Bootcamp vs self study

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Al Taylor, Nov 6, 2006.

  1. Al Taylor

    Al Taylor Guest

    Good afternoon folks,

    I have a question, but first let me tell you a little about myself.

    I am 46 years old, been in the computer industry since the early 1980's. In
    1985 I became a Novell Instructor and soon after was hired by Novell as a
    CNI, later that year I earned my CNE, remember this was 1985-1986 and we are
    talking about Netware 2.x leading to Netware 3.x in the 1990's during this
    time I maintained and honed my networking skills. I rember laughing at other
    instructors who were learning this 'new-fangled' Windows stuff. I called
    windows NT 'NotThere'.

    I got a job at IBM in the late 90's and thought that I had 'arrived'. Yes I
    worked with windows even built a couple of small Win2k networks, an played
    around with AD and group policy and built a wireless network for my church
    and at home.

    I was 'downsized' from IBM shortly after 911. Since then I have worked a
    string of 'dead-end' jobs.

    My question is this.

    Am I crazy to think that a MCDST cert wold open a few doors, not IBM type
    doors of course but lower level?

    What do you guys think of boot camp vs self study?

    Do any of you know anything about Unitek? (www.unitek.com)

    Thanks

    Al Taylor

    Al Taylor, Nov 6, 2006

  2. With your experience, I think employers would think you are over
    qualified for a "MCDST" type position. Are you having trouble locating
    employment with your past experience? Or are you wanting to get into the
    "break/fix" side of the I.T. industry?

    --
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Nov 7, 2006

  3. Al Taylor

    Al Taylor Guest

    Thanks for replying Michael.

    To answer your question... I NEVER THOUGHT having IBM and Novell would be a
    detrament to me as I left both companies on very good terms. My feeling is
    that my age (46) and NOT having a microsoft cert under my belt are holding me
    back. I want to use MCDST as a stepping stone to MCSE and/or MCSA and maybe
    MCT. Right now I do not have the money to attend MCSE/MCSA courses so MCDST
    would 'get my foot in the door' and allow me to persue the others. Am I
    looking at the situation correctly?

    Al Taylor

    Al Taylor, Nov 7, 2006
  4. Al,
    I have similar problem. I am 45 and feel that my age is going against me.
    I have many years experience but no one seems to care. I don't have any MS
    qualifications so I am studying for the mcdst.

    Philippa Bursey, Nov 7, 2006
  5. What types of jobs (careers) are you guys looking to fill? What path are
    you interested in taking?

    --
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Nov 8, 2006
  6. Al Taylor

    M Guest

    "Al Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > Good afternoon folks,
    >
    > I have a question, but first let me tell you a little about myself.
    >
    > I am 46 years old, been in the computer industry since the early 1980's.
    > In
    > 1985 I became a Novell Instructor and soon after was hired by Novell as a
    > CNI, later that year I earned my CNE, remember this was 1985-1986 and we
    > are
    > talking about Netware 2.x leading to Netware 3.x in the 1990's during this
    > time I maintained and honed my networking skills. I rember laughing at
    > other
    > instructors who were learning this 'new-fangled' Windows stuff. I called
    > windows NT 'NotThere'.
    >
    > I got a job at IBM in the late 90's and thought that I had 'arrived'. Yes
    > worked with windows even built a couple of small Win2k networks, an played
    > around with AD and group policy and built a wireless network for my church
    > and at home.
    >
    > I was 'downsized' from IBM shortly after 911. Since then I have worked a
    > string of 'dead-end' jobs.
    >
    > My question is this.
    >
    > Am I crazy to think that a MCDST cert wold open a few doors, not IBM type
    > doors of course but lower level?
    >
    > What do you guys think of boot camp vs self study?
    >
    > Do any of you know anything about Unitek? (www.unitek.com)
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Al Taylor

    Bootcamp will do no more for you than self study other than empty your
    wallet! With you experience self study should not be any problem at all.

    M, Nov 8, 2006