Bootable CD

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?VGVjaGVhZA==?=, Jan 3, 2006.

  1. There is a great tool for XP (32-bit) that allows you to create a bootable CD
    with utilities for trouble-shooting XP, and getting it back up and running.
    It's called "The Ultimate Bootable CD", and can be found here:

    http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm

    We need this same tool for Windows XP 64-bit Edition. I tried to use the
    same build process for XP 64-bit, however, it doesn't recognize the XP 64-bit
    CD (the build process needs many system files in order to create the bootable
    CD).

    So, would anyone out there in XP 64-bit land care to take a stab at it?
    Personally, I think Microsoft should have created such a tool, but
    hey...................

    All I'm trying to do is boot from a CD and run a virus scanner so that I can
    delete a little bugger that has my system hung. I thought it might have been
    a HW failure, but I was able to run Linux Defender for a few hours without
    any hw issues.

    I currently can't boot from my hard drive (and none of the obvious options
    are working, so please don't suggest "F8", system restore, etc. I'm stuck in
    the "Re-installing Setup" portion of a (failed) "repair" process. The repair
    process repeatedly fails at the "loading drivers" portion, leading me to
    believe that a driver on my system has been infected.

    I don't have a second partition, so I can't (safely) load 2000-Pro, or
    XP-Server in order to boot to another OS and run the virus scanner from
    there. I tried to run a scanner from the Linux Defender bootable-CD, but the
    Captive-NTFS feature that mounts the NTFS drive won't work (I guess I'm not
    clear on the process, or it doesn't work for XP 64-bit).

    So, if anyone knows of an existing XP 64-bit bootable CD solution, or knows
    how to convert the XP-32 bit solution to 64-bit, or how to get Linux
    Defender's "Captive NTFS" feature to mount my (SATA) drive, please let me
    know.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGVjaGVhZA==?=, Jan 3, 2006

  2. If all you need to do is run a virus scanner or delete a file, then you don't
    need to boot with an x64 based CD. You should be able to create and use the
    x86 version of UBCD or even BartPE (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder) to do that.

    Dennis

    --
    Shuttle SN25P XPC
    Athlon XP 64 3500+

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVubmlzIEJhcHRpc3Rh?=, Jan 3, 2006

  3. actually, MS did create such a tool. It's called Windows PE. Unfortunately,
    it is not licensed or available for ordinary mortals.

    This is something that gets fixed in the Vista time frame, but not before.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 3, 2006
  4. Dennis;

    I thought that might be the case, so now I'm at work trying to borrow an XP
    (32) CD. I'll create the PE-builder CD this evening and hopefully I'll be up
    & running before bedtime!

    Thanx!

    Barry

    =?Utf-8?B?VGVjaGVhZA==?=, Jan 3, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?VGVjaGVhZA==?=

    VWWall Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > actually, MS did create such a tool. It's called Windows PE. Unfortunately,
    > it is not licensed or available for ordinary mortals.

    Here is the reference "Techead" mentioned. You can "roll your own"
    "Windows PE", using your own WindowsXP, (32bit), CD. If you use it only
    on your one machine it avoids copyright problems.

    http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm

    Unfortunately, because of the way the WinXPx65 CDs are set up, it won't
    work with them.

    > This is something that gets fixed in the Vista time frame, but not before.

    I hope you're correct, but I suspect it was the license issues that
    stopped a general issue of the tool.

    Actually, to repair most system problems, you don't need to work in the
    OS you are repairing. Thus the original "Ultimate BootCB" will work.
    (Don't tell anyone, but it boots into Linux, and can even "see" NTFS
    partitions.)

    --
    Virg Wall

    VWWall, Jan 3, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?VGVjaGVhZA==?=

    VWWall Guest

    Techead wrote:
    > Dennis;
    >
    > I thought that might be the case, so now I'm at work trying to borrow an XP
    > (32) CD. I'll create the PE-builder CD this evening and hopefully I'll be up
    > & running before bedtime!

    It took me less than one hour, including downloading everything. Make
    sure the WinXP (32bit) CD has SP2, or slipstream SP2 into the source
    before making the bootable CD!

    It may take a bit longer if you need any special drivers.

    --
    Virg Wall

    VWWall, Jan 3, 2006
  7. Dennis:

    Why do I need the SP2 if all I want to do is boot-up and run a virus
    scanner? Can't I get by without SP2 in this case?

    Barry

    =?Utf-8?B?VGVjaGVhZA==?=, Jan 3, 2006
  8. Yes. There IS a 64bit WinPE, however. And the boot process in Vista will be
    based around WinPE.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 4, 2006
  9. Is that 64 bit WinPE only available under volume license, if you purchase
    x64 in 3 Packs, you should be able to get it, right?
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, Jan 4, 2006
  10. Dennis:

    I just confirmed that PE does require SP2. However, I was able to substitute
    the Win2K3 Sever CD instead. So, the build process completed and the CD
    booted. It came up with the error in a CLI box (CMD.exe /k startnet.cmd) that
    stated "startnet.cmd is not a internal or external command", or something to
    that effect. I think I'll need to read the rest of the PE-build instructions;
    I must have forgotten a step somewhere. Any clues?

    Barry

    =?Utf-8?B?VGVjaGVhZA==?=, Jan 4, 2006
  11. Don't know, Andre. I worked with it for the Business Desktop Deployment
    solution. Actually, that would be one way to get it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 4, 2006