    Martin R. Howell
    Moderated sci.astro.amateur
    www.moderatedsciastroamateur.org

    Martin R. Howell, Mar 7, 2008

  2. Martin R. Howell

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Martin R. Howell added these comments in the current discussion
    du jour ...

    > My laptop is running Windows XP. Is it possible to make the
    > laptop boot-up in DOS or to somehow workaround XP and get it
    > to run in a pure DOS environment?

    Definitely, IF and only if you have some bootable removeable media
    like a floppy or CD that has DOS on it. XP does not have DOS at
    all, only a DOS window that emulates it.

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    "Surely you jest - and don't call me Shirley!" - from the movie
    "Airplane!"
    HEMI-Powered, Mar 7, 2008

  3. Martin R. Howell

    Guest

    "Martin R. Howell" <> wrote:

    >My laptop is running Windows XP. Is it possible to make the laptop boot-up
    >in DOS or to somehow workaround XP and get it to run in a pure DOS
    >environment?

    You will need to either dual boot, boot up with a Floppy, CD, or USB
    pen drive or such.

    The Win98 boot disk is good for this, I have a USB pen drive that I
    boot into dos with. I like the Win98 boot disk cause it will install
    most CD's

    You can get your boot disk at http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

    Search for SP27213.exe it's an HP utility that will format and allow a
    USB pen drive to boot up (if you have that need).
    --

    "Stands out" may be a bit of an understatement...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasreichart/458979878/sizes/o/
  4. Martin R. Howell

    philo Guest

    "Martin R. Howell" <> wrote in message
    > My laptop is running Windows XP. Is it possible to make the laptop

    boot-up
    > in DOS or to somehow workaround XP and get it to run in a pure DOS
    > environment?

    You cannot access your XP drive in dos mode unless it's on a fat32
    partition,
    then you could use a win9x boot disk...
    but chances are you have XP on an NTFS partition...which is not accessable
    in dos unless you use a 3rd party NTFS driver
    philo, Mar 8, 2008
  5. Martin R. Howell

    chuckcar Guest

    "Martin R. Howell" <> wrote in

    > My laptop is running Windows XP. Is it possible to make the laptop
    > boot-up in DOS or to somehow workaround XP and get it to run in a pure
    > DOS environment?

    First D.O.S. does *not* mean the same thing as a non-gui operating
    system. D.O.S. stands for disk operating system and means *any* (usually
    from microsoft, although IBM could be said to be grouped with it) that
    allows a computer to be able to execute files, copy files and various
    "overall" tasks. That all being said I'll assume you mean an OS like
    those from microsoft before windows 95. There are various around.
    Freedos comes to mind, if you look in the right plaes you can probably
    find Dr. DOS or if you also run linux you can use dosemu (which freedos
    is used with). You would have to (in the microsoft versions) manually
    create a dos boot disk or create a partition to boot and use a boot
    manager (such as LILO - recommended). You would then generally create an
    autoexec.bat and config.sys file and would have to have a dos driver for
    your mouse if you were going to use it and a sound card that is
    soundblaster compatible. The same goes for your CDROM drive.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 8, 2008
  6. Martin R. Howell

    Guest

    "philo" <> wrote:

    >"Martin R. Howell" <> wrote in message
    >> My laptop is running Windows XP. Is it possible to make the laptop

    >boot-up
    >> in DOS or to somehow workaround XP and get it to run in a pure DOS
    >> environment?

    >You cannot access your XP drive in dos mode unless it's on a fat32
    >partition,
    >then you could use a win9x boot disk...
    >but chances are you have XP on an NTFS partition...which is not accessable
    >in dos unless you use a 3rd party NTFS driver

    Darn forgot about that little issue :)

    The OP will also need NTFS4DOS
    www.freewarefiles.com/NTFSDOS-readwrite-NTFS-From-DOS_program_11100.html

    --

    "Stands out" may be a bit of an understatement...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasreichart/458979878/sizes/o/
    , Mar 8, 2008
  7. Martin R. Howell

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    HEMI-Powered wrote:
    > Martin R. Howell added these comments in the current discussion
    > du jour ...
    >
    >> My laptop is running Windows XP. Is it possible to make the
    >> laptop boot-up in DOS or to somehow workaround XP and get it
    >> to run in a pure DOS environment?
    >>

    > Definitely, IF and only if you have some bootable removeable media
    > like a floppy or CD that has DOS on it. XP does not have DOS at
    > all, only a DOS window that emulates it.

