    Ctrl-Alt-Del shows several "instances" of apparently the same
    processes loaded.

    Just want to safely clean things up, etc. ...

    Stephen G. Giannoni, Oct 31, 2003

  2. Stephen G. Giannoni

    LarryLamb Guest

    "Stephen G. Giannoni" <> wrote in message
    > Windows XP Home running on a P-4, 2.4GHz, 256Mb RAM.
    >
    > How can I get control over the various stuff that is loading during
    > boot, or attempting to load. It takes a long and variable time to
    > boot, things end up in the system tray in odd orders, and I hear the
    > default beep sound one or more times during boot.
    >
    > What services are essential and what can be eliminated?
    >
    > Ctrl-Alt-Del shows several "instances" of apparently the same
    > processes loaded.
    >
    > Just want to safely clean things up, etc. ...

    Go to Run on the Start menu and type 'services.msc'. This will bring up a
    list of all of the programs that can run or are presently running in the
    background.

    To find out what each one does simply right click on it and this will
    display a dialogue box with a description and a 'Start Type' drop-down menu
    with Automatic, Manual or Disable options.

    Here are some Services that you may find, these are not usually needed by
    non-networked home PCs and can be safely disabled:

    Alerter
    Clipbook
    Computer Browser
    DHCP Client
    Distributed Link Tracking Client
    DNS Client
    Fast User Switching
    FTP Publishing Service
    Human Interface Access Devices
    IIS Admin Service
    IPSEC Policy Agent
    Indexing Service
    Messenger
    Net Logon
    Remote Procedure Call Locator
    Remote Registry Service
    RIP Service
    Run As Service
    Server
    SSDP Discovery Service
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    Universal Plug and Play Device Host
    Upload Manager
    Windows Time
    Wireless Zero Configuration
    World Wide Web Publishing Service
    Workstation

    NB. Only disable one Service at a time and if you run into problems simply
    switch it back on.

    LarryLamb, Oct 31, 2003

  3. All the stuff ! ...

    >Here are some Services that you may find, these are not usually needed by
    >non-networked home PCs and can be safely disabled:

    Ah well, we're 2 machines networked via a LinkSys.

    Tks. 4 info.

    Stephen G. Giannoni, Nov 1, 2003
  4. Stephen G. Giannoni

    MrToad Guest

    Stephen G. Giannoni <> Ran in the back
    door and shouted news:p:

    > Windows XP Home running on a P-4, 2.4GHz, 256Mb RAM.
    >
    > How can I get control over the various stuff that is loading during
    > boot, or attempting to load. It takes a long and variable time to
    > boot, things end up in the system tray in odd orders, and I hear the
    > default beep sound one or more times during boot.
    >
    > What services are essential and what can be eliminated?
    >
    > Ctrl-Alt-Del shows several "instances" of apparently the same
    > processes loaded.
    >
    > Just want to safely clean things up, etc. ...

    MrToad

    MrToad, Nov 1, 2003