    I can make partitions for Win 3.11 if I have too

    (I have tried putting command.com and cmd.exe on the disk)

    -Thanks
    Uplink, Dec 19, 2005

  2. Uplink

    nos1eep Guest

    On 19 Dec 2005 12:37:51 -0800, "Uplink" <> spewed
    the following drivel:

    <I downloaded Windows 3.11, and burnt (burned?) all the files to a
    <burnable CD. I restarted with the CD in the drive and it booted
    <normally. I tried adding "autorun.inf" with the right parametres, and
    <it still won't work
    <
    <I want to know if there is a way to get it to boot from a disk to
    <install windows 3.11
    <
    <I can make partitions for Win 3.11 if I have too
    <
    <(I have tried putting command.com and cmd.exe on the disk)
    <

    How's it going Travis?
    -nos1eep

    -Scaling up the heights of folly.
    -non est ponenda pluritas sine necessitate
    nos1eep, Dec 19, 2005

  3. Uplink

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Uplink wrote:
    > I downloaded Windows 3.11, and burnt (burned?) all the files to a
    > burnable CD. I restarted with the CD in the drive and it booted
    > normally. I tried adding "autorun.inf" with the right parametres, and
    > it still won't work
    >
    > I want to know if there is a way to get it to boot from a disk to
    > install windows 3.11

    Yes, there is, but unless you have an understanding of how to make a
    bootable CD, and how to write a batch file, it would be easier to do it
    manually.

    You need to install DOS first, then install Windows 3.11

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Dec 19, 2005
  4. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    Who? I'm not Travis, you must be confused with someone with the same
    name from another newsgroup
    Uplink, Dec 20, 2005
  5. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    I know how to write a batch file, and have SOME understanding of
    bootable cds.

    I have VMWare Workstation and will install WIn 3.11 on it because I
    know Win 3.11 can't install on the NTFS file system, needs FAT12,
    right?. I have tried some programs to make a bootable cd image (.img)
    but it won't work

    I basicly need a program to make a boot image that will start setup.exe

    -Thanks
    Uplink, Dec 20, 2005
  6. Uplink

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Uplink wrote:
    > I know how to write a batch file, and have SOME understanding of
    > bootable cds.
    >
    > I have VMWare Workstation and will install WIn 3.11 on it because I
    > know Win 3.11 can't install on the NTFS file system, needs FAT12,
    > right?. I have tried some programs to make a bootable cd image (.img)
    > but it won't work
    >
    > I basicly need a program to make a boot image that will start setup.exe
    >
    > -Thanks

    How does VMWare Workstation recommend you do it? I assumed (wrongly)
    that you wanted to install it on a separate drive, which normally would
    be FAT16.

    Remember that WIN 3.11 is not an operating system and runs on top of
    DOS, so that must be installed first.

    The bootdisk part is relatively simple. Download a bootdisk from
    somewhere like www.bootdisk.com and make sure it has CD drivers present.
    Alter the AUTOEXEC.BAT file on the bootdisk to switch to the
    windows install directory on the CD, and run SETUP.EXE After making
    sure the bootdisk works, use your burning program (I use Nero) to make a
    bootable CD containing the floppy image and a windows install directory.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Dec 20, 2005
  7. Uplink

    Fakename Guest

    I think you have just enough computer literacy to confuse the shit out
    of yourself.

    /just sayin

    pssst, guest file systems are independent of their host in vmware.

    Fakename, Dec 20, 2005
  8. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    What is wrong with you Fakename? , making a bootable CD-ROM is NOT
    easy. Well, to some people they can do it really fast, to others they
    cannot even learn, I can learn how to do it if someone can help me.

    I have all the Windows 3.11 files on CD-ROM. I have WinImage to create
    image files but can't really use it right. I added "setup.exe" to a
    image file I made called "boot.img"

    I burnt (burned?) it to the same CD-ROM with the files and it still
    wound't boot in restart or on VMWare.

    I need to know what to write to the image, what to name it, and
    anything else.

    Links to any site that helps will be good

    ====Uplink====
    Uplink, Dec 20, 2005
  9. Uplink

    Fakename Guest

    My comment also refered to other things you've said. My opion stands,
    you have enough knowledge to be dangerous, but not enough to be very
    productive.

    I guess the think I don't like about you is you attitude, also in
    reference to a different thread.

    Fakename, Dec 21, 2005
  10. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    More destructive than productive? I have no idea what that means,
    anyway

    Maybe, I, didn't make my problem clear enough (I don't think I did). I
    have a better understanding on how bootable CDs work know. I'll try to
    explain this as clear as possible

    I downloaded Windows 3.11 for Workgroups in .zip format, extracted the
    folders that were named "disk1, disk2, disk3" all the way to disk8 in
    my c:\unzipped folder. I then copied the folders to a CD-R. I then used
    WinImage to make an ISO of the CD-R I made, got another burnable disk,
    burnt the ISO, and selected the "Use ISO" source in VMWare, the source
    was right (D:\WIN311.iso), and it said that I didn't have a bootable
    floppy in there

    Please help as I have no understanding about what is wrong with this.

    I also tried using DOSbox, which was really slow, and then using
    freeDOS which didn't work as I used VMWare
    Uplink, Dec 21, 2005
  11. Uplink

    nos1eep Guest

    On 20 Dec 2005 22:19:38 -0800, "Uplink" <> spewed
    the following drivel:

[...]

    You have to have a separate image of each floppy, which you already
    have. Point VMWare to your DOS 6.xxx, install DOS, install WfW.
    Separate floppies, get it? Disk one, Disk two, ect.

    then http://www.oldos.org/howtos/wfw311vmware.php

    nos1eep, Dec 21, 2005
  12. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    OH! I get it now! I put the contents of the folder "Disk1" into the
    image file "disk1.img", and so on. I do that with DOS and Windows 3.11.
    But one thing, VMWare doesn't have the source image option, I can point
    it to ISO file, but can't manually point it to img file.

    If VMWare doesn't work the best, I can get Microsoft Virtual PC
    Uplink, Dec 21, 2005
  13. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    Thanks nos1eep, but that how to only worked until the DOS part, I have
    a laptop, and don't have a floppy drive.

    I just have a CD/DVD-+RW drive and 128MB Memory Key, is there a way I
    could install DOS from my memory key (e:\) or install it from CD.

    -Uplink
    Uplink, Dec 21, 2005
  14. Uplink

    nos1eep Guest

    On 21 Dec 2005 14:49:53 -0800, "Uplink" <> spewed
    the following drivel:

    <Thanks nos1eep, but that how to only worked until the DOS part, I
    have
    <a laptop, and don't have a floppy drive.
    <
    <I just have a CD/DVD-+RW drive and 128MB Memory Key, is there a way I
    <could install DOS from my memory key (e:\) or install it from CD.
    <
    <-Uplink

    Yeah, well, good luck. I do not care enough about this stuff to bother
    with it. I can tell you where to get an emulater that will do DOS.
    http://www.emulators.com/download.htm As far as installing a true
    version of DOS, If I needed an image I would try p2p.

    nos1eep, Dec 22, 2005
  15. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    I'll think I'll stick with emulators.com to emulate DOS, then install
    Windows 3.11 on it, I'm also going to emulate Mac System 7.5, but I
    know how to do that.
    Uplink, Dec 22, 2005