    It's not a DOS window, it XP's command line.
    Desk Rabbit, Mar 8, 2008
  8. Martin R. Howell

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Desk Rabbit added these comments in the current discussion du
    jour ...

    >>> My laptop is running Windows XP. Is it possible to make the
    >>> laptop boot-up in DOS or to somehow workaround XP and get it
    >>> to run in a pure DOS environment?
    >>>

    >> Definitely, IF and only if you have some bootable removeable
    >> media like a floppy or CD that has DOS on it. XP does not
    >> have DOS at all, only a DOS window that emulates it.
    >>

    > It's not a DOS window, it XP's command line.

    wahtever, it's in a window and it looks like DOS, so please forgive
    the technical inaccuracy. but, what else about what I said is so
    offensive?

    HEMI-Powered, Mar 8, 2008
  9. Martin R. Howell

    chuckcar Guest

    "HEMI-Powered" <> wrote in

    > Desk Rabbit added these comments in the current discussion du
    > jour ...

    >>> Definitely, IF and only if you have some bootable removeable
    >>> media like a floppy or CD that has DOS on it. XP does not
    >>> have DOS at all, only a DOS window that emulates it.
    >>>

    >> It's not a DOS window, it XP's command line.
    >>

    > wahtever, it's in a window and it looks like DOS, so please forgive
    > the technical inaccuracy. but, what else about what I said is so
    > offensive?

    No, it doesn't *look* like DOS. That term is meaningless. DOS doesn't
    *look* like anything. It's a series of programs that allow a computer to
    run programs off of a hard drive, CD or floppy period. Gui's have
    nothing to do with it, command lines interfaces have nothing to do with
    it. XP *is* a DOS. If you aren't qualified to answer the OP, don't post
    period.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 8, 2008
  10. Martin R. Howell

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    chuckcar added these comments in the current discussion du jour

    >>> It's not a DOS window, it XP's command line.
    >>>

    >> wahtever, it's in a window and it looks like DOS, so please
    >> forgive the technical inaccuracy. but, what else about what I
    >> said is so offensive?

    > No, it doesn't *look* like DOS. That term is meaningless. DOS
    > doesn't *look* like anything. It's a series of programs that
    > allow a computer to run programs off of a hard drive, CD or
    > floppy period. Gui's have nothing to do with it, command lines
    > interfaces have nothing to do with it. XP *is* a DOS. If you
    > aren't qualified to answer the OP, don't post period.

    the only thing that is meaningless is attacks on my for trying to
    help the OP. I've been running DOS since 1.0 and what I "see" in
    whatever you choose to call how XP presents it sure as hell looks
    like an old-fashioned DOS command line and it executes exactly
    the same way, albeit with long file name extensions, a few other
    niceties, and a whole lot of restrictions. perhaps you should
    read my sig, then get a life outside of picking fly shit off the
    back of gnats with nonsense like "XP *is* a DOS. No kidding?!
    More correctly, since you like accuracy and precision - those are
    two different things - XP like all modern GUI thingies is an O/S,
    Operating System, it is FAR more than just a "Disk Operating
    System" or have you forgotten about small things like ...

    HEMI-Powered, Mar 8, 2008
  11. Martin R. Howell

    chuckcar Guest

    "HEMI-Powered" <> wrote in

    > chuckcar added these comments in the current discussion du jour

    >>> wahtever, it's in a window and it looks like DOS, so please
    >>> forgive the technical inaccuracy. but, what else about what I
    >>> said is so offensive?

    >> No, it doesn't *look* like DOS. That term is meaningless. DOS
    >> doesn't *look* like anything. It's a series of programs that
    >> allow a computer to run programs off of a hard drive, CD or
    >> floppy period. Gui's have nothing to do with it, command lines
    >> interfaces have nothing to do with it. XP *is* a DOS. If you
    >> aren't qualified to answer the OP, don't post period.
    >>

    > the only thing that is meaningless is attacks on my for trying to
    > help the OP.

    Trying doesn't cut it if you don't even know what you're talking about.
    You complained that you were criticized for "technical matters". Well
    guess what, this is a *technical* group. If you don't know even the
    *meaning* of the words technology or technical, boy are *you* ever in
    the wrong place.

    > I've been running DOS since 1.0

    Bullshit.

