    My BIOS doesn't indicate a Boot Preference for a Flash Card. How else
    could I boot it as a floppy?

    Mike
    Michael P Gabriel, Jan 26, 2004

  2. Michael P Gabriel

    Dan J. S. Guest

    "Michael P Gabriel" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Someone on a Google post suggested that I use a Compact Flash Card
    > instead of a floppy, on my new computer which comes without a Floppy.
    >
    > My BIOS doesn't indicate a Boot Preference for a Flash Card. How else
    > could I boot it as a floppy?
    >
    > Mike

    There are adapters that allow you to use a flash card as ide hard drive. I
    put together a solid state computer this way, where there are no moving
    parts.
    Dan J. S., Jan 26, 2004

  3. Michael P Gabriel

    Dan Guest

    "Dan J. S." <> wrote in message

    > "Michael P Gabriel" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Someone on a Google post suggested that I use a Compact Flash Card
    > > instead of a floppy, on my new computer which comes without a Floppy.
    > >
    > > My BIOS doesn't indicate a Boot Preference for a Flash Card. How else
    > > could I boot it as a floppy?
    > >
    > > Mike

    > There are adapters that allow you to use a flash card as ide hard drive. I
    > put together a solid state computer this way, where there are no moving
    > parts.

    I would love to see the details of your project.
    Dan, Jan 26, 2004
  4. Michael P Gabriel

    Digitalis Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 08:37:19 -0800, Michael P Gabriel wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Someone on a Google post suggested that I use a Compact Flash Card
    > instead of a floppy, on my new computer which comes without a Floppy.
    >
    > My BIOS doesn't indicate a Boot Preference for a Flash Card. How else
    > could I boot it as a floppy?

    If it doesn't support boot from USB, try another BIOS (or computer, if
    that is easier). Some computers can boot from USB keys, flash cards and
    the like.
    Digitalis, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Michael P Gabriel

    Dan J. S. Guest

    Dan wrote:
    > "Dan J. S." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Michael P Gabriel" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Someone on a Google post suggested that I use a Compact Flash Card
    >>> instead of a floppy, on my new computer which comes without a
    >>> Floppy.
    >>>
    >>> My BIOS doesn't indicate a Boot Preference for a Flash Card. How
    >>> else could I boot it as a floppy?
    >>>
    >>> Mike

    >> There are adapters that allow you to use a flash card as ide hard
    >> drive. I put together a solid state computer this way, where there
    >> are no moving parts.

    > I would love to see the details of your project.

    Quite simple:

    http://www.acscontrol.com/Index_ACS.asp?Page=/Pages/Products/CompactFlash/IDE_To_CF_Adapter.htm

    or

    http://store.ituner.com/ituner/emstcfl.html

    I use the above card in a PC. I do use a cd-rom to initially load the OS. I
    tried with both Linux and Windows XP. Works great!

    This is especially great if you have a network at home. I can still tap into
    some hard drives over the network, but the main pc has no moving parts (I
    got rid of the cpu fans by putting very large brass heat sinks).

    Keep in mind, a CF will be slower than an IDE hard drive, but if you build a
    pc with 4 gigs or RAM and a 3 gig CF. If your main RAM is fast, it will
    cache most of the OS anyway, so after the initial boot up, it is fast.
    Dan J. S., Jan 31, 2004