    drive. If so, how is it done please?

    --
    Alasdair.
    Alasdair, Aug 29, 2007

  2. Alasdair

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-08-29, Alasdair <> wrote:
    > Is it possible to install a bootable operating system on a flash
    > drive. If so, how is it done please?

    Yes: Linux. For example "Mandriva Flash" if you want to buy one
    pre-installed
    <http://www.mandriva.com/en/individuals/products/node_3482>. Or you can
    do it yourself starting with something like "Puppy Linux"
    <http://www.puppylinux.com/>. "Damn Small Linux", "Feather Linux",
    "GentooTH Live CD/USB Linux", and "Knopperdisk", are also listed in
    response to a search for USB Drive distros at <http://distrowatch.com/>.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Aug 29, 2007

  3. Alasdair

    Mike Easter Guest

    Alasdair wrote:
    > Is it possible to install a bootable operating system on a flash
    > drive. If so, how is it done please?

    Yes. A popular one is Puppy linux, which has been installed from flash
    drives as small as 128 meg and has tutorials at its website telling how
    to do it and different people's experience with various flash drives.
    Puppy is a free 60 meg download and typically runs in your computer's
    ram. Puppy also sells USB flash drives with puppy installed, but the
    puppy site is currently undergoing a massive revision, so I'm having
    trouble finding things like the link to the USB + puppy page.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 29, 2007
  4. Alasdair

    Vanguard Guest

    "Alasdair" wrote in message
    > Is it possible to install a bootable operating system on a flash
    > drive. If so, how is it done please?

    Does the BIOS of every host to which you carry this USB flash drive
    support booting from a USB device?
    Vanguard, Aug 29, 2007
  5. Alasdair

    Guest

    Alasdair <> wrote:

    >Is it possible to install a bootable operating system on a flash
    >drive. If so, how is it done please?

    To install an OS you need to be able to boot your USB pen drive
    Google: SP27213.exe
    download and format your device with that program

    also google: (your OS) on USB
    --
    Suicide By Ballpoint Pen
    http://tinyurl.com/3yfboo
  6. Alasdair

    Alasdair Guest

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:09:53 +0100, Whiskers
    <> wrote:

    >Yes: Linux. For example "Mandriva Flash" if you want to buy one
    >pre-installed

    Is it only Linux you can do this with? What about Windows XP?

    --
    Alasdair.
    Alasdair, Aug 29, 2007
  7. Alasdair

    Ron Martell Guest

    Alasdair <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:09:53 +0100, Whiskers
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Yes: Linux. For example "Mandriva Flash" if you want to buy one
    >>pre-installed

    >Is it only Linux you can do this with? What about Windows XP?

    No. Windows XP does not support installs onto any removeable device.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."
    Ron Martell, Aug 29, 2007
  8. Alasdair

    Noxonomus Guest

    Noxonomus, Aug 29, 2007
  9. Alasdair

    John Holmes Guest

    Ron Martell "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Alasdair <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:09:53 +0100, Whiskers
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Yes: Linux. For example "Mandriva Flash" if you want to buy one
    >>>pre-installed

    >>Is it only Linux you can do this with? What about Windows XP?

    > No. Windows XP does not support installs onto any removeable device.

    So you wouldn't call a CDR a removable device, eh? For your information:
    with some hacks, it's possible to run XP from a live CD or even a USB
    stick. (For the latter: if the BIOS allows booting from USB devices) It's
    not supported by MS, but that's why you are some obscure MVP who doesn't
    know shit about this exercise. Aside, even your webskills suck.

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    Get fucked, Ron.

    --
    Your mother was a genitally-challenged bit-part actress who was so ugly
    she had to be kept in closets.
    John Holmes, Aug 29, 2007
  10. Alasdair

    Guest

    Noxonomus <> wrote:

    >On 29 Aug 2007 Ron Martell <> wrote:
    >
    >> Alasdair <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is it only Linux you can do this with? What about Windows XP?

    >> No. Windows XP does not support installs onto any removeable device.

    >Actually you can
    >http://www.informationweek.com/shared/printableArticle.jhtml?articleID=
    >177102101

    Your link is shot, so is mine
    http://tomshardware.co.uk/2005/09/09/windows_in_your_pocket/

    both sites are back tracking.

    --
    Golf Shot
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=zKcBTaTed0Q
  11. Alasdair

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:17:20 +0200, John Holmes wrote:

    > Ron Martell "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> Alasdair <> wrote:

    >>>Is it only Linux you can do this with? What about Windows XP?

