    works fine it I burn to CD but I want to be able to boot from USB (PC
    does support USB boot BTW).

    , Sep 11, 2009

  2. why? Guest

    On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 05:54:37 -0700 (PDT),
    wrote:

    >Is there a way to do this?

    Yes, extract the files from the ISO and copy to USB stick.

    >The bootable ISO image is some sort of minimal Linux by the looks. It

    Any particular Linux?

    >works fine it I burn to CD but I want to be able to boot from USB (PC
    >does support USB boot BTW).

    Worked with Ubuntu a few months ago, seemed simple enough.

    1st google search hit for boot linux usb

    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

    Me

    why?, Sep 11, 2009

  3. Jordon Guest

    wrote:
    > Is there a way to do this?
    >
    > The bootable ISO image is some sort of minimal Linux by the looks. It
    > works fine it I burn to CD but I want to be able to boot from USB (PC
    > does support USB boot BTW).

    Bootable ISO images are bootable on whatever
    media you put them on so long as the BIOS
    will boot to the media. The problem is getting
    the ISO on the media. Most programs that put
    an image on a CD don't support putting them
    on a flash drive. Some that are free, do. But
    what you use would depend on the OS on the PC,
    which you haven't mentioned. If Windows, try...

    http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

    --
    Jordon

    Jordon, Sep 11, 2009
  4. <> pinched out a
    steaming pile of<3bc0d633-a4ba-446c-866f-
    >:

    > Is there a way to do this?
    >
    > The bootable ISO image is some sort of minimal Linux by the looks. It
    > works fine it I burn to CD but I want to be able to boot from USB (PC
    > does support USB boot BTW).

    Theres plenty of USB optimised linux distros.
    Xposted to appropriate newsgroup.

    §ñühw¤£f, Sep 11, 2009
  5. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    > The bootable ISO image is some sort of minimal Linux by the looks.

    Name it. See below.

    > It
    > works fine it I burn to CD but I want to be able to boot from USB (PC
    > does support USB boot BTW).

    Depending on the linux distro, many linuxes support -1- booting from the
    live CD and then -2- installing the distro to a bootable USB flashdrive.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 11, 2009
  6. Guest

    On Sep 11, 3:15 pm, Jordon <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Is there a way to do this?

    > > The bootable ISO image is some sort of minimal Linux by the looks. It
    > > works fine it I burn to CD but I want to be able to boot from USB (PC
    > > does support USB boot BTW).

    > Bootable ISO images are bootable on whatever
    > media you put them on so long as the BIOS
    > will boot to the media. The problem is getting
    > the ISO on the media. Most programs that put
    > an image on a CD don't support putting them
    > on a flash drive. Some that are free, do. But
    > what you use would depend on the OS on the PC,
    > which you haven't mentioned. If Windows, try...
    >
    > http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > --
    > Jordon

    Its actually an acronis boot cd - looks like some sort of linux
    minimal thing to be honest.

    , Sep 14, 2009
  7. Guest

    On Sep 11, 3:15 pm, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 05:54:37 -0700 (PDT),
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Is there a way to do this?

    > Yes, extract the files from the ISO and copy to USB stick.
    >
    > >The bootable ISO image is some sort of minimal Linux by the looks. It

    > Any particular Linux?
    >
    > >works fine it I burn to CD but I want to be able to boot from USB (PC
    > >does support USB boot BTW).

    > Worked with Ubuntu a few months ago, seemed simple enough.
    >
    > 1st google search hit for boot linux usb
    >
    > http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
    >
    > Me

    Yes. But that doesnt copy the boot sector stuff, does it?

    , Sep 14, 2009
  8. Guest

    On Sep 11, 6:56 pm, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > The bootable ISO image is some sort of minimal Linux by the looks.

    > Name it.  See below.
    >
    > > It
    > > works fine it I burn to CD but I want to be able to boot from USB (PC
    > > does support USB boot BTW).

    > Depending on the linux distro, many linuxes support -1- booting from the
    > live CD and then -2- installing the distro to a bootable USB flashdrive.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Its not a linux distro. Its actually the boot CD that acronis backup
    and restore produces. It just looks like linux. It might not be.

    , Sep 14, 2009