    Does Win9X boot off a Secondary drive? Off a slave(master or secondary)?
    what about Win NT/2k/XP?

    out of interest, does Win 3.1 only boot off a primary master?

    Anon, Sep 13, 2004

  2. Anon

    Wizard Guest

    Windows boots from the 1st ACTIVE partition it sees.

    Wizard, Sep 13, 2004

  3. Anon

    DaveW Guest

    Win9x = No; must be primary drive.
    Win XP = Will boot off secondary drive.

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW, Sep 14, 2004
  4. Anon

    derek / nul Guest

    On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:28:58 GMT, "DaveW" <> wrote:

    >Win9x = No; must be primary drive.
    >Win XP = Will boot off secondary drive.

    XP 'appears' to boot from the secondary drive, there are boot files on the C
    drive that are necessary to support booting from the secondary.

    derek / nul, Sep 14, 2004
  5. Anon

    bambam Guest

    (Anon) wrote in

    > i've seen a 1994 post that says DOS won't boot from a secondary
    > drive.
    >
    > Does Win9X boot off a Secondary drive? Off a slave(master or
    > secondary)? what about Win NT/2k/XP?

    I boot Win98 off my secondary hard drive with the help of XOSL-

    http://www.ranish.com/part/xosl.htm

    The manual is included in the download.
    I decided if this guy can use it to boot 37 OS, I could use it to boot
    3 or 4.

    http://www.maximumpc.com/features/feature_2002-09-24.html

    --
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

    bambam, Sep 14, 2004
  6. Anon

    Anon Guest

    "DaveW" <> wrote in message news:<Z2q1d.42993$D%.832@attbi_s51>...
    > Win9x = No; must be primary drive.
    > Win XP = Will boot off secondary drive.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW

    will win9x boot off a primary slave's primary partition?
    secondary partition?

    does xp boot off any drive (primary drive or secondary drive , master
    or slave, primary partition or secondary partition)?

    thanks

    Anon, Sep 14, 2004
  7. Anon

    Eric Guest

    DOS (Win3.1), Win9x,ME,NT,2000,XP all boot from primary master drive,
    primary partition (which MS refers it as system partition).

    However, you can install Win9x,ME,NT,2000,XP to another partition (which MS
    refers it as boot partition), primary slave drive, or secondary master or
    slave drive.

    To create multiple boot system, you have to use your primary drive primary
    paration as system paration and format as C: in FAT16 format (depended on
    which OSes you install).

    DOS, Win3.1, WIN95: Support FAT16 only
    Win98, ME: Support FAT16 and FAT32
    WinNT: Support FAT16, NTFS4
    Win2000/XP: Support FAT16, FAT32, NTFS4, NTFS5

    That means the following files must be in C: drive.

    DOS/Win31:
    -------------------
    COMMAND.COM
    MSDOS.SYS