    >> No. Windows XP does not support installs onto any removeable device.

    > So you wouldn't call a CDR a removable device, eh? For your information:
    > with some hacks, it's possible to run XP from a live CD or even a USB
    > stick. (For the latter: if the BIOS allows booting from USB devices) It's
    > not supported by MS, but that's why you are some obscure MVP who doesn't
    > know shit about this exercise. Aside, even your webskills suck.
    >
    >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    > Get fucked, Ron.

    I've fucked around with booting SBS 2003 off a USB drive. It did actually
    boot up but IIRC zonked out soon after. I imagine XP would run just fine
    from a removable drive. Don't they do this in college?
    Meat Plow, Aug 29, 2007
  12. Alasdair

    Plato Guest

    Alasdair wrote:

    > Is it possible to install a bootable operating system on a flash
    > drive. If so, how is it done please?

    It depends on the OS you want to put on the flash drive. Too bad you
    didn't say.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 30, 2007
  13. Alasdair

    John Holmes Guest

    Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:17:20 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
    >
    >> Ron Martell "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> No. Windows XP does not support installs onto any removeable
    >>> device.

    >> So you wouldn't call a CDR a removable device, eh? For your
    >> information: with some hacks, it's possible to run XP from a live CD
    >> or even a USB stick. (For the latter: if the BIOS allows booting from
    >> USB devices) It's not supported by MS, but that's why you are some
    >> obscure MVP who doesn't know shit about this exercise. Aside, even
    >> your webskills suck.
    >>
    >>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    >> Get fucked, Ron.

    > I've fucked around with booting SBS 2003 off a USB drive. It did
    > actually boot up but IIRC zonked out soon after. I imagine XP would
    > run just fine from a removable drive. Don't they do this in college?

    I've been able to succesfully run XP Pro from a USB stick. Just to find
    out how stuff works. I never had college myself, I'm a self made man with
    a computer lab here to play with. Appearently, that Ron Martell never had
    college either, but he's dumb and ignorant to find out himself that it
    works very well before coming up with his fucked up replies. Damn, have
    you looked at his website? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

    --
    Your mother was an extravagant stripper who always used to wake up in a
    brothel.
    John Holmes, Aug 30, 2007
  14. Alasdair

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:39:23 +0200, John Holmes wrote:

    > Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:17:20 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ron Martell "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> So you wouldn't call a CDR a removable device, eh? For your
    >>> information: with some hacks, it's possible to run XP from a live CD
    >>> or even a USB stick. (For the latter: if the BIOS allows booting from
    >>> USB devices) It's not supported by MS, but that's why you are some
    >>> obscure MVP who doesn't know shit about this exercise. Aside, even
    >>> your webskills suck.

    >>> Get fucked, Ron.

    >> I've fucked around with booting SBS 2003 off a USB drive. It did
    >> actually boot up but IIRC zonked out soon after. I imagine XP would
    >> run just fine from a removable drive. Don't they do this in college?
    >>

    > I've been able to succesfully run XP Pro from a USB stick. Just to find
    > out how stuff works. I never had college myself, I'm a self made man with
    > a computer lab here to play with. Appearently, that Ron Martell never had
    > college either, but he's dumb and ignorant to find out himself that it
    > works very well before coming up with his fucked up replies. Damn, have
    > you looked at his website? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

    Guess I'll have to have a look now :)
    Meat Plow, Aug 30, 2007
  15. Alasdair

    John Holmes Guest

    Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:39:23 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> I've fucked around with booting SBS 2003 off a USB drive. It did
    >>> actually boot up but IIRC zonked out soon after. I imagine XP would
    >>> run just fine from a removable drive. Don't they do this in college?
    >>>

    >> I've been able to succesfully run XP Pro from a USB stick. Just to
    >> find out how stuff works. I never had college myself, I'm a self made
    >> man with a computer lab here to play with. Appearently, that Ron
    >> Martell never had college either, but he's dumb and ignorant to find
    >> out himself that it works very well before coming up with his fucked
    >> up replies. Damn, have you looked at his website?
    >> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

    > Guess I'll have to have a look now :)

    What a fuckin' moron, eh? The only reason I don't killfile the fucker is
    because I need a new keyboard each and every time I read one of his
    fuckwitted replies. He also claims to be a MVP. <choke cough> Dammit, I
    yet need another keyboard. And something to clean up my TFT screen.

    --
    Your mother was a two-faced offender who spread her legs on a roadworks
    site.
    John Holmes, Aug 30, 2007