Bootable Flash Drive

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jack Barrack, Aug 29, 2006.

  1. Jack Barrack

    Jack Barrack Guest

    Is it possible to make a flash drive appear as a floppy i.e. boot from
    the flash drive and the computer thinks it's a floppy drive booting
    up?
     
    Jack Barrack, Aug 29, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Jack Barrack

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Jack Barrack <> wrote in
    news::

    > Is it possible to make a flash drive appear as a floppy i.e. boot from
    > the flash drive and the computer thinks it's a floppy drive booting
    > up?
    >


    Look in the bios for "Enable Legacy USB Support"

    --
    Ciao, Dave
     
    Dave Taylor, Aug 29, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jack Barrack

    Jack Barrack Guest

    On 29 Aug 2006 19:55:40 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:

    > Jack Barrack <> wrote in
    > news::
    >
    >> Is it possible to make a flash drive appear as a floppy i.e. boot from
    >> the flash drive and the computer thinks it's a floppy drive booting
    >> up?
    >>

    >
    > Look in the bios for "Enable Legacy USB Support"


    This was already enabled, what's my next move?
     
    Jack Barrack, Aug 29, 2006
    #3
  4. Jack Barrack

    Shank Guest

    Jack Barrack wrote:
    > On 29 Aug 2006 19:55:40 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> Jack Barrack <> wrote in
    >> news::
    >>
    >>> Is it possible to make a flash drive appear as a floppy i.e. boot from
    >>> the flash drive and the computer thinks it's a floppy drive booting
    >>> up?
    >>>

    >> Look in the bios for "Enable Legacy USB Support"

    >
    > This was already enabled, what's my next move?


    Most modern motherboards support boot from usb. If your m/b doesn't have
    it as an option in the boot sequence in the bios, check the
    manufacturer's site for bios updates. You may get lucky.

    Rob

    --
    But I've always wanted to know how to draw my own motion paths in
    powerpoint, haven't you?
     
    Shank, Aug 29, 2006
    #4
  5. Jack Barrack

    Enkidu Guest

    Jack Barrack wrote:
    > On 29 Aug 2006 19:55:40 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> Jack Barrack <> wrote in
    >> news::
    >>
    >>> Is it possible to make a flash drive appear as a floppy i.e. boot from
    >>> the flash drive and the computer thinks it's a floppy drive booting
    >>> up?
    >>>

    >> Look in the bios for "Enable Legacy USB Support"

    >
    > This was already enabled, what's my next move?
    >

    Google. There are any number of tiny Linux distros that supposedly will
    boot from a flash/pen drive. I don't know of any Windows ones, but maybe
    Barts' PE will do it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
     
    Enkidu, Aug 29, 2006
    #5
  6. Jack Barrack wrote:
    > Is it possible to make a flash drive appear as a floppy i.e. boot from
    > the flash drive and the computer thinks it's a floppy drive booting
    > up?


    Note that not all flash drives support this. Mine specifically says in
    the documentation that it does not support booting.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    --
    http://www.sherlocksoftware.org
     
    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 30, 2006
    #6
  7. Jack Barrack

    Jack Barrack Guest

    On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 07:42:03 +1200, Shank wrote:

    > Jack Barrack wrote:
    >> On 29 Aug 2006 19:55:40 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >>> Jack Barrack <> wrote in
    >>> news::
    >>>
    >>>> Is it possible to make a flash drive appear as a floppy i.e. boot from
    >>>> the flash drive and the computer thinks it's a floppy drive booting
    >>>> up?
    >>>>
    >>> Look in the bios for "Enable Legacy USB Support"

    >>
    >> This was already enabled, what's my next move?

    >
    > Most modern motherboards support boot from usb. If your m/b doesn't have
    > it as an option in the boot sequence in the bios, check the
    > manufacturer's site for bios updates. You may get lucky.


    First, thanks to everyone that replied with a suggestion.

    I have no problem making a the flash drive bootable. What I wanted
    (and I'm now reasonable sure it can't be done, is to make the flash
    drive appear as a floppy drive.
    Example: I have a programme which works below the Windows operating
    system to provide restoring when Windows is not accessible. This
    allows a number of actions, one being to allow boot up from a floppy
    drive (only a floppy drive no other drive options are available).
    The more I think about this the more i think it's impossible, if only
    because the A: is assessed.
     
    Jack Barrack, Aug 30, 2006
    #7
  8. Jack Barrack

    Guest

    On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:47:31 +1200, Nicholas Sherlock <> wrote:

    >Jack Barrack wrote:
    >> Is it possible to make a flash drive appear as a floppy i.e. boot from
    >> the flash drive and the computer thinks it's a floppy drive booting
    >> up?

    >
    >Note that not all flash drives support this. Mine specifically says in
    >the documentation that it does not support booting.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Nicholas Sherlock




    I usually depends on the MoBo bios..
     
    , Aug 30, 2006
    #8
  9. Jack Barrack

    Steve Guest

    On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 18:38:23 +1200, Jack Barrack wrote:

    > Is it possible to make a flash drive appear as a floppy i.e. boot from
    > the flash drive and the computer thinks it's a floppy drive booting
    > up?

    If I leave my ipod plugged in, my pc tries to boot from it.
     
