    Are they a useful route to certification, and are they
    worth the cost?

    ANy opinions appreciated :)

    MattWoberts, Nov 30, 2004

  2. Hmmm, a double edged sword this one.

    Personally, I don't agree with BootCamps. Well, at least the certification
    ones, I already did the military one, those are brutal.

    Here's my rationale behind not likeing them.

    They are designed to take from where you are to the stage at which you can
    pass the exams. A nobel goal. However, the problem is that you learn only
    what you need to know to pass the exams.

    When you get your MCSD you are expected to know how to develop software
    applications with the .NET framework and Microsoft languages. Will you be
    able to do that? Not with just the knowledge gained from the BootCamp.

    Microsoft recommends programming in .NET for about 2 years before attempting
    the exams. This is based mostly on the success and failure of test takers
    and the answers provided in the surveys.

    I have been using .NET since I was a beta tester of Visual Studio 2002. I
    am just now getting around to finishing up my MCSD. Why? Because I want to
    be able to write the exams knowing how to program .NET, not knowing what to
    expect on an exam and how to answer the questions.

    If you go to a BootCamp, it is my belief that you will come out of there
    knowing the answers to the exam questions and being able to pass the exams,
    they guarantee it, but you will still not know how to program in .NET.

    When someone asks you about activating a serviced component on a computer so
    your client can access the COM built component, you will be able to say,
    "Yeah, I remember that on the exam". But will you be able to actually code
    it?

    My 2 cents worth.

    --
    Gerry O'Brien
    Visual Basic .NET MVP

    Gerry O'Brien [MVP], Dec 7, 2004

  3. MattWoberts

    Joe Guest

    I attended a bootcamp. I won't say which one. Doing the
    exercises was very helpful. But the instruction wasn't.
    The answer to most questions was, "There's an advanced
    class for that."

    Bootcamps are a good shotgun solution. They cover a lot
    but not with much detail. If you really want to develop
    solutions, you still need to pound the keyboard as well
    as read a lot.

    My opinion,
    Joe

    Joe, Jan 21, 2005