Booting from XP 64 CD

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?U3R1?=, Jun 2, 2005.

  1. I am trying to installing XP 64 and the only way to do this is by booting
    from CD. I did this to install XP ages ago and that was fine but now when I
    try to boot from a cd I get this message 'memory overflow error'. I have
    tried rearranging all IDE connections, flashing BIOS and even using different
    CD/DVD drive. Nothing works and I really want to play Far Cry 64. Any ideas
    would be a gtreat help. Cheers
     
    =?Utf-8?B?U3R1?=, Jun 2, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U3R1?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Stu.

    I've never seen that error before. Is that a bootable CD-ROM? Where did
    you get it? If you burned it yourself, did you make sure to include the
    bits to make it bootable?

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "Stu" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am trying to installing XP 64 and the only way to do this is by booting
    > from CD. I did this to install XP ages ago and that was fine but now when
    > I
    > try to boot from a cd I get this message 'memory overflow error'. I have
    > tried rearranging all IDE connections, flashing BIOS and even using
    > different
    > CD/DVD drive. Nothing works and I really want to play Far Cry 64. Any
    > ideas
    > would be a gtreat help. Cheers
     
    R. C. White, Jun 2, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Maybe you burned the ISO incorrectly or your CD-ROM Drive is corrupted or
    the disk is scratched.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

    "Stu" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am trying to installing XP 64 and the only way to do this is by booting
    > from CD. I did this to install XP ages ago and that was fine but now when
    > I
    > try to boot from a cd I get this message 'memory overflow error'. I have
    > tried rearranging all IDE connections, flashing BIOS and even using
    > different
    > CD/DVD drive. Nothing works and I really want to play Far Cry 64. Any
    > ideas
    > would be a gtreat help. Cheers
     
    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 2, 2005
    #3
  4. I've tried using my old XP disc and 3 different drive.

    "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

    > Maybe you burned the ISO incorrectly or your CD-ROM Drive is corrupted or
    > the disk is scratched.
    > --
    > Andre
    > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    > Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    > http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    > FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    >
    > "Stu" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > I am trying to installing XP 64 and the only way to do this is by booting
    > > from CD. I did this to install XP ages ago and that was fine but now when
    > > I
    > > try to boot from a cd I get this message 'memory overflow error'. I have
    > > tried rearranging all IDE connections, flashing BIOS and even using
    > > different
    > > CD/DVD drive. Nothing works and I really want to play Far Cry 64. Any
    > > ideas
    > > would be a gtreat help. Cheers

    >
    >
    >
     
    =?Utf-8?B?U3R1?=, Jun 2, 2005
    #4
  5. Stu wrote:
    > I am trying to installing XP 64 and the only way to do this is by
    > booting from CD. I did this to install XP ages ago and that was fine
    > but now when I try to boot from a cd I get this message 'memory
    > overflow error'. I have tried rearranging all IDE connections,
    > flashing BIOS and even using different CD/DVD drive. Nothing works
    > and I really want to play Far Cry 64. Any ideas would be a gtreat
    > help. Cheers


    Have you tried cleaning the CD with dishwashing detergent? Of course just
    air dry it afterwards.


    Wayne
     
    Wayne Wastier, Jun 2, 2005
    #5
  6. I've tied my XP pro disc too and 3 cd/dvd drives

    "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

    > Maybe you burned the ISO incorrectly or your CD-ROM Drive is corrupted or
    > the disk is scratched.
    > --
    > Andre
    > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    > Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    > http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    > FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    >
    > "Stu" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > I am trying to installing XP 64 and the only way to do this is by booting
    > > from CD. I did this to install XP ages ago and that was fine but now when
    > > I
    > > try to boot from a cd I get this message 'memory overflow error'. I have
    > > tried rearranging all IDE connections, flashing BIOS and even using
    > > different
    > > CD/DVD drive. Nothing works and I really want to play Far Cry 64. Any
    > > ideas
    > > would be a gtreat help. Cheers

    >
    >
    >
     
    =?Utf-8?B?U3R1?=, Jun 2, 2005
    #6
  7. Did Martha Stewart teach you that Wayne? ;-)
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

    "Wayne Wastier" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    > Stu wrote:
    >> I am trying to installing XP 64 and the only way to do this is by
    >> booting from CD. I did this to install XP ages ago and that was fine
    >> but now when I try to boot from a cd I get this message 'memory
    >> overflow error'. I have tried rearranging all IDE connections,
    >> flashing BIOS and even using different CD/DVD drive. Nothing works
    >> and I really want to play Far Cry 64. Any ideas would be a gtreat
    >> help. Cheers

    >
    > Have you tried cleaning the CD with dishwashing detergent? Of course just
    > air dry it afterwards.
    >
    >
    > Wayne
    >
     
    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 2, 2005
    #7
  8. =?Utf-8?B?U3R1?=

    NNBXX Guest

    LOL !!! :))