    Steve, Aug 30, 2006
    #9
  10. lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz, Aug 30, 2006
    #10
  11. Jack Barrack

    Dave Taylor Guest

    lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote in
    news::

    > It is possible to boot USB from DOS.
    >
    > Computing.Net - USB driver for DOS = USBASPI.SYS
    >
    > Check out :
    >
    > http://www.computing.net/dos/wwwboard/forum/15568.html
    >
    >
    > Lindsay Rollo, Wellington, New Zealand
    >


    I think a DOS ASPI driver for USB is very different than what the OP wants.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
     
    Dave Taylor, Aug 30, 2006
    #11
  12. Jack Barrack

    Brendan Guest

    On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:04:06 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    > Google. There are any number of tiny Linux distros that supposedly will
    > boot from a flash/pen drive. I don't know of any Windows ones, but maybe
    > Barts' PE will do it.


    It will, if configured correctly. There are some ghost images around that
    can be used.

    --

    .... Brendan

    Police arrested two kids yesterday, one was drinking battery
    acid, and the other was eating fireworks. They charged one and let the
    other one off.


    Note: All my comments are copyright 30/08/2006 10:46:37 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
     
    Brendan, Aug 30, 2006
    #12
  13. Jack Barrack

    peterwn Guest

    Jack Barrack wrote:

    > I have no problem making a the flash drive bootable. What I wanted
    > (and I'm now reasonable sure it can't be done, is to make the flash
    > drive appear as a floppy drive.
    > Example: I have a programme which works below the Windows operating
    > system to provide restoring when Windows is not accessible. This
    > allows a number of actions, one being to allow boot up from a floppy
    > drive (only a floppy drive no other drive options are available).
    > The more I think about this the more i think it's impossible, if only
    > because the A: is assessed.


    There are two things to try:
    1. Boot up a computer from the floppy with your intended DOS, and
    format the flash drive with the /sys option. Then copy the rest of the
    floppy content to the flash drive.

    2. If this fails, configure the flash drive as a hard disk with a MBR
    and one or more partitions, flagging the first one as 'bootable'. Then
    use the sys command in a floppy DOS to install the 3-4 essential files
    to the flash drive (they are 'hidden' except for command.com). Then
    copy the rest of the floppy contents to it.

    You cannot just copy the key files from the floppy to the flash drive
    unless you know what you are doing) because the boot loader on the boot
    sector of the flash drive will not be able to find them - it expects to
    find io.sys and msdos.sys as the first and second root directory items.

    I cannot guarantee this, as I have not messed around with bootable
    flash drives, but I am taking an intelligent guess based on my
    knowledge of MBR's, boot sectors etc.
     
    peterwn, Aug 30, 2006
    #13
  14. Jack Barrack

    Jack Barrack Guest

    On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:49:04 +1200, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:

    > It is possible to boot USB from DOS.
    >
    > Computing.Net - USB driver for DOS = USBASPI.SYS
    >
    > Check out :
    >
    > http://www.computing.net/dos/wwwboard/forum/15568.html
    >
    >
    > Lindsay Rollo, Wellington, New Zealand


    Thanks Lindsay, This will take a little reading on my part:)
     
    Jack Barrack, Aug 31, 2006
    #14
  15. Jack Barrack

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-08-30, peterwn <> wrote:
    >
    > Jack Barrack wrote:
    >
    >> I have no problem making a the flash drive bootable. What I wanted
    >> (and I'm now reasonable sure it can't be done, is to make the flash
    >> drive appear as a floppy drive.
    >> Example: I have a programme which works below the Windows operating
    >> system to provide restoring when Windows is not accessible. This
    >> allows a number of actions, one being to allow boot up from a floppy
    >> drive (only a floppy drive no other drive options are available).
    >> The more I think about this the more i think it's impossible, if only
    >> because the A: is assessed.

    >
    > There are two things to try:
    > 1. Boot up a computer from the floppy with your intended DOS, and
    > format the flash drive with the /sys option. Then copy the rest of the
    > floppy content to the flash drive.
    >
    > 2. If this fails, configure the flash drive as a hard disk with a MBR
    > and one or more partitions, flagging the first one as 'bootable'. Then
    > use the sys command in a floppy DOS to install the 3-4 essential files
    > to the flash drive (they are 'hidden' except for command.com). Then
    > copy the rest of the floppy contents to it.
    >
    > You cannot just copy the key files from the floppy to the flash drive
    > unless you know what you are doing) because the boot loader on the boot
    > sector of the flash drive will not be able to find them - it expects to
    > find io.sys and msdos.sys as the first and second root directory items.


    that depends on the dos version, if it's 6 or greater it doesn't need the
    boot files to be first or contiguous.

    to make the flash dvive appear as A I think something can be done using the
    net command (windows) or subst (dos)

    --

    Bye.
    Jasen
     
    jasen, Sep 2, 2006
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Arawak
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    528
    Evil T
    Aug 1, 2003
  2. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    465
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=
    Apr 30, 2007
  3. Alasdair

    Bootable OS on flash drive.

    Alasdair, Aug 29, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    14
    Views:
    4,859
    John Holmes
    Aug 30, 2007
  4. nobody >
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    4,821
    Plato
    Jan 5, 2008
  5. Bootable USB for bootable ISO image?

    , Sep 11, 2009, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,198
Loading...

Share This Page