    Is there a solution by now ?

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, May 27, 2011

  2. No change that I'm aware of. And this behaviour is entirely predictable --
    you can't have two disks with the exact same disk signature (GUID) on the
    same system. Duh.

    Also, I have no idea what tools you used, but some of them will end up with
    a non-bootable VHD. Disk2VHD from MS works fine for me. I used it to create
    an image of working Win7 and Server 2008 systems and moving them to my
    Hyper-V server. They were bootable and ran without issue. I've not
    _recently_ tried booting from a VHD, though I know no reason to think it's
    changed, and it worked fine during the beta.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://blogs.msmvps.com/russel

    Charlie Russel-MVP, May 29, 2011

  3. > No change that I'm aware of. And this behaviour is entirely predictable --
    > you can't have two disks with the exact same disk signature (GUID) on the
    > same system. Duh.

    Can this be fixed ? If so how ? I guess it involves chaging the GUID ? Which
    tool can do that, and is this safe ?

    > Also, I have no idea what tools you used, but some of them will end up
    > with a non-bootable VHD. Disk2VHD from MS works fine for me. I used it to
    > create

    vhd tool 2.0, disk2vhd

    (I think the first one I used, or it was windd but probably not windd it's
    gui is weird... I am not sure if it would overwrite a drive... I think it
    might... so didn't use that it was too risky... so I probably use vhd tool
    2.0)

    Also is it possible to auto-mount a vhd so windows 7 sees it ?

    What would be commands and tools/script for it ?

    Perhaps batch file with commands in it and then "run script of
    login/logoff"...

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, May 30, 2011
  4. Also the VHD is a windows xp pro 64 bit, so it probably cannot be
    virtualized since no "virtualization solution" can currently run 64 bit
    operating systems ?!?

    So this leaves "booting into vhd" as only option, besides from copieing it
    back to a real disk, and then somehow changing partition size to fit new
    disk ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, May 30, 2011
  5. Ok,

    Maybe I was wrong, maybe VMWare supports 64 bit operating system as guests
    and it seems free too:

    http://www.vmware.com/products/server/features.html

    Not sure if it will work... but I think I am going to give it a try...

    This would allow me to reboot the operating system multiple times without
    actually rebooting the real computer to get around creative labs
    soundblaster driver issues ;)

    This would also be nice for webbrowsing then I can hopefully webbrowse from
    inside the virtual machine and not worry too much about viruses... though
    this would again require a reinstall of a 64 bit or 32 bit operating system,
    since I need the 512 GB VHD to survive intact ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, May 30, 2011
  6. And Hyper-V certainly supports 64-bit operating systems. Or I'd be shut down
    here. ;)

    Oh, and the Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 is compltely free. VMWare, btw, does not
    support VHDs. They use a different format for their hard disks.

    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel-MVP, May 30, 2011
  7. Oh, and as for Creative? Just say no. Their software has gotten to be too
    onerous to live with. IMNSHO.

    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel-MVP, May 30, 2011
  8. Skybuck Flying

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 30/05/2011 in message
    <9ed0f$4de30dc5$54192c06$1.nb.home.nl> Skybuck Flying
    wrote:

    >This would also be nice for webbrowsing then I can hopefully webbrowse
    >from inside the virtual machine and not worry too much about viruses...
    >though this would again require a reinstall of a 64 bit or 32 bit
    >operating system, since I need the 512 GB VHD to survive intact ;)

    Virtual machines are just as vulnerable to viruses as hardware machines.

    --
    Those are my principles – and if you don’t like them, well, I have others.
    (Groucho Marx)
    Jeff Gaines, May 30, 2011
  9. Hyper-V seems to be a stand-alone operating system, so it's not like VMware
    Workstation or Virtual PC which are applications.

    Also Hyper-V has no GUI ?!? and it requites special instructions which I am
    not sure if my AMD X2 3800+ processor has... probably not ;)

    I think VMware can be forced to used VHD but I could be wrong ;)

    So Hyper-V is more for servers... not really desktops ?! and is probably
    ment for "virtualization experts" which are used to command line...

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, May 31, 2011
  10. So far their software seems to work just fine on Windows 7 at least with 2
    GB of ram.

    I have not yet tested with 4 GB but will do so in future when I feel like it
    ! ;) =D

    Bye,
    Skybuck =D

    Skybuck Flying, May 31, 2011
  11. Re: Booting into VHD with Windows 7. (virtual webbrowser idea)

    "
    Virtual machines are just as vulnerable to viruses as hardware machines.
    "

    Yes but at least the virtual machine itself is easily copied as a backup.

    If the virtual machine dies then it's easily replaced, not so with a main
    operating system.

    I'm not yet sure if I am going to run webbrowser inside a virtual machine...
    it's kinda slow and cubersome.

    So far I have lost one operating system (xp 32 bit) with files towards a
    real nasty malware, though it wasn't being used anymore so it wasn't fully
    patched.

    So far I have also seen malware break through webbrowsers real easy... it's
    kinda scary.

    So far I have also lot's my entire XP 64 bit desktop start menu's. Which
    kinda sux.

    Though I guess I won't be needing XP 64 bit anymore, but I would have been
    nice to have it still working like I used it for "historical/nostalgic"
    reasons.

    It would be fun to look back at it say 10 to 20 years from now or so.

    I would like to preserve my software installations as much as possible, I
    have also put a lot of work/time into it.

    The idea of losing it again because of one little tiny
    irritating/annoying/meaningless malware infection/breakthrough through
    browser is kinda annoying and shitty.

    My plan for now is to "take" all my "baggage" with me to new computers via
    "virtualization" ! ;) =D

    Perhaps I will also buy a tape streamer in the future to try and make an
    extra backup on tape.

    Though backups on harddisks so far seem an interesting option, that way I
    can continue using it and have it with me to newer hardware which might last
    longer than the older hardware.

    My hope is that Microsoft will "virtualize the webbrowser" somehow so it
    will run entirely in a virtual machine so it can no longer pose a threat to
    the main operating system.

    Perhaps the webbrowser should have a little storage area to store files from
    the web.

    This storage area would then be shared with the real/main operating system
    so that the main operating system/user can use those downloaded files.

    This would then reduce the risk of infections, infections can still happen
    via downloaded files, but not via the webbrowser in an immediate sense.

    In other words if the webbrowser loses control of the "virtual processor"
    then it's not a problem, only the "virtual environment" is comprised.

    The virtual environment could have backups maybe even multiple backups which
    the user could choose from as a restore point for the "virtual
    environment"/virtual webbrowser.

    User should be able to configure the virtual webbrowser and install plugins
    and then make a restore point for the virtual webbrowser in case it later
    gets infected.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, May 31, 2011
  12. Hyper-V is standalone (Like VMWare ESX), or as part of Windows Server 2008
    R2, where it is a role just like other roles.

    Correct, the standalone server has no GUI. BUT, you can control it with the
    gui running on a Windows 7 machine on the same network using the Remote
    Server Administration Tools (RSAT).

    Charlie Russel-MVP, May 31, 2011
  13. Hyper-V is standalone (Like VMWare ESX), or as part of Windows Server 2008
    R2, where it is a role just like other roles.

    Correct, the standalone server has no GUI. BUT, you can control it with the
    gui running on a Windows 7 machine on the same network using the Remote
    Server Administration Tools (RSAT).

    Not sure on your AMD. Depends how old the processor is. But any current AMD
    processor has hardware virtualization.

    Charlie Russel-MVP, May 31, 2011