    >and what I "see" in
    > whatever you choose to call how XP presents it sure as hell looks
    > like an old-fashioned DOS command line and it executes exactly
    > the same way, albeit with long file name extensions, a few other
    > niceties, and a whole lot of restrictions. perhaps you should
    > read my sig, then get a life outside of picking fly shit off the
    > back of gnats with nonsense like "XP *is* a DOS. No kidding?!
    > More correctly, since you like accuracy and precision - those are
    > two different things - XP like all modern GUI thingies is an O/S,
    > Operating System, it is FAR more than just a "Disk Operating
    > System" or have you forgotten about small things like ...

    Funny you ran out of words just as you ran out of being correct isn't
    it? Name *one* functioal part of XP that *doesn't* go on a hard drive
    once it's installed.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 8, 2008
  12. Martin R. Howell

    Plato Guest

    Martin R. Howell wrote:

    > My laptop is running Windows XP. Is it possible to make the laptop boot-up
    > in DOS or to somehow workaround XP and get it to run in a pure DOS
    > environment?

    Easy. I do it all the time when I need to.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Mar 9, 2008
  13. Martin R. Howell

    Plato Guest

    Desk Rabbit wrote:

    > >> My laptop is running Windows XP. Is it possible to make the
    > >> laptop boot-up in DOS or to somehow workaround XP and get it
    > >> to run in a pure DOS environment?
    > >>

    > > Definitely, IF and only if you have some bootable removeable media
    > > like a floppy or CD that has DOS on it. XP does not have DOS at
    > > all, only a DOS window that emulates it.
    > >

    > It's not a DOS window, it XP's command line.

    100% true, if in XP, there is no dos like you said. But yes, one can
    boot to dos using the correct media disk.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Mar 9, 2008
  14. Martin R. Howell

    Guest

    Martin R. Howell wrote:
    > My laptop is running Windows XP. Is it possible to make the laptop boot-up
    > in DOS or to somehow workaround XP and get it to run in a pure DOS
    > environment?

    I'm not sure if you know about DosBox but it seems to work very well
    to run Dos programs as an emulator.

    I run old dos games in it from linux and windows

    > --
    > Martin R. Howell
    > Moderated sci.astro.amateur
    > www.moderatedsciastroamateur.org

    , Mar 9, 2008
  15. Martin R. Howell

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Plato added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    >> > Definitely, IF and only if you have some bootable
    >> > removeable media like a floppy or CD that has DOS on it. XP
    >> > does not have DOS at all, only a DOS window that emulates
    >> > it.
    >> >

    >> It's not a DOS window, it XP's command line.

    > 100% true, if in XP, there is no dos like you said. But yes,
    > one can boot to dos using the correct media disk.

    Thanks for confirming my comments quoted above. Obviously, there is
    a "disk operating system" inside of XP, just not that of earlier
    versions nor the real-deal text DOS we all learned to love and hate
    a generation ago.

    HEMI-Powered, Mar 9, 2008
  16. press F8 as soon as the PC boots, then choose MS-Dos from the menu. Or use a
    boot disk from www.bootdisk.com.

    I hope this helps

    Stephen Turner, Mar 9, 2008
  17. Martin R. Howell

    nobody > Guest

    wrote:

    > Martin R. Howell wrote:
    >> My laptop is running Windows XP. Is it possible to make the laptop boot-up
    >> in DOS or to somehow workaround XP and get it to run in a pure DOS
    >> environment?

    > I'm not sure if you know about DosBox but it seems to work very well
    > to run Dos programs as an emulator.
    >
    > I run old dos games in it from linux and windows
    >
    >> --
    >> Martin R. Howell
    >> Moderated sci.astro.amateur
    >> www.moderatedsciastroamateur.org
    >>
    >> --

    DosBox has a limitation of using the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer)
    for accessing things like parallel and serial ports. A lot of old DOS
    programs can't work thru that, and that's what I'm guessing the OP needs.

    I've been thru that many times on old Motorola Radio Service Software.
    The program appears to run on an XP cmd box or DOSBox, but it won't talk
    to the radio thru the serial port.

