    the c.d rom .
    any help appreciated
    john marsden.

    john marsden, Jan 6, 2006

  2. john marsden

    Fred Guest

    "john marsden" <> wrote in message
    news:f2xvf.23779$...
    >i have re fomatted the hard drive,and am trying to re insall windows 98.but
    >it keeps trying to boot up from the hard drive, and it wont let me select
    >the c.d rom .
    > any help appreciated
    > john marsden.

    Change the boot up sequence in BIOS

    Fred, Jan 6, 2006

  3. john marsden

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 17:13:49 +0000, Fred wrote:

    > "john marsden" <> wrote in message
    >>i have re fomatted the hard drive,and am trying to re insall windows 98.but
    >>it keeps trying to boot up from the hard drive, and it wont let me select
    >>the c.d rom .
    >> any help appreciated
    >> john marsden.
    >>

    > Change the boot up sequence in BIOS

    W98 CDs aren't bootable AFAIR....

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Ubuntu 5.10

    Gordon, Jan 6, 2006
  4. john marsden

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 16:38:35 +0000, john marsden wrote:

    > i have re fomatted the hard drive,and am trying to re insall windows 98.but
    > it keeps trying to boot up from the hard drive, and it wont let me select
    > the c.d rom .
    > any help appreciated
    > john marsden.

    Boot from the W98 startup floppy and select the CD rom drive from the dos
    prompt.

    Gordon, Jan 6, 2006
  5. john marsden

    Fred Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 17:13:49 +0000, Fred wrote:
    >

    >> "john marsden" <> wrote in message
    >>>i have re fomatted the hard drive,and am trying to re insall windows
    >>>98.but
    >>>it keeps trying to boot up from the hard drive, and it wont let me select
    >>>the c.d rom .
    >>> any help appreciated
    >>> john marsden.
    >>>

    >> Change the boot up sequence in BIOS

    > W98 CDs aren't bootable AFAIR....

    You are right! missed that!

    Fred, Jan 6, 2006
  6. john marsden

    Zaphod Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 17:13:49 +0000, Fred wrote:
    >

    > > "john marsden" <> wrote in message
    > >>i have re fomatted the hard drive,and am trying to re insall windows 98.but
    > >>it keeps trying to boot up from the hard drive, and it wont let me select
    > >>the c.d rom .
    > >> any help appreciated
    > >> john marsden.
    > >>

    > > Change the boot up sequence in BIOS

    > W98 CDs aren't bootable AFAIR....
    >
    > --
    > Registered Linux User no 240308
    > Ubuntu 5.10
    > gordonDOTburgessparkerATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
    > to email me replace the obvious!

    I changed the bios to bootup from the CD on my Win98 computer and it
    worked.

    David

    Zaphod, Jan 6, 2006
  7. john marsden

    AGEE Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 17:26:42 +0000, Gordon
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 17:13:49 +0000, Fred wrote:
    >

    >> "john marsden" <> wrote in message
    >>>i have re fomatted the hard drive,and am trying to re insall windows 98.but
    >>>it keeps trying to boot up from the hard drive, and it wont let me select
    >>>the c.d rom .
    >>> any help appreciated
    >>> john marsden.
    >>>

    >> Change the boot up sequence in BIOS

    >W98 CDs aren't bootable AFAIR....

    They are but it's better to copy the install files to the hard drive
    and install from there. Stops the system asking for the install media
    when anything is changed.

    Assuming user has minimal knowledge of command line

    Boot using the W98 floppy
    Select CD support (can't recall the exact wording on the menu)

    Don't type the quotes in the following
    At the command prompt type 'MD c:\win98' and hit enter key

    Then type 'E:' and hit enter key (assumes your CD drive has been
    allocated the E letter. If it hasn't you need to experiment.)

    At the E:\ prompt type' CD win98' and hit enter.

    At the E:\win98 prompt type 'copy *.* c:\win98' and hit the enter
    key (space after copy and after *.*)

    After all the cab files have copied type 'c:' and hit the enter key

    At the C:\ prompt type 'CD win98' and hit enter

    At the C:\win98 prompt type 'setup' and hit enter.

    Follow the prompts from thereon.

    AGEE, Jan 6, 2006