    cards or the angled adapters are expensive... either way, most if not
    all Athlon MP boards will run headless.

    T.N.O., Dec 13, 2003
  5. Paul Gunson

    Paul Gunson Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:

    > Paul Gunson wrote:
    >
    >> is it possible to boot PCs that don't have graphics cards
    >> installed...? i might buy a few dual AthlonMP systems as render nodes
    >> soon... they would all be controlled remotely. it would be good not to
    >> have to pay for extra components like video cards....

    > Mine(Tyan Tiger MP) supports booting completly headless.

    where did u buy your tiger from...? i can only see the tyan thunder MPX
    on ascent.... (expensive). it would be good to compare the prices of
    tigers Vs the MSI MPX boards which we are considering.

    Paul Gunson, Dec 13, 2003
  6. On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 15:25:04 +1300, Gurble wrote:

    > Firstly, no, most motherboards will not boot with no graphics card
    > (although some will).

    Huh? I guess the 20 linux boxes we have doing this are wierd items then.

    > Secondly, you're going to fork out $1000+ for a couple of AthlonMPs
    > and suitable board, and you're trying to scrooge on ~$40 for a cheapo
    > graphics card?

    Given our experience with AthlonMPs, I'd say don't bother. We just
    returned the lot and paid some extra money to get p4 xeon duals.

    MP2000 duals getting outrun by p3-1200 duals and p4-1800 singles is not a
    good look.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 14, 2003
  7. Paul Gunson

    Paul Gunson Guest

    Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
    > Given our experience with AthlonMPs, I'd say don't bother. We just
    > returned the lot and paid some extra money to get p4 xeon duals.
    >
    > MP2000 duals getting outrun by p3-1200 duals and p4-1800 singles is not a
    > good look.

    just out of curiosity r u using max or mayb xsi...? on windows with maya
    this would never happen... with maya our AMD chips cain the flabby arse
    of their intel counterparts. seriously... this is common knowledge in
    the maya community. unless it is a linux issue mayb...?

    Paul Gunson, Dec 14, 2003
  8. Paul Gunson

    T.N.O. Guest

    Paul Gunson wrote:
    >> Mine(Tyan Tiger MP) supports booting completly headless.

    > where did u buy your tiger from...? i can only see the tyan thunder MPX
    > on ascent.... (expensive). it would be good to compare the prices of
    > tigers Vs the MSI MPX boards which we are considering.

    I got mine from www.pcgear.co.nz
    The MPX can be had from there for ~$400 trade(last time I checked{ages
    ago}), dont know what it is retail sorry.

    T.N.O., Dec 14, 2003