    "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    > Did Martha Stewart teach you that Wayne? ;-)
    > --
    > Andre
    > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    > Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    > http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    > FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    >
    > "Wayne Wastier" <> wrote in message
    > news:%...
    >> Stu wrote:
    >>> I am trying to installing XP 64 and the only way to do this is by
    >>> booting from CD. I did this to install XP ages ago and that was fine
    >>> but now when I try to boot from a cd I get this message 'memory
    >>> overflow error'. I have tried rearranging all IDE connections,
    >>> flashing BIOS and even using different CD/DVD drive. Nothing works
    >>> and I really want to play Far Cry 64. Any ideas would be a gtreat
    >>> help. Cheers

    >>
    >> Have you tried cleaning the CD with dishwashing detergent? Of course just
    >> air dry it afterwards.
    >>
    >>
    >> Wayne
    >>

    >
    >
     
    NNBXX, Jun 2, 2005
    #8
  9. Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
    > Did Martha Stewart teach you that Wayne? ;-)
    >


    LOL. :)
     
    Wayne Wastier, Jun 2, 2005
    #9
  10. I already tried the dishwasher and tumble dryer but as it's happening with
    more than one disc I don't think that's the problem.

    "Wayne Wastier" wrote:

    > Stu wrote:
    > > I am trying to installing XP 64 and the only way to do this is by
    > > booting from CD. I did this to install XP ages ago and that was fine
    > > but now when I try to boot from a cd I get this message 'memory
    > > overflow error'. I have tried rearranging all IDE connections,
    > > flashing BIOS and even using different CD/DVD drive. Nothing works
    > > and I really want to play Far Cry 64. Any ideas would be a gtreat
    > > help. Cheers

    >
    > Have you tried cleaning the CD with dishwashing detergent? Of course just
    > air dry it afterwards.
    >
    >
    > Wayne
    >
    >
    >
     
    =?Utf-8?B?U3R1?=, Jun 2, 2005
    #10
  11. Stu wrote:
    > I already tried the dishwasher and tumble dryer but as it's happening
    > with more than one disc I don't think that's the problem.
    >


    Tumble dryer? You know that will scratch the CD, right?

    Ok, next thing to check is your IDE cable. Make sure it is plugged in
    correctly. It is possible to plug those things in backwards on some systems.
    Make sure that the longest end goes to the motherboard, and make sure it is
    firmly seated on both the motherboard and the CD/DVD drive.


    Wayne
     
    Wayne Wastier, Jun 2, 2005
    #11
  12. I've swapped IDE cable with a spare to make sure it's not that and it is in
    the right way because it works in windows.

    "Wayne Wastier" wrote:

    > Stu wrote:
    > > I already tried the dishwasher and tumble dryer but as it's happening
    > > with more than one disc I don't think that's the problem.
    > >

    >
    > Tumble dryer? You know that will scratch the CD, right?
    >
    > Ok, next thing to check is your IDE cable. Make sure it is plugged in
    > correctly. It is possible to plug those things in backwards on some systems.
    > Make sure that the longest end goes to the motherboard, and make sure it is
    > firmly seated on both the motherboard and the CD/DVD drive.
    >
    >
    > Wayne
    >
    >
    >
     
    =?Utf-8?B?U3R1?=, Jun 2, 2005
    #12
  13. I received this error once when a drive was connected that had xp-32 on it.
    Try disconnecting the hard disk containing xp-32.

    --
    AMD FX-55
    2 GB Corsair Pro
    512 MB BFG 6800 Ultra
    (4) 73GB WD Raptors
    --------------------------
    And a bunch of hardware that isn't supported by XP 64 (And I have purchased
    the OEM version)


    "Stu" wrote:

    > I am trying to installing XP 64 and the only way to do this is by booting
    > from CD. I did this to install XP ages ago and that was fine but now when I
    > try to boot from a cd I get this message 'memory overflow error'. I have
    > tried rearranging all IDE connections, flashing BIOS and even using different
    > CD/DVD drive. Nothing works and I really want to play Far Cry 64. Any ideas
    > would be a gtreat help. Cheers
     
    =?Utf-8?B?Q0pN?=, Jun 2, 2005
    #13
  14. I tried that, I really don't think it's the CD it's the system.

    "CJM" wrote:

    > I received this error once when a drive was connected that had xp-32 on it.
    > Try disconnecting the hard disk containing xp-32.
    >
    > --
    > AMD FX-55
    > 2 GB Corsair Pro
    > 512 MB BFG 6800 Ultra
    > (4) 73GB WD Raptors
    > --------------------------
    > And a bunch of hardware that isn't supported by XP 64 (And I have purchased
    > the OEM version)
    >
    >
    > "Stu" wrote:
    >
    > > I am trying to installing XP 64 and the only way to do this is by booting
    > > from CD. I did this to install XP ages ago and that was fine but now when I
    > > try to boot from a cd I get this message 'memory overflow error'. I have
    > > tried rearranging all IDE connections, flashing BIOS and even using different
    > > CD/DVD drive. Nothing works and I really want to play Far Cry 64. Any ideas
    > > would be a gtreat help. Cheers
     
    =?Utf-8?B?U3R1?=, Jun 2, 2005
    #14
  15. =?Utf-8?B?U3R1?=

    richardc2000 Guest

    richardc2000, Jun 2, 2005
    #15
  16. Final conclusion, your disk drives are the problem?
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