    The only answer found is having Win 98 or 98SE on the machine and
    accessing the command line directly thru a bootmenu or a restart in "DOS
    Mode".
    nobody >, Mar 9, 2008
  18. Martin R. Howell

    sandy58 Guest

    On Mar 8, 4:35 pm, "HEMI-Powered" <> wrote:
    > chuckcar added these comments in the current discussion du jour

    > >> wahtever, it's in a window and it looks like DOS, so please
    > >> forgive the technical inaccuracy. but, what else about what I
    > >> said is so offensive?

    > > No, it doesn't *look* like DOS. That term is meaningless. DOS
    > > doesn't *look* like anything. It's a series of programs that
    > > allow a computer to run programs off of a hard drive, CD or
    > > floppy period. Gui's have nothing to do with it, command lines
    > > interfaces have nothing to do with it. XP *is* a DOS. If you
    > > aren't qualified to answer the OP, don't post period.

    > the only thing that is meaningless is attacks on my for trying to
    > help the OP. I've been running DOS since 1.0 and what I "see" in
    > whatever you choose to call how XP presents it sure as hell looks
    > like an old-fashioned DOS command line and it executes exactly
    > the same way, albeit with long file name extensions, a few other
    > niceties, and a whole lot of restrictions. perhaps you should
    > read my sig, then get a life outside of picking fly shit off the
    > back of gnats with nonsense like "XP *is* a DOS. No kidding?!
    > More correctly, since you like accuracy and precision - those are
    > two different things - XP like all modern GUI thingies is an O/S,
    > Operating System, it is FAR more than just a "Disk Operating
    > System" or have you forgotten about small things like ...
    >
    > --
    > HP, aka Jerry
    >
    > "Surely you jest - and don't call me Shirley!" - from the movie
    > "Airplane!"

    chuckcar has his head so far up his ass he can't see for the tears in
    his eyes, HEMI-Powered. :)
    You & I along with loadsa other guys like Plato & Monkeycart....will
    just go along with our Dos. I also began with DOS & no-one will
    convince me that XP has no influence from DOS!! You are wasting time
    with HUA wannabe "teckies" who do more blowing their own battered
    trumpets than helping. Cock a big "D" to his shit.
    sandy58, Mar 12, 2008
  19. Martin R. Howell

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 16:35:50 GMT, HEMI-Powered wrote:

    >chuckcar added these comments in the current discussion du jour

    >>> wahtever, it's in a window and it looks like DOS, so please
    >>> forgive the technical inaccuracy. but, what else about what I
    >>> said is so offensive?

    >> No, it doesn't *look* like DOS. That term is meaningless. DOS
    >> doesn't *look* like anything. It's a series of programs that
    >> allow a computer to run programs off of a hard drive, CD or
    >> floppy period. Gui's have nothing to do with it, command lines
    >> interfaces have nothing to do with it. XP *is* a DOS. If you
    >> aren't qualified to answer the OP, don't post period.
    >>

    >the only thing that is meaningless is attacks on my for trying to
    >help the OP. I've been running DOS since 1.0 and what I "see" in

    Ah, only have seen 1.25 that was labelled OEM can't even remember what
    format the disk was 5.25" 160KB or 320, am sure it wasn't 360 yet.

    >whatever you choose to call how XP presents it sure as hell looks
    >like an old-fashioned DOS command line and it executes exactly

    <snip>

    It's a command prompt, it's not DOS. Look and feel aren't what it's
    about.

    http://commandwindows.com/command1.htm
    Before proceeding further, I wish to clear up a common misconception
    that the command prompt in Windows XP is the same as DOS. Even some
    experts who know better sometimes refer to the command prompt as a “DOS
    window”. In fact, Microsoft itself isn't always careful about the
    distinction. There are some superficial resemblances and some commands
    with the same name but in fact the old 16-bit DOS is dead. All remnants
    of DOS are totally gone from the Windows XP kernel (there is a DOS
    emulator for legacy programs). Windows XP is a 32-bit protected memory
    system with a totally different approach from the DOS/9X/Me family.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324617
    Support WebCast: New Microsoft Windows XP Command-line Tools and
    Troubleshooting Utilities
    This session assumes that you have introductory-level knowledge of the
    command shell, Cmd.exe, and how command-line tools work;

    Command shell overview
    The command shell is a separate software program that provides direct
    communication between the user and the operating system. The
    non-graphical command shell user interface provides the environment in
    which you run character-based applications and utilities. The command
    shell executes programs and displays their output on the screen by using
    individual characters similar to the MS-DOS command interpreter
    Command.com.

    Me
    why?, Mar 12, 2008