    I appreciate any insight

    Steven

    , Feb 21, 2004

  2. >Is it worth to take attend a MCSD.NET boot camp?

    If you work with the product, there is certainly no need to attend any
    sort of training (let those 'bootcamps') in order to pass these type
    of exams. The prep guide and msdn are all you need.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Feb 21, 2004

  3. Guest

    Well, think I going to do it.

    To get all done in 14 days would be a good boost to my resume at this point.

    Steven

    , Feb 22, 2004
  4. >Well, think I going to do it.

    As long as you're not paying for it.

    >To get all done in 14 days would be a good boost to my resume at this point.

    Don't count on it.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Feb 22, 2004
  5. Guest

    so what is the MCSD POINT?

    , Feb 23, 2004
  6. Eric Guest

    wrote:

    > Well, think I going to do it.
    >
    > To get all done in 14 days would be a good boost to my resume at this
    > point.
    >
    > Steven

    I have a real problem with anyone is telling you 14 days is the right
    timeframe to get MCSD starting from scratch!

    Surely you can tell that this is either illegal, or deceitful.

    On the other hand, 14 weeks might be more realistic. Assuming you have
    at least 40 hours of training a week.

    If you're studying on a parttime basis, then 14 weeks would be right
    for 1 test.

    Eric, Feb 23, 2004
  7. >so what is the MCSD POINT?

    Take a look around at all the scams, the brain dumps and cheats that
    thrive on making money out of the ms certification process. Ask
    yourself this question: - When point is a 'certification' if the
    certification does prove the holder is actual worthy of the title?
    This is why most company don't give a damn about microsoft
    certifications.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Feb 23, 2004
  8. Rick Guest

    i am in a mcsd bootcamp right now and there is no way
    that i could have passed the exams without this ... my
    particular camp is not a memory cramp session ... we are
    ACTUALLY learning .net technology ... i don't regret it a
    bit ..

    Rick, Feb 24, 2004
  9. Guest

    I have been working with the .NET Framework on my own for a year. Pretty
    much all of my training has come from the world of hard knocks (Me banging
    my head against the table).

    And lets be practical, working (40-60 hours) and finding time to study for
    exams that don't necessarily match the real world can be tough.

    Yes, it is expensive but the compression of time and gaining the credentials
    has its appeal.

    Now some would say the real world experience is what companies are looking
    for, but I have more than 9 years experience and no college degree. The
    current employment market is employers' market.

    , Feb 24, 2004
  10. To achieve good understanding of .NET (needed for MCAD) you must have about
    50 days training 4 hours each day, that time is sufficient for going thru 6
    MSDN courses ( for example 2159, 2389, 2565, 2310, 2524, 2557) from my
    experience. That means you need at last 200 hours of hard dedicated training
    and I am pretty much sure that same is valid for some independed track. So
    if that BootCamps manage to put 200 effective hours in two weeks it's O.K.
    Regards,
    Daniel

    Daniel Joskovski, Feb 24, 2004
  11. charlie Guest

    The place that I went to shipped you the books ahead of time so that you
    could
    do the labs on your own before you got there. That way you spend more on the
    subject than what was just in class....

    charlie

    charlie, Feb 25, 2004
  12. Eric Guest

    wrote:

    > I have been working with the .NET Framework on my own for a year.
    > Pretty much all of my training has come from the world of hard knocks
    > (Me banging my head against the table).
    >
    > And lets be practical, working (40-60 hours) and finding time to
    > study for exams that don't necessarily match the real world can be
    > tough.
    >
    > Yes, it is expensive but the compression of time and gaining the
    > credentials has its appeal.
    >
    > Now some would say the real world experience is what companies are
    > looking for, but I have more than 9 years experience and no college
    > degree. The current employment market is employers' market.

    I'm not against you taking this class, but I want you to be careful so
    you don't waste your money with a dumpy school that makes a lot of
    empty promises and charges you a lot of money.

    Please do some checking of other schools. I don't know of ANY school in
    today's .NET world of developer testing that will promise that you'll
    pass with only 14 days of training. The tests are harder now than they
    used to be, and reputable schools don't want to give you false hopes.

    Certainly, no school recommended by Microsoft (or partnered with them)
    will ever make a promise like this!

    I definitely agree with Boot Camps in general! I always recommend that
    people take these if they can afford it. But please do more checking
    before you settle on one specific school. Don't get swindled.

    Eric

    Eric, Feb 25, 2004
  13. Guest

    I appreciate the advice Eric.

    I give you an update after March 15th

    Steven

    , Feb 26, 2004
  14. Roy Lawson Guest

    Having never attended a bootcamp, I can't say if they
    would help you pass or not...my guess is that you would be
    able to. I know of people who go and get certified in a
    week or two, but my oppinion of those people aren't very
    high.

    I feel that bootcamps and quite frankly the structure of
    the exam (prone to cheating) devalues this certification.
    I am MCAD and working on MCSD, but I took my first .NET
    exam over 6 months ago. I spend a good 2-3 weeks studying
    for each exam and hardcore on weekends, plus I work with
    the technology in my job. I have failed exams as well (MS
    appreciates the extra money).

    You can pass these exams never attending a class or paying
    for a bootcamp...plus you can feel some pride about your
    accomplishment.

    I am from the camp that believes that new people in this
    field should have at least a 4 year degree in a related
    field, and then gain certification as you go. The lack of
    formalized training in this field creates a bunch of fly-
    by-nights who don't have the broad understanding that they
    need to develop software. A certification is meaningless
    if you don't apply what you learn while studying for the
    exam.

    You can't absorb all this information in a couple weeks.
    It takes months just to build a foundation, and then many
    more months and perhaps years to be good at it. I am a
    mediocre developer, and don't expect to be good for
    another few years. This is something that takes time.

    I would hope that anyone entering this field without any
    prior experience or a degree in place of experience would
    not even attempt the MCSD. I wish there were either
    educational or experience requirements in order to attain
    the certification.

    I see this industry moving to India at break neck speeds,
    and we certainly don't need more underqualified people in
    it.

    Roy

    Roy Lawson, Mar 7, 2004
  15. Ken Ross Guest

    Re: BootCamps, Where are they?

    (madmics) wrote in

    > Congratulations on passing the exams. For those who have done
    > bootcamps could you be so kind as to tell me where you went. I have
    > called www.lighthouse-training.com and they never call me back. I've
    > also looked at www.trainingcamp.com but haven't contacted them yet.
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

    I've just gone through a similar experience with www.mTrain.net

    Great instruction and they're more interested in getting useful "real
    world" concepts over to you than just 'cramming' for the exams (although
    they do help you through that too and most of us have been passing them).

    Ken Ross, Apr 23, 2004