    "Stu" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I tried that, I really don't think it's the CD it's the system.
    >
    > "CJM" wrote:
    >
    >> I received this error once when a drive was connected that had xp-32 on
    >> it.
    >> Try disconnecting the hard disk containing xp-32.
    >>
    >> --
    >> AMD FX-55
    >> 2 GB Corsair Pro
    >> 512 MB BFG 6800 Ultra
    >> (4) 73GB WD Raptors
    >> --------------------------
    >> And a bunch of hardware that isn't supported by XP 64 (And I have
    >> purchased
    >> the OEM version)
    >>
    >>
    >> "Stu" wrote:
    >>
    >> > I am trying to installing XP 64 and the only way to do this is by
    >> > booting
    >> > from CD. I did this to install XP ages ago and that was fine but now
    >> > when I
    >> > try to boot from a cd I get this message 'memory overflow error'. I
    >> > have
    >> > tried rearranging all IDE connections, flashing BIOS and even using
    >> > different
    >> > CD/DVD drive. Nothing works and I really want to play Far Cry 64. Any
    >> > ideas
    >> > would be a gtreat help. Cheers
     
    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 2, 2005
    #16
  17. richardc2000 wrote:
    > If it is not the CD or the CDROM, I would look at the BIOS and try the
    > Standart/FailSafe settings not the Optimal ones. I am assuming the
    > RAM is good and there is no overclocking.


    Also, to add to what Richard wrote, you could try flashing your BIOS to
    either a later version if one is available, or if not, flash to the first
    previous version available. Say, you are using 1.07, go back to 1.06 ...


    Wayne
     
    Wayne Wastier, Jun 2, 2005
    #17
  18. =?Utf-8?B?U3R1?=, Jun 2, 2005
    #18
  19. Hello Stu,
    From Reading the thread this is what I have gathered. Correct any of these
    that are wrong.
    This happens with multiple cds.
    This happens with more than one CD drive.
    This happens with more than one CD cable.
    This happens with known good cds.(they can boot on another system)

    Was any other hardware added to the system that could be interfering with
    this boot process?
    Was your BIOS updated from the time you first installed Windows XP by
    booting off the CD and the current failures?
    Can you reset the system back to BIOS defaults?
    Is the system overclocked?
    What is the DMA rate set to in the bios for the CD drive?

    From reading this it sounds like something changed in the hardware or
    additional hardware was added to the system.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    --------------------
    >Thread-Topic: Booting from XP 64 CD
    >thread-index: AcVnnyOqOuqiIf7OTBafHor3vtXNnA==
    >X-WBNR-Posting-Host: 86.131.116.43
    >From: =?Utf-8?B?U3R1?= <>
    >References: <>

    <#>
    <>
    <#AXG#>
    >Subject: Re: Booting from XP 64 CD
    >Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 11:16:04 -0700
    >Lines: 22
    >Message-ID: <>
    >MIME-Version: 1.0
    >Content-Type: text/plain;
    > charset="Utf-8"
    >Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    >X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
    >Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
    >Importance: normal
    >Priority: normal
    >X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.0
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    >NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGXA03.phx.gbl 10.40.2.250
    >Path: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA03.phx.gbl
    >Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:5544
    >X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    >
    >I've swapped IDE cable with a spare to make sure it's not that and it is

    in
    >the right way because it works in windows.
    >
    >"Wayne Wastier" wrote:
    >
    >> Stu wrote:
    >> > I already tried the dishwasher and tumble dryer but as it's happening
    >> > with more than one disc I don't think that's the problem.
    >> >

    >>
    >> Tumble dryer? You know that will scratch the CD, right?
    >>
    >> Ok, next thing to check is your IDE cable. Make sure it is plugged in
    >> correctly. It is possible to plug those things in backwards on some

    systems.
    >> Make sure that the longest end goes to the motherboard, and make sure it

    is
    >> firmly seated on both the motherboard and the CD/DVD drive.
    >>
    >>
    >> Wayne
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
     
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jun 2, 2005
    #19
  20. No, I'm questioning whether it could be that, not saying it is. You seem to
    have tried so many work arounds without success.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

    "Stu" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > How did you come to that?
    >
    >
    > "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
    >
    >> Final conclusion, your disk drives are the problem?
    >> --
    >> Andre
    >> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    >> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    >> http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    >> FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    >>
     
    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 2, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Thomas

    Dual Booting XP

    Thomas, Feb 26, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    522
    mikeFNB
    Feb 26, 2005
  2. Thomas

    Networking with dual booting

    Thomas, Mar 12, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    501
  3. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    531
    Leonidas Jones
    Nov 24, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?RGlh?=

    Strange booting problem...

    =?Utf-8?B?RGlh?=, Dec 5, 2005, in forum: Microsoft Certification
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    511
    =?Utf-8?B?ZmVsaXBlY3B2?=
    Dec 13, 2005
  5. Manuel Jung
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    448
    Manuel Jung
    Jul 21, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page