bootflash

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by tony, Sep 12, 2006.

  1. tony

    tony Guest

    I am confused about where cisco stores the configuration file, rommon, ios
    image etc...

    I have a 4506 with a flash card. Is that where the ios image is stored?

    when I do a copy run or copy flash ?

    bootflash: Copy to bootflash: file system
    cat4000_flash: Copy to cat4000_flash: file system
    ftp: Copy to ftp: file system
    http: Copy to http: file system
    null: Copy to null: file system
    nvram: Copy to nvram: file system
    rcp: Copy to rcp: file system
    running-config Update (merge with) current system configuration
    slot0: Copy to slot0: file system
    startup-config Copy to startup configuration
    system: Copy to system: file system
    tftp: Copy to tftp: file system

    what is all these options?

    tony, Sep 12, 2006

  2. In article <ee6s77$101$>, tony <> wrote:
    >I am confused about where cisco stores the configuration file, rommon, ios
    >image etc...

    >I have a 4506 with a flash card. Is that where the ios image is stored?

    Yes.

    >when I do a copy run or copy flash ?

    copy to flash if you want to create a -new- file.

    copy to running-config if you want to merge the source file with
    the active configuration

    copy to startup-config if you want to affect the configuration
    that the device will boot with next powerup or reset.

    Walter Roberson, Sep 12, 2006

  3. "tony" <> writes:
    >I am confused about where cisco stores the configuration file, rommon, ios
    >image etc...

    The configuration file is stored in the nvram: device, some seperate
    flash ROM on the motherboard somewhere. rommon depends quite a bit on
    the device, but usually some Flash ROM on the motherboard. IOS is
    usually stored in the big Flash ROM bank whatever that maybe on a device.

    >I have a 4506 with a flash card. Is that where the ios image is stored?

    Yes.

    >when I do a copy run or copy flash ?

    copy run tftp

    copy flash tftp
    ??

    Or spell out all the long drawn out ones that textbooks usually tell
    you to use.

    >bootflash: Copy to bootflash: file system
    > cat4000_flash: Copy to cat4000_flash: file system
    > ftp: Copy to ftp: file system
    > http: Copy to http: file system
    > null: Copy to null: file system
    > nvram: Copy to nvram: file system
    > rcp: Copy to rcp: file system
    > running-config Update (merge with) current system configuration
    > slot0: Copy to slot0: file system
    > startup-config Copy to startup configuration
    > system: Copy to system: file system
    > tftp: Copy to tftp: file system

    >what is all these options?

    Fairly obvious for most of them? Fairly useless to give you all those
    options, but cisco generalizes almost to the point to the Unix systems
    that they originated on instead of giving you the few options that are
    usually used.

    Ie. you wouldn't want to copy anything to null: but its probably there
    for testing purposes. slot0: is the same as flash: usually. You
    wouldn't want to ever write anything into system: but its there for
    diag purposes, somebody may want to read something out of system:

    Doug McIntyre, Sep 13, 2006