    Does anyone know if you can set up a boot up password in Win XP the way you
    can have it in Win 98SE? All I can see in XP is a setup for a user once
    windoz loads up, a set up for user accounts and preferences?

    amadeus, Jan 27, 2007

  2. amadeus

    Notan Guest

    amadeus wrote:
    > Does anyone know if you can set up a boot up password in Win XP the way you
    > can have it in Win 98SE? All I can see in XP is a setup for a user once
    > windoz loads up, a set up for user accounts and preferences?

    Check your BIOS.

    --
    Notan
    Notan, Jan 27, 2007

  3. amadeus

    Todd H. Guest

    "amadeus" <> writes:

    > Does anyone know if you can set up a boot up password in Win XP the way you
    > can have it in Win 98SE? All I can see in XP is a setup for a user once
    > windoz loads up, a set up for user accounts and preferences?

    Boot passwords or power on passwords that I think you're describing
    are a function of the BIOS, not the operating system. It's not really
    a Windows 98SE vs XP question.

    So depending on your computer hardware, what you seek is probably
    available, but would have to be enabled in the BIOS. Look for
    whatever key you need to push to modify BIOS settings when you first
    turn on your computer.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/
    Todd H., Jan 27, 2007
  4. amadeus wrote:
    > Does anyone know if you can set up a boot up password in Win XP the way you
    > can have it in Win 98SE? All I can see in XP is a setup for a user once
    > windoz loads up, a set up for user accounts and preferences?

    If it is indeed Windows you mean (and not the BIOS), you can protect the
    SAM database with a user password

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310105
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?j=F8rgen?=, Jan 27, 2007
  5. amadeus

    nemo_outis Guest

    "amadeus" <> wrote in

    > Does anyone know if you can set up a boot up password in Win XP the
    > way you can have it in Win 98SE? All I can see in XP is a setup for a
    > user once windoz loads up, a set up for user accounts and preferences?

    Standard Windows XP does not have this feature intrinsically but does make
    it fairly easy to do by facilitating swapping (or complementing) the
    standard msgina.dll for (with) another custom one.

    A number of third-party vendors produce custom GINAs for smart-card
    authentication, password prompting, etc. There are also some malware
    replacement ginas that subsequently steal the ordinary logon password, etc.

    One of the more interesting Ginas is TCGINA which allows Truecrypt to be
    used for encrypting much of a user's profile including registry settings,
    etc. See: http://www.truecrypt.org/third-party-projects/tcgina/

    Google on Gina for lots more.

    Regards,
    nemo_outis, Jan 27, 2007
  6. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?j=F8rgen?=, Jan 27, 2007
  7. amadeus

    nemo_outis Guest

    jørgen <jamen@invalid> wrote in news:45bb8203$0$15888
    $:

    > nemo_outis wrote:
    >> Standard Windows XP does not have this feature

    > Actually it does
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310105

    Excellent point!

    I was going to also suggest using GRUB or some other bootloader with a
    password but like the Gina variants that wouldn't be particularly strong.

    Regards,
    nemo_outis, Jan 27, 2007
  8. amadeus

    amadeus Guest

    "nemo_outis" <> wrote in message
    > jørgen <jamen@invalid> wrote in news:45bb8203$0$15888
    > $:
    >
    >> nemo_outis wrote:
    >>> Standard Windows XP does not have this feature

    >> Actually it does
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310105
    >>

    > Excellent point!
    >
    > I was going to also suggest using GRUB or some other bootloader with a
    > password but like the Gina variants that wouldn't be particularly strong.
    >
    > Regards,

    Thanks for your help everyone, I think it's the BIOS bootup I want

    amadeus, Jan 27, 2007