Booting from CD Rom - factory setting????

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike T., Jan 26, 2005.

  1. Mike T.

    Mike T. Guest

    Hi,

    I have a Medion laptop, dual booted with XP Home SP2/SuSE 8.2.

    My problem is as follows: When I attempt to boot from CD, the light comes on
    as if the system is trying to read it, but it does not boot. The BIOS shows
    everything to be in order (CD > Ext. device > hard drive). This has happened
    with several different bootable CDs (XP, SuSE 9.1, Knoppix), all of which
    boot perfectly on all my other machines.

    The one exception: Booting from the manufacturer's rescue disk. This works
    perfectly.

    The manufacturer's support department claims that they don't do anything to
    disable CD booting from other CDs, but I'm skeptical.

    I'm looking to do a long overdue flush/reinstall of the system, but don't
    really want to reinstall all the preloaded crap that came with the laptop.
    I'd alo like to test out different Linux distros (note: the initial SuSE
    install was done through FTP, but I'd prefer using CDs.

    Has anyone run across this in the past? Thanks.

    Mike

    Mike T., Jan 26, 2005

  2. Mike T.

    jp10558 Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:28:27 +0100, Mike T. wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a Medion laptop, dual booted with XP Home SP2/SuSE 8.2.
    >
    > My problem is as follows: When I attempt to boot from CD, the light comes on
    > as if the system is trying to read it, but it does not boot. The BIOS shows
    > everything to be in order (CD > Ext. device > hard drive). This has happened
    > with several different bootable CDs (XP, SuSE 9.1, Knoppix), all of which
    > boot perfectly on all my other machines.
    >
    > The one exception: Booting from the manufacturer's rescue disk. This works
    > perfectly.
    >
    > The manufacturer's support department claims that they don't do anything to
    > disable CD booting from other CDs, but I'm skeptical.
    >
    > I'm looking to do a long overdue flush/reinstall of the system, but don't
    > really want to reinstall all the preloaded crap that came with the laptop.
    > I'd alo like to test out different Linux distros (note: the initial SuSE
    > install was done through FTP, but I'd prefer using CDs.
    >
    > Has anyone run across this in the past? Thanks.
    >
    > Mike

    I have, but not with any consistancy. Some discs just don't boot in some
    drives. I haven't often had problems with pressed discs (only once - some
    RedHat 7.3 discs that came with a textbook) but burned ones can be a bitch.

    I don't really have any advice - for me I just tried my other DVD-Rom, and
    they worked, not likely a solution on a laptop.

    jp10558, Jan 26, 2005

  3. Mike T.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Mike T." <root@127.0.0.1> wrote in message