Bootable Floppy/CD Quest., & Also re Boot Order Questions

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Dec 3, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    a. New XP user, and was wondering if there is anything I should make, now,
    (like I did with W98) regarding
    a Bootable floppy (or CD) in case the system goes "bad" ?

    I heard that one can boot from the XP CD that came with the system.

    Is this adequate protection, and all I need ?

    b. Also, what Boot order do you folks recommend for me ?
    I have-

    2 HD's
    Floppy
    DVD reader
    DVD reader/burner

    Why ?

    Thanks,
    Bob
    Robert11, Dec 3, 2004

  2. Robert11

    Rob K Guest

    On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 07:50:58 -0500, Robert11 wrote:

    <snipped>

    > a. New XP user,

    <....>
    > Is this adequate protection, and all I need ?

    Basically, yes. If your CD can't be read, there's help here :
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

    > b. Also, what Boot order do you folks recommend for me ?

    Largely a matter of preference.
    I'd say HD first - then the CD/DVD reader(s).
    Rob K, Dec 3, 2004

  3. Robert11

    Brian Guest

    "Robert11" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hello:
    >
    > a. New XP user, and was wondering if there is anything I should make,

    now,
    > (like I did with W98) regarding
    > a Bootable floppy (or CD) in case the system goes "bad" ?
    >
    > I heard that one can boot from the XP CD that came with the system.
    >
    > Is this adequate protection, and all I need ?

    you can boot and do repairs/installations from a bootable OS CD but you just
    can't beat images and back-ups of a good working system.

    > b. Also, what Boot order do you folks recommend for me ?
    > I have-
    >
    > 2 HD's
    > Floppy
    > DVD reader
    > DVD reader/burner

    whatever u like. you can always change it to fit your needs if you need to
    force a floppy/cd boot although you have a working system and the floppy/cd
    come after the boot HD in the boot order.

    most users go for the 1. floppy 2.cd/dvd 3 HDDs variant

    Brian, Dec 3, 2004
  4. Robert11

    dadiOH Guest

    Robert11 wrote:

    > b. Also, what Boot order do you folks recommend for me ?
    > I have-
    >
    > 2 HD's
    > Floppy
    > DVD reader
    > DVD reader/burner

    1. Floppy
    2. Either DVD
    3. HD

    > Why

    Simplifies life. Takes virtually zero time for BIOS to determine that
    neither floppy or CD are present if your intention is to boot HD.
    OTOH, if you want to boot from floppy or CD all you have to do is
    insert it before booting, no need to go to BIOS to change boot order.
    --
    dadiOH

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...
    dadiOH, Dec 